Advice for quitting drinking for a month

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Hello all!
So a little backstory, I drank really heavily when I was in college like 5 days a week and since then I really haven't binge drank except maybe 9 times in over 8 years.

Since my crazy undergrad days, I've had about 2 standard drinks per day, averaging for a total of 14 per week, trying to keep in line with what the previous health studies said about drinking in moderation. Mostly because I was using those 2 drinks as a night cap to fall asleep quicker.
I never had a reason to quit because it wasn't hurting my relationships, my job, and my health. (usually the signs that you need to quit drinking)

Well I'm having a lot of digestive problems and decided I would take a month off booze to see if I could reset everything. (since I haven't really given my body a true break since graduating college.)

Anything to look out for or helpful recommendations for anyone else who has done this? 31 years old btw

Thank you

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
While I don't have direct experience with this, I know a few people who have kicked a habit by replacing sunflower seeds with whatever it is you are eliminating. If you have the urge for a drink, you throw in some sunflower seeds.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Not an expert on quitting, but a pretty heavy drinker at one time

For me is was about changing my rituals and habits. Sometimes reaching for a beer or the bottle is just part of a routine. I substituted something else to change things up.

I will say your sleep and digestive issues will greatly improve. Booze gives a false sense of quality sleep, but it's really ****** sleep.

Maybe a little too simplistic

JohnPrineforCy

Feb 1, 2019
You will start to experince better sleep and less anxiety. I have on and off again quit a few times, and every time I always regret starting to have a few drinks again. I also recomend keeping a journal and just tracking how your body and mind reacts to less alcohol. It is a good tool to help with the discipline aspect. You will also want candy more

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Hello all!
So a little backstory, I drank really heavily when I was in college like 5 days a week and since then I really haven't binge drank except maybe 9 times in over 8 years.

Since my crazy undergrad days, I've had about 2 standard drinks per day, averaging for a total of 14 per week, trying to keep in line with what the previous health studies said about drinking in moderation. Mostly because I was using those 2 drinks as a night cap to fall asleep quicker.
I never had a reason to quit because it wasn't hurting my relationships, my job, and my health. (usually the signs that you need to quit drinking)

Well I'm having a lot of digestive problems and decided I would take a month off booze to see if I could reset everything. (since I haven't really given my body a true break since graduating college.)

Anything to look out for or helpful recommendations for anyone else who has done this? 31 years old btw

Thank you
Had a lot of reflux from my younger drinking days, so I went through the same process. Working out will help you with the sleeping part, as well as melatonin. Beyond that, change up your habits that surrounded drinking (whatever you were doing while having your night cap, change it up to do something else).

I also found (through much trial and error) that digestive problems can have a strong connection to vitamin deficiencies. I added magnesium and potassium to my diet, and most of them went away.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Kind of did the same thing a few months ago and it's stuck. I just don't have any in the house, no liquor cabinet, beers in the fridge, etc.

If it was helping you go to sleep that will take awhile to adjust to but eventually I had an easier time going to sleep and slept much better without the nightcap. Also got rid of some late night acid reflux I was having.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Hello all!

Thank you
One thing that can happen overtime, is that your body has gotten conditioned that those nightcaps (combined with the alcohol they contain) are signals that it’s time to prepare the body to go to sleep. If you find that you’re not able to fall asleep as quickly try doing mocktails instead to keep the ritual and nighttime routine the same. Won’t replace the alcohol effect but the same routine will help your body understand it’s on the same sleep schedule.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
A Cyclone fan starting a break from drinking at the beginning of a football season. Talk about a test of willpower.

FWIW, all the studies that pointed to a drink a day being good for you have been debunked. (At least for now, who knows what future research will unearth.) There was a bunch of news coverage a few months ago about how any amount of alcohol is bad for you. That said, even most of the health experts I read said a few drinks a week is probably no big deal and there probably are some health benefits from the socializing that often comes with drinking.

I'm no addition expert, but assuming you aren't chemically addicted and need professional help, I would agree with others who point out that habit formation is really important. You need to swap out habits you associate with drinking with new habits. There are a few good books on habits, which you could read or find summaries of that might give you some good ideas.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I've replaced my week night beer with a glass of kombucha. I drink a lot of water throughout the day so sometimes at night I would just want something different and grab a beer. Now I just pour a glass of kombucha.

There are tons of NA beers now so find one you like and replace with that.

If your open to a different substance try CBD seltzers. Just CBD. It makes me feel relaxed and I sleep great. Ive cut back on my weekend alcohol consumption by consuming these instead.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Try sleeping on your left side it helps your body with digestion. I was having a lot of indigestion issues but started drinking a ton of water every day and being conscious of when I eat too late at night. Also sugar will destroy your gut, so cut back on that and greasy food.

As far as the addiction part, replace it with something healthy like exercise. Don't just find a new vice that you likely will continue when you start drinking again.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I've replaced my week night beer with a glass of kombucha. I drink a lot of water throughout the day so sometimes at night I would just want something different and grab a beer. Now I just pour a glass of kombucha.

There are tons of NA beers now so find one you like and replace with that.

If your open to a different substance try CBD seltzers. Just CBD. It makes me feel relaxed and I sleep great. Ive cut back on my weekend alcohol consumption by consuming these instead.
I’m a big kombucha fan, but as a heads up to the OP most kombucha has some caffeine in it so depending on your personal sensitivity you might not want to switch to that right before bed. The CBD seltzers are perfect mock tails for many

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Nowadays I really only drink socially with the occasional weekend night tie off (rarely drink on a work night unless it’s a special occasion).

Are you a coffee drinker? If I was forced to choose I’d give up alcohol before giving up coffee, and it wouldn’t be a particularly difficult decision. Could be an option that’s far better for you than booze.

• Friendly

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I've historically drank 2-3 fingers of bourbon before bed nightly but once every couple of months I try to kick that habit for 5-7 nights in a row.
What's worked for me is a combination of limiting caffeine, over the counter sleep aids (if I'm really stressed, and/or some CBD/CBN/THC products. I've had some combo CBN/low THC products that work very well and I actually get a better nights sleep than I do with alcohol. Good luck.

• Friendly