Above Ground Pools

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's funny because those are 3 different characters. It was just his schtick. Kind of like Bobcat Goldthwait.

Yeah that's what I meant...all had different names but were basically the exact same character, and they were essentially the way he was as an MTV VJ.

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Spent around 800 bucks on an 18’ intex pool a couple years ago. The ground needs to be perfectly level to put it up. We had about a 4 or 5 inch downslope and it was enough that the filter acted goofy on the top side. I was also worried that if the side broke out from not being level, all the water would end up in our neighbors house.

I later pumped all the water back out to try and level it out only for a windstorm to throw it on top of our play set and puncture a bunch of holes in it. The worst 800 dollars I’ve ever spent. It was up long enough to completely kill an 18’ diameter circle in our backyard that has taken a couple years to fill back in

We ended up with a trampoline instead and are much happier. The kids use it alllll the time. In the summer the sprinkler below gets used constantly. 300 bucks for the trampoline and 30 bucks for the sprinkler. No maintenance and still get the water aspect.

The sprinkler.
https://tinyurl.com/y8xz8pw5

The trampoline we got and have been satisfied with.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/15ft-trampolin-wgame-dotcom-2018/prod22411688?xid=plp_product_1_9

The pool we put up.
https://www.intexcorp.com/products/...tra-xtr-frame-pool-set-with-sand-filter-pump/

I had to laugh about that as the same thing happened to my neighbor. It was very entertaining to watch the whole calamity. He finally had a guy with a bobcat come in and level a spot for the pool. He spread the waste soil all around against his side of the fence. That created a dam so that when he drained the pool he had a backyard full of water. Had to shovel a bunch of waste soil away from the fence so that the backyard could drain. I think that his daughter used it twice last summer.

Now he has a big round dead spot in his backyard and I don't know if he'll even put the thing back up this summer or not. He got 2 1/2 summers out of it so far.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
FWIW, I know two families that have them and both said the setup is time consuming, but not difficult. Also it's a two person job.

Yes I can testify to this. My parents had one for about 10 years and ended up selling it because setup each year was a pain in the ass. I was always the one who had to go in the cold ass water to hook up hoses and what not.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Well thank you everyone for all the warm and fuzzy feelings about this wonderful idea.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I had to laugh about that as the same thing happened to my neighbor. It was very entertaining to watch the whole calamity. He finally had a guy with a bobcat come in and level a spot for the pool. He spread the waste soil all around against his side of the fence. That created a dam so that when he drained the pool he had a backyard full of water. Had to shovel a bunch of waste soil away from the fence so that the backyard could drain. I think that his daughter used it twice last summer.

Now he has a big round dead spot in his backyard and I don't know if he'll even put the thing back up this summer or not. He got 2 1/2 summers out of it so far.
If it comes down to me renting a bobcat or some other small implement, my kids are just have to be ok with a slip and slide.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

My backyard neighbor got one because his daughter begged for it, so he was proactive and leveled the yard and put down a concrete slab to sit it on.

I think I saw her swimming maybe twice, and he ended up going apeshit on the pool and destroyed it. Now he just has a random round slap in the middle of his backyard.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My in-laws have one. I think they've enjoyed having it, but I also know it's a massive headache. I'm glad to live close enough we can go over there if need be without having to maintain the damn thing.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I have some friends that have gone with the above ground pool but both of them really did it right...built a nice deck around the whole thing. Really made a it a nice hang out spot for older kids.

I was actually just thinking about getting one last night but was more thinking the larger ones that I could build a nice deck around. Wonder if 10K would do it all?? Either way my yard has a pretty sizable slop so I'm thinking the leveling of the yard around the current deck would be the biggest pain.

FYI - my friends that have them pretty much all like them but again...you need to spend more money, get a nice big pool and put a deck around it.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Also, the sprinkler+trampoline idea -- isn't that a horrifying series of injuries all summer long? We had a trampoline with the net enclosure, but to make it slippery I would think even lightweight bounceable kids would be tearing ACLs and MCLs and labrums on a weekly basis.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
My advice would be to start small, we got a little ahead of ourselves last year and ended up wasting about $1000 bucks total. Last years heavy rains made our ground so soft that after leveling out and filling with water, it sunk, ended up tearing, leaking and creating a huge mess in the yard. The best part was, the kid had much more fun playing in the muddy aftermath than he did the few weeks the pool was up and running.

Basically I feel like, unless you know what you're doing, its going to be some trial and error. We are going to try again this year with a smaller pool that would be easier to take down and move if we want or run in to issues in the current location.

Oddly enough, last year, i was the one who didn't want the pool but after just the little time we had one last summer, I felt like I needed one this year. I couldn't let my floating cooler and lounger go to waste. I also think I go used to the post work/mowing/any excuse ....cocktails and fatty in the pool. Tough to beat on a hot summer day.

Last edited:

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Also, the sprinkler+trampoline idea -- isn't that a horrifying series of injuries all summer long? We had a trampoline with the net enclosure, but to make it slippery I would think even lightweight bounceable kids would be tearing ACLs and MCLs and labrums on a weekly basis.

Never had an issue with anyone getting hurt and it gets used a lot.

Reactions: CascadeClone

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Never had an issue with anyone getting hurt and it gets used a lot.

seems pretty hard for injuries to occur on a trampoline, we also have had the same one for 6 years, wow that thing has got used over and over and over and over and over. im gonna buy a new in a 2-3 probably, maybe a bigger one. i take the net down every winter but just leave the rest up.

yes it stinks that pool probably isnt going to open, and having a pool would be brilliant and we would definitely use it all the time because we go to the pool 4-5x a week, but looking at the options i agree, major money needs to be spent to do it correct, and would much prefer the pool, and one season without the pool does not justify buying one. there are lakes to go to if needed.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I have some friends that have gone with the above ground pool but both of them really did it right...built a nice deck around the whole thing. Really made a it a nice hang out spot for older kids.

I was actually just thinking about getting one last night but was more thinking the larger ones that I could build a nice deck around. Wonder if 10K would do it all?? Either way my yard has a pretty sizable slop so I'm thinking the leveling of the yard around the current deck would be the biggest pain.

FYI - my friends that have them pretty much all like them but again...you need to spend more money, get a nice big pool and put a deck around it.

This. My wife's grandparents have a deck around 90% of theirs and her aunt and uncle have one on one end but it is big enough for 10+ people plus the yard chair/sofa stuff they have on there and the small slide that goes off of it into the pool.

Even if it is a multi year project a deck around most of it is a must.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This. My wife's grandparents have a deck around 90% of theirs and her aunt and uncle have one on one end but it is big enough for 10+ people plus the yard chair/sofa stuff they have on there and the small slide that goes off of it into the pool.

Even if it is a multi year project a deck around most of it is a must.
Well if that’s the deck is the only way to do it right, then I’m getting out the hose, dish soap, and a big ass tarp because that ain’t happenin.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Well if that’s the deck is the only way to do it right, then I’m getting out the hose, dish soap, and a big ass tarp because that ain’t happenin.

It takes it from something to just swim in to something that can be enjoyed by all swimming or not. Just like sitting by the pool/beach on vacation.

• Winner

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron