A-Rod could have already hit #500

bferin

Jul 14, 2006
Now I hope I don't get any negative feedback because I am a Yankees fan, and follow them very closely. Just an interesting article I was reading a second ago.

On Friday, the Yankees play a make up game for the June 28 game that was delayed. If A-Rod, who sits on career HR #499, doesn't hit a home run in tonight's game, but hits one tomorrow night during the make up game, it will mean be recorded as a HR on June 28. Therefore, his HR he hit last night, #499, will actually be recorded as #500. Just food for thought.

The Official Site of The New York Yankees: News: New York Yankees News

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Are you sure? I thought it would be chronological in the record books. Would be cool trivia, but I bet that next one would be his official 500. He needs to stay healthy for a while so he can end all the bonds nonsense.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
I heard the same thing this morning on Mike and Mike. They said the Elias Sports the regulates all the stats, said that in a case like this the homerun and/or any stats from the continuation game will be recorded as if it were on June 28th. This would make the homerun he hit last night be his 500th. This would not be affected if he hits one tonight or not, the only way this is an issue is if he hits one in the remainder of the June 28th game.

Do you think they do this stuff just to **** with all of us? It seems like the farthest thing from common sense to make that outcome.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
He might catch Barry soon at this rate. He just turned 32. Barry better hit 800-900 like that Japanese slugger what's his name.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
This has always kind of bothered me.

Does anyone know why, in Major League Baseball, sometimes they will suspend the game because of weather and finish it on a later date, and other times they will just erase the stats and start from scratch in a double header if it is before the bottom of the fifth, or they'll call it a complete game if it reaches the bottom of the fifth?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I heard the same thing this morning on Mike and Mike. They said the Elias Sports the regulates all the stats, said that in a case like this the homerun and/or any stats from the continuation game will be recorded as if it were on June 28th. This would make the homerun he hit last night be his 500th. This would not be affected if he hits one tonight or not, the only way this is an issue is if he hits one in the remainder of the June 28th game.

The key point is that it is the resumption of a suspended game, and not a new start to a postponed game. Since the game has already started (and was suspended in the 8th inning, IIRC), there are stats that are more or less sitting in a vacuum until the game finishes.

It's similar to the premise of "Mr. 3000" -- Bernie Mac's three hits from a suspended game were inadvertently counted twice, giving him 2997 instead of 3000 for his career. Hence the comeback, blah blah blah.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
This has always kind of bothered me.

Does anyone know why, in Major League Baseball, sometimes they will suspend the game because of weather and finish it on a later date, and other times they will just erase the stats and start from scratch in a double header if it is before the bottom of the fifth, or they'll call it a complete game if it reaches the bottom of the fifth?

The top of the 8th was in progress, and NY had scored twice to take an 8-6 lead. However, the game was tied 6-6 after 7, which is where the score would have reverted to in any other instance. But, you can't have a regulation tie (unless you're at the 2002 All-Star Game). Plus, they had played more than 5 innings, so the game is official and can't be started from scratch.

Had NY been ahead after 7, they'd likely have gotten the rain-shortened W.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
The top of the 8th was in progress, and NY had scored twice to take an 8-6 lead. However, the game was tied 6-6 after 7, which is where the score would have reverted to in any other instance. But, you can't have a regulation tie (unless you're at the 2002 All-Star Game). Plus, they had played more than 5 innings, so the game is official and can't be started from scratch.

Had NY been ahead after 7, they'd likely have gotten the rain-shortened W.

Appreciate that.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Appreciate that.

I screwed that up a bit, now that I found an accurate boxscore. Baltimore was ahead 6-4 after 7, but since NY took the lead and was still batting, they can't revert back to the end of 7 for the final. Wouldn't really be fair to either team if one was declared the winner in this situation.

Had NY scored 0 or 1 and their at-bat been concluded, then Baltimore would have won in 8 innings (7 1/2, in reality).