Acreage tips from the Fanatics

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
I’d hire someone to move snow and mow unless it’s something you enjoy doing and can justify the time suck.
If it is something you want to do yourself then get the best tools you can.
You will need a tractor of some kind a spreader and pasture / arena grooming tools. ABI makes nice utility tractor sized implements. I have one of their ground drive spreaders and it’s great.

Reactions: cdnlngld

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
There's many things to consider if you're boarding horses for others. Make sure your insurance carrier is aware of this, most personal insurance for a homeowner won't cover horse boarding and you will need to get proper coverage. You're going to need a good source of hay as well, especially if you plan on keeping the horses in the stalls overnight and not on the pasture full time. You're going to need some kind of tractor so that you can also work the ground in the riding arena, the ground will get packed down from riding and you will need to be able to harrow or work up the ground routinely.

You'll also need some good people skills, horse owners want their horse treated with the highest level of care, and will expect you to able to give that at all times. Keep in mind that you'll also need a reliable source of help that can do the chores when you are gone when you want to get away. Good

There's many things to consider if you're boarding horses for others. Make sure your insurance carrier is aware of this, most personal insurance for a homeowner won't cover horse boarding and you will need to get proper coverage. You're going to need a good source of hay as well, especially if you plan on keeping the horses in the stalls overnight and not on the pasture full time. You're going to need some kind of tractor so that you can also work the ground in the riding arena, the ground will get packed down from riding and you will need to be able to harrow or work up the ground routinely.

You'll also need some good people skills, horse owners want their horse treated with the highest level of care, and will expect you to able to give that at all times. Keep in mind that you'll also need a reliable source of help that can do the chores when you are gone when you want to get away. Good luck!
We are currently quoting insurance. Our current insurer(nationwide) has farm and ranch coverage. As I understatnd it, any clients that we are boarding for will also be required to carry renters insurance. If we do self care, we are basicly going to grant access to the facilities, all other responsibilities(food/water/care/placement) fall on the owner. I imagine we will have to grant tenants access to our water supply(Xenia) and I understand our water bill is going to be high. I was thinking about having a well installed, if our HOA allows, for watering the horses.

Tractor is on the radar. I am thinking a bucket, mower deck, and whtever impliment we will need to harrow the areana and smoth/rake out the surface material. I guess the previous owners had to dig up 3 feet of ground because the owners before them had let the ground get so compacted.

Last edited:

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny

You'll also need some good people skills, horse owners want their horse treated with the highest level of care, and will expect you to able to give that at all times. Keep in mind that you'll also need a reliable source of help that can do the chores when you are gone when you want to get away. Good luck!
Agree on the liability insurance! The guy below sponsors a few of the horse shows my daughter participates in.

Mike Grandgeorge / American National Insurance!

• Informative

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
What's your driveway like? Mine gets so drifted over that I run out of places to push the snow with just a tractor blade and bucket. A snowblower attachment for my tractor will be my next purchase.
Gravel driveway. I don't really know how drifting will be yet. we take possession in June.

Last edited:

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
if you’re looking to save pennies, i would suggest contacting a realtor and selling your acreage ASAP. I love living on an acreage but it isn’t cheap.

You might as well bite the bullet and get your tractor, zero turn and tractor mounted snow blower now as it’s going to be tough to be out there without those.

Also, think through what happens during a 3 day blizzard and you and yourself family can’t get to town.

• Winner
Reactions: CYDJ and aauummm

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
I had 2 acres to mow before I moved to N.C. I had a craftsman rider with a 54inch deck. Took about 2 hours.

