AD Barta: "I like where we're headed"

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Right, well Iowa has won 4 of the last 6 against Iowa State but ISU fans were still predicting an ISU win this year... at Iowa. Remember the ISU Prediction thread during Iowa week? 95% of the bets were for ISU winning.

So really, calling Iowa fans delusional to expect wins over Indiana and Wisconsin, and *hope* for wins against Illinois and Penn State is slightly hypocritical given the circumstances.

I would take ISU over Iowa, especially on a dry field, home or away.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I didn't once say or endorse the notion that you are delusional, just that your line of reasoning for supposing a win over Illinois or Penn State - that it was reasonable given your recent history - applied consistently over your next 4 games means that you might just expect losses at Indiana and against Wisconsin at home as well...

The delusional comment was in response to another poster - I'm really horrible about multi-quoting things.

Anyways, IMO, there's about an equal chance that Iowa goes 1-3 as 3-1. I just prefer to be optimistic :)

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
The delusional comment was in response to another poster - I'm really horrible about multi-quoting things.

Anyways, IMO, there's about an equal chance that Iowa goes 1-3 as 3-1. I just prefer to be optimistic :)

I think there's a much better chance that Iowa goes 1-3 as going 3-1. I think the odds of going 3-1 are about the same as going 0-4.

I liked Iowa's odds against Michigan State more than I like them against Indiana. I actually think Iowa might have a better shot at Wisconsin than it does at Indiana. I wouldn't be amazingly surprised to see Iowa lose at Indiana, beat Wisconsin and then lose to Penn State and Illinois.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I think there's a much better chance that Iowa goes 1-3 as going 3-1. I think the odds of going 3-1 are about the same as going 0-4.

I liked Iowa's odds against Michigan State more than I like them against Indiana. I actually think Iowa might have a better shot at Wisconsin than it does at Indiana. I wouldn't be amazingly surprised to see Iowa lose at Indiana, beat Wisconsin and then lose to Penn State and Illinois.

Kellen Lewis has been battling injuries. He isn't going to be 100% this weekend. And the Iowa players know that this is a must win as the next few games will not be easy at all. Indiana is not as strong as the past couple of years.

But I do agree that Iowa matches up best against Wisconsin out of those 4 teams.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
While Iowa may match up the best against UW (and maybe PSU), Iowa players *should* want revenge against Indiana, especially after the last two years. I hope the coaches are using video of Lewis cart-wheeling into the endzone or whatever he did (I don't know gymnastics) as a motivational tool.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Kellen Lewis has been battling injuries. He isn't going to be 100% this weekend. And the Iowa players know that this is a must win as the next few games will not be easy at all. Indiana is not as strong as the past couple of years.

But I do agree that Iowa matches up best against Wisconsin out of those 4 teams.

It's @Indiana, though. Not that they have a huge home field advantage, but Iowa doesn't have their home field advantage. I know they aren't as good as they've been, but Iowa isn't as good as they've been either. Iowa came in with a decent team a couple years ago and got beat. Just saying....

While Iowa may match up the best against UW (and maybe PSU), Iowa players *should* want revenge against Indiana, especially after the last two years. I hope the coaches are using video of Lewis cart-wheeling into the endzone or whatever he did (I don't know gymnastics) as a motivational tool.

Iowa players *should* have beat Northwestern at home for homecoming too. I really haven't seen a whole lot of motivation out on the field for Iowa this year, regardless of the opponent - save for the ISU game.

I really don't subscribe to the whole "superbowl" thing, but it's clear that the ISU game this year was make-or-break for Iowa. Can you imagine how far off the bus the wheels would be right now if Iowa was 2-3 with their only wins home beatdowns of a 1AA team and Florida International, staring down this stretch of games before getting to the "soft underbelly" of the schedule at Minnesota and with Purdue at home (neither of which should be remotely considered Ws for Iowa right now). Not to mention the loss to the in-state rival. Iowa COULD be looking at 2-7 before those two games were it not for a W over ISU....And even if they were to split those 4 games, without the W over ISU, they would likely HAVE to beat Purdue and Minnesota to be assured a bowl berth, and at least split the two to have a shot.

That is certainly not the sort of performance you'd expect from a veteran head coach with one of the highest salaries in the nation regardless of the talent he's got out there on the field.

A W over an improving ISU team is pretty much the only feather Iowa has in their cap at the moment.

All that to basically say that Iowa just MIGHT have done a bit too much focusing on taking back the Cy-Hawk trophy thinking that the rest of the Big 10 schedule wouldn't be so bad without Ohio State and Michigan lurking...

Or it could be that they just aren't very good this year which is equally damning of the state of the program, IMO.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Iowa isn't a very good football team. I don't think ISU is either. Both show flashes, neither are consistent on offense. I called it before the season I thought Iowa was in for a bad year. I still do. I think at most Iowa wins two more games. Any team that can pass the ball at all should beat them. They can play the run, but that is about it. Iowa is not going to win shootout games.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Iowa could win the rest of their Big 10 games. Then again.... its only the Big 10.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I know this is off topic, but as a meteorologist this one always bugs me. Toilet flushing does NOT flow counter-clockwise just because you are in the southern hemisphere. The direction of the toilet flow has to do with how the toilet is designed. If you don't believe, look up the 'coriolis effect'. Toilet flushing just isn't affected by the coriolis force. Rant off. I apologize.

I thought they actually use the Argentinian Ratmo Counter Current toilets in Rio de Janeiro so that they really do go the opposite way. :cute:

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
It looks to me ...just an uninterested observer...that Gary Barta works for Kirk Ferentz....

Barta still works for Ferentz...quoting Kenny Miller KxNO

Last edited: