SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Repeat post from our season thread but Audi Crooks made the list of players for people to watch in March, not just a rookie list.

With the departure of Big 12 top stars, Rori Harmon and Madison Booker, I believe our own Crooks will be the Big 12's media star. How much that transcends into national hype will depend on how far the team can go. The departure of Texas and Oklahoma and the weakening of Baylor leave the door wide open as there are no marquee "name" teams. Okay, Baylor is still a "name" but they are no longer annual title champs and Final Four bound.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Repeat post from our season thread but Audi Crooks made the list of players for people to watch in March, not just a rookie list.

With the departure of Big 12 top stars, Rori Harmon and Madison Booker, I believe our own Crooks will be the Big 12's media star. How much that transcends into national hype will depend on how far the team can go. The departure of Texas and Oklahoma and the weakening of Baylor leave the door wide open as there are no marquee "name" teams. Okay, Baylor is still a "name" but they are no longer annual title champs and Final Four bound.
Overall I think we are adding more positive depth next year with teams like Arizona, Colorado and Utah coming in. The Big 12 may actually be better across the board…except TTech ( tongue in cheek sarcasm on that last bit)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Overall I think we are adding more positive depth next year with teams like Arizona, Colorado and Utah coming in. The Big 12 may actually be better across the board…except TTech ( tongue in cheek sarcasm on that last bit)

I am talking media, marketing and potential for some hype for Crooks. Colorado and Utah aren't going to move the needle on that at all. Alissa Pili graduates and she's the only reason people even know Utah plays WBB. Even as last years Pac-12 POY a lot of fans had no idea who she was.

Marketing beyond the Big 12 fan base will be a challenge versus some of the other leagues established TV connections and no Top Ten teams. Marketing within the Big 12 base will be comparatively easy (IMHO) given Crooks game and personality.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I am talking media, marketing and potential for some hype for Crooks. Colorado and Utah aren't going to move the needle on that at all. Alissa Pili graduates and she's the only reason people even know Utah plays WBB. Even as last years Pac-12 POY a lot of fans had no idea who she was.

Marketing beyond the Big 12 fan base will be a challenge versus some of the other leagues established TV connections and no Top Ten teams. Marketing within the Big 12 base will be comparatively easy (IMHO) given Crooks game and personality.
Who? :p

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

The inherent lower population of the vast swath of BIG 12 land (relative to the East for instance) is the first hurdle in creating buzz for any of our WBB conference superstars. Then there is the likely attendant lower national media interest on which to build buzz from that population. Colorado and Utah will not help in that regard (though that is not to say they are not great programs).

And even with the population, it may not turn up interest. (I have yet to see Juju be blown up by media nationwide, though it may be premature on the West Coast. But, maybe I missed it.) In the BIG TEN, there are a lot of northern schools that are in states that pride themselves in catching BIG TEN games, rooting for, and having better media exposure and income for their teams. Iowa is an example. Just being not that many miles from Iowa State it is given a bigger exposure than our school. An argument could be made as to that being a contributor to some of their success.

WBB lovers will know and hope Audi at Iowa State (and Juju) will get a national interest rolling after registering for their superior play.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I'll be interested to see if she winds up like Edey has in the men's game. There's been a growing disdain among the general NCAA fanbase against Edey for how he's officiated and his lack of "game" beyond just being big. I'm not saying Audi is the same, but I can totally see where non-Iowa State fans will knock her just for being bigger than everyone. And I imagine the way she's officiated will become an issue as she goes forward.

She's definitely got way more personality than Edey, but I hope the basketball public doesn't turn on her the same way they have on him.

Reactions: acoustimac

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I'll be interested to see if she winds up like Edey has in the men's game. There's been a growing disdain among the general NCAA fanbase against Edey for how he's officiated and his lack of "game" beyond just being big. I'm not saying Audi is the same, but I can totally see where non-Iowa State fans will knock her just for being bigger than everyone. And I imagine the way she's officiated will become an issue as she goes forward.

She's definitely got way more personality than Edey, but I hope the basketball public doesn't turn on her the same way they have on him.
My dad always said you can’t teach "big," but big people can be taught and learn.

Reactions: riceville98