Adding a Subpanel for Electrical Service

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I have a house with 200 Amp service and I'm finishing the basement now. When I'm done running my basement circuits, my box will be full.

In the near future, I would like to set a hot tub outside. I'm going to pull the wire for the 50 Amp, 240Volt service required for the tub, however, with my box full, eventually I'll need a subpanel for that circuit.

So, some questions:

If my house is already 200 Amp, how many more amps can I put on the main service feed and be OK? Will 50 more Amps be an issue? It was built in 2007.

To add a subpanel, I'll need at least two spaces free for a bi-pole sub-breaker that feeds the subpanel main breaker, correct? If so, that means I'm also moving two circuits from the existing main panel to the sub-panel in order to free up those two spaces. That means that I can't simply add a 50 Amp sub, I'll need something larger. Should I do a 100 Amp sub?

I WILL hire this done by an electrician. I just want to understand what I'm getting into here.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
When we looked into doing geothermal last spring, they said that you need 400A service for the pumps. I thought I recalled the electrician saying that you needed some special stuff from the pole outside your house to get more than 200A inside the house. I don't remember what all he said, but you're probably looking at upgrading everything between the your breaker box and the grid... Good luck