I also had a snow blade attachment and I dropped the deck and used it as a “tractor” with a wagon for light yard work.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
It will have five foot drifts of heavy snow and you will curse your existence.
I will add, this doesn't happen very often. Maybe 2-3 times a year. So, might be more cost-effective to find someone to clear your driveway a couple times a year. Nearby farmer with snowblower attachment on their tractor would be ideal. We had to hire a local construction company with a huge end-loader after the big storm.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Don't want to rain on your parade but maybe those things should have been budgeted before the purchase. What about manure handling and disposal? Liability insurance for those on your property? Self care until the tenant doesn't show up for a day or two? Snow removal so the tenants can get to their chores?
We have budgeted for the tractor, but I want to start out with bare necesities and upgrade as needed later. There is an existing manure pile, I will have a bucket on the tractor, and I understand we will need to find a farmer or someone else to take the manure. If tennants don't show up to care for their horse, that is on them. We are planning on putting a couple of bunks in the bar/workshop area of the barn so that if need be, people can overnigt, if weather is bad. We have a couple of friends that board horses and will take a look at their contracts. As far as I know, we can evict someone whenever, if they are not properly caring for their horses. I also have 6 kids who would be willing to do chores, if needed. As we go along and get more comfortable and knowlegable about equine care, I think we can start to offer some care items for boarding.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Also, can't tell from your picture but if possible plant wind break trees now on the north and west sides of your property.
woods are aplenty on the north side of teh property(timber adjacent) we are also slightly doown hill from teh egde of the property.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Don't want to rain on your parade but maybe those things should have been budgeted before the purchase. What about manure handling and disposal? Liability insurance for those on your property? Self care until the tenant doesn't show up for a day or two? Snow removal so the tenants can get to their chores?
JFC hes asking for help. get your boomer ******** out of here

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Lol! Chastising someone for budgeting when you don't know their financial situation is a bold move.
I don't know his/her financial situation but when they indicated they didn't want to lay out the 30K up front for items they thought they might eventually want/need had me thinking in that direction and I was including other things that may not have been accounted for.

Reactions: aauummm

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
I will add, this doesn't happen very often. Maybe 2-3 times a year. So, might be more cost-effective to find someone to clear your driveway a couple times a year. Nearby farmer with snowblower attachment on their tractor would be ideal. We had to hire a local construction company with a huge end-loader after the big storm.
It’s been 7 years since I left Iowa but drifts like that happened maybe 1-2 times per 20 years. The worst I can remember was the winter of 2009-2010. That was epic level drifts. I was actually told by a state trooper that I couldn’t leave town to go to work at like 6am. When I finally was able to leave I remember snow drifts on HWY 42 towards Grimes at least 4 feet above my truck.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
This will probably step on some toes but I sold feed for 15 years and have known several individuals who have run boarding stables. When dealing with horses the biggest issue is Accounts Receivables. Most horses do not cash flow very well and this can be a constant struggle.

The other piece of advice I'd offer is call around to other stable sin the Midwest and find out what the going rate is. Just to make sure it makes sense.

FYI - Rural wedding/event venues can be insanely profitable. As well as Agrotourism.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
We have budgeted for the tractor, but I want to start out with bare necesities and upgrade as needed later. There is an existing manure pile, I will have a bucket on the tractor, and I understand we will need to find a farmer or someone else to take the manure. If tennants don't show up to care for their horse, that is on them. We are planning on putting a couple of bunks in the bar/workshop area of the barn so that if need be, people can overnigt, if weather is bad. We have a couple of friends that board horses and will take a look at their contracts. As far as I know, we can evict someone whenever, if they are not properly caring for their horses. I also have 6 kids who would be willing to do chores, if needed. As we go along and get more comfortable and knowlegable about equine care, I think we can start to offer some care items for boarding.
One thought re: manure would be to borrow a spreader from a neighbor and spread it on your own pasture. Although you may find someone willing to take it for free.

Old87

Sep 30, 2012
I moved to a small acreage 7 years ago. Ten acres, mow about 4.5. The best advice that I can give you is to purchase a John Deere 1025r tractor with a front loader, a 60” drive over quick connect deck, and a blade for pushing snow. The 1025r is a great size for a small acreage. The best feature is the ease of changing attachments. I can remove/install the mower or loader in less than two minutes. No heavy lifting required. If you plan on using the 3 point on the rear of the tractor, get a quick hitch and make sure that your attachments are quick hitch compatible.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron