A11 offense

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
After one school used this extensively, the High School rules were changed in such a way that this offense became very neutered. Not sure about college.

Why were the HS rules changed? Does this scheme somehow increase the risk of injury to players?

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Why were the HS rules changed? Does this scheme somehow increase the risk of injury to players?

I could write several paragraphs on this, but I'll just give a brief overview!

The A11 offense originally took advantage of a loophole in the rules that said if in punt or field goal formation (Scrimmage kick formation), the numbering requirements (ineligible linemen wearing 50-79) went away. The intent of that rule was to allow players who normally play other positions to serve as blockers on punts and filed goals.

The A11 pioneers just had their QB stand more than 7-10 yards deep in shotgun formation, so, technically, he was in "scrimmage kick formation" -- this allowed the linemen to wear any number. There was no intent to punt. The QB could then legally pass the ball to any player, so long as they were eligible by position (ie, on the end of the line or in the backfield.) So, if your left guard wore #88 and took a step back into the backfield more than 1 second before the snap, he could go downfield and catch a pass. Anyone could catch a pass so long as they were eligible by position.

The rule was changed a couple years later, my understanding is for 2 reasons:
1. It was never the intent of the powers that be to have this happen -- the rule was for the purpose of punts & field goals only.
2. It was extremely hard to officiate. The covering officials would have to essentially memorize the position of all 11 players just 1-2 seconds prior to the snap . . .essentially, that's impossible to do.

(I've officiated high school FB and would agree with point 2, though I never ran into this formation ran on purpose!)

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I could write several paragraphs on this, but I'll just give a brief overview!

The A11 offense originally took advantage of a loophole in the rules that said if in punt or field goal formation (Scrimmage kick formation), the numbering requirements (ineligible linemen wearing 50-79) went away. The intent of that rule was to allow players who normally play other positions to serve as blockers on punts and filed goals.

The A11 pioneers just had their QB stand more than 7-10 yards deep in shotgun formation, so, technically, he was in "scrimmage kick formation" -- this allowed the linemen to wear any number. There was no intent to punt. The QB could then legally pass the ball to any player, so long as they were eligible by position (ie, on the end of the line or in the backfield.) So, if your left guard wore #88 and took a step back into the backfield more than 1 second before the snap, he could go downfield and catch a pass. Anyone could catch a pass so long as they were eligible by position.

The rule was changed a couple years later, my understanding is for 2 reasons:
1. It was never the intent of the powers that be to have this happen -- the rule was for the purpose of punts & field goals only.
2. It was extremely hard to officiate. The covering officials would have to essentially memorize the position of all 11 players just 1-2 seconds prior to the snap . . .essentially, that's impossible to do.

(I've officiated high school FB and would agree with point 2, though I never ran into this formation ran on purpose!)

I didn't think High School had position number requirements.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I didn't think High School had position number requirements.
Rule 7-3 2013 NFHS Football Rules Page 58
ART. 5 . . . Player formation and numbering requirements include:
a. At the snap, at least seven A players shall be on their line of scrimmage.
b. At the snap, at least five A players on their line of scrimmage must be numbered 50-79.
EXCEPTIONS:
1. On first, second or third down, when A sets or shifts into a scrimmage-kick formation as in 2-14-2a, the snapper may be a player numbered 1 to 49 or 80 to 99. If Team A has the snapper in the game under this exception, Team A shall have at least four players wearing numbers 50-79 on its line of scrimmage. The snapper in the game under this exception must be between the ends and is an ineligible forwardpass receiver during that down unless the pass is touched by B (7-5-6b).
2. On fourth down or during a kick try, when A sets or shifts into a scrimmage-kick formation, any A player numbered 1 to 49 or 80 to 99 may take the position of any A player numbered 50 to 79. A player in the game under this exception must assume an initial position on his line of scrimmage between the ends and he remains an ineligible forward-pass receiver during that down unless the pass is touched by B (7-5- 6b).
c. Players of the same team shall not participate during the same down while wearing identical numbers.
d. B players may be anywhere on or behind their line of scrimmage

Source: https://ihsaa-static.s3.amazonaws.c...ball Information/2013 Football Rules Book.pdf

Help Support Us

Become a patron