Advice Needed!

EZpickins

Aug 7, 2008
Ames, Iowa
So a couple friends and I thought it would be fun to start an annual football trip where we travel to a big time college football program or stadium and catch a game. This year we are making a road trip over to Neyland Stadium for the weekend to catch the Tennessee/Florida game. Are there any fellow Fanatics out there that have been to Knoxville for game day? If so, what are the places to hit up and the tailgating hot spots? Any idea or advice would be great!

Reactions: ImperialCyclone

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I put a feeler out to one of my HS buddies that went to grad school there.

In the meantime:

[video=youtube;EKbOtWeAEnY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKbOtWeAEnY[/video]

Last edited:

ImperialCyclone

Sep 11, 2012
This is a great idea! I've never been to Knoxville, but I think you and your friends will have an absolute blast! There are so many good venues/environments. My favorite game college game (outside of anything ISU) I've ever seen in person was Florida vs Georgia last year in Jacksonville. The Iowa vs. Iowa State rivarly is child's play compared to that. Have fun!!!!

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
No advice, but we have a college friend who is doing a football tour for three months this fall and will hit at least a dozen different games. Tennessee isn't one of their stops, though. Their first stop was the Notre Dame vs. Navy in Ireland--now that is a trip!! Last weekend they were at Oregon. Good luck!

tplumