Acapulco

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/27/acapulco-mexico-murder-capital/?preview_id=2767069

Elvis Presley would not be happy. Cancun and others have been invaded by pure thugs. It is no longer a destination site. Better take a cruise around Mexico. Thought this an OT due to the fact many like to travel south for a vacation.
It'd be nice if they could just re-do Acapulco. The sight is spectacular, right where the mountains meat the ocean at a perfectly c-shaped bay with an island in the middle of it. When I was there 20 years ago, it was kind of dingy, with too many high rise hotels crowded together and a reminder of the poverty with slums on the northern hills overlooking the resort area. I don't imagine it's gotten any better.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Acapulco has been ****** for sometime. Not sure why you are trying to tie this Acapulco article to Cancun. I feel safer in the hotel zone at Cancun or at the Royal Haciendas in Playa del Carmen then I do near the Hennepin and 4th/5th/6th Ave areas in downtown Minneapolis anytime outside of 8-5 work hours. With that said the recent news stories on bad booze and such is a little concerning but I am not at all-inclusives and not drinking booze, only beer.

Here's what the state Department currently says about the two areas:

Guerrero (includes Acapulco, Ixtapa, Taxco, and Zihuatanejo): Personal travel to the entire state of Guerrero, including Acapulco, is prohibited for U.S. government personnel. Self-defense groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Armed members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and, although not considered hostile to foreigners or tourists, are suspicious of outsiders and should be considered volatile and unpredictable. (In other words, don't ******* go there.)

Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred. (In other words, be aware of what the hell is going on around you just like you would in a big city in the states and don't hang around in Cancun proper, stay in the resort/hotel zone.)

I'd be more concerned about areas with more cautions that are popular for Americans like Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta.

All the Mexican state travel warnings:
https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Rahm Emanuel's campaign slogan: "At least we're not Acapulco ".