Above Ground Pools

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yes, put a in a 16x32 oval, dug it 2 feet in ground, then a 7ft deep end, with a full deck. For the deck, 4 ft and overall 30x40 with a bump out section. The pool is plumbed like and inground and I use both a sand and cartridge filter, that I can double filter or switch to one to finish out the season. Heated with a bypass option to save running water through the heater if not using.
After replacing the heater core, every few years, I insisted that they install bypass valves so that I didn’t could run the filter without running water with bad PH through the heater core. We’ll see how many years we get from this heater core.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
After replacing the heater core, every few years, I insisted that they install bypass valves so that I didn’t could run the filter without running water with bad PH through the heater core. We’ll see how many years we get from this heater core.
Where is your chlorine feeder compared to the previous heater setup?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Waiting on some invites. I'll bring the greased watermelon.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
My parents have a deck built around theirs. They just drain it. Below the skimmer thingie and put a cover over it in the winter. They also use a solar cover to heat it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I ain’t sure what he means by greased watermelon so I’m avoiding that one.
76c1db2d-6bad-4e90-8651-939beb7e560d_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BCClone and JM4CY

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
So for some reason after the debacle we had (spelled out earlier in this thread) my wife convinced me to get another, smaller, above ground pool. It’s a 12’ intex sitting on the new pad we poured.

The issue is the chemical balance. I feel like I’m trying to take care of a 20,000 gallon pool. I can’t get a free chlorine level to stay more than like a half a day.

I started using granular chlorine (mixed well with a push broom) and algaecide. I used some ph down based on some junk ass test strips but ultimately had to drain the pool because of my dumbass putting holes in the liner next to some landscaping blocks. I bought some better test strips and found the ph was ok. I googled and found the chlorine and algaecide might be antagonistic with each other, so I settled on trying to get the chlorine balanced first but it isn’t happening. I filled it using Ankeny tap water.

Any suggestions?

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
So for some reason after the debacle we had (spelled out earlier in this thread) my wife convinced me to get another, smaller, above ground pool. It’s a 12’ intex sitting on the new pad we poured.

The issue is the chemical balance. I feel like I’m trying to take care of a 20,000 gallon pool. I can’t get a free chlorine level to stay more than like a half a day.

I started using granular chlorine (mixed well with a push broom) and algaecide. I used some ph down based on some junk ass test strips but ultimately had to drain the pool because of my dumbass putting holes in the liner next to some landscaping blocks. I bought some better test strips and found the ph was ok. I googled and found the chlorine and algaecide might be antagonistic with each other, so I settled on trying to get the chlorine balanced first but it isn’t happening. I filled it using Ankeny tap water.

Any suggestions?
What does the chem balance say from the tap?

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Something is eating the chlorine. Easy to start over? Clean the filter, or better a new filter. Run pump with nothing added to the pool for 24 hours. What is the chem reading.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Something is eating the chlorine. Easy to start over? Clean the filter, or better a new filter. Run pump with nothing added to the pool for 24 hours. What is the chem reading.

The kids use the pool for probably 3 hours a day on average. I’ve been cleaning the filter every 2-3 days for the last couple weeks because I realized that’s how often it gets gunked up.

If I leave the pool for a day or two with the pump running the test strips will read nothing. The only time they’ve ever read any FC is the morning after I added the chlorine.

I added enough chlorine two nights ago to read ideal on my test strips yesterday morning. By last night, it was reading zero.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

I just added chlorine about a hour ago but the chlorine will be reading by .5 in the morning and nothing by tomorrow night. I had the same readings when I added it two days ago.

AEBE36A5-3899-4313-A24D-C6E596402610.jpeg

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I just added chlorine about a hour ago but the chlorine will be reading by .5 in the morning and nothing by tomorrow night. I had the same readings when I added it two days ago.

View attachment 113901
In CR there a great spa store that does detailed water testing. Find one in Ankeny that has a spin water tester … take your tap water you would use to fill the pool, and your no FC pool water.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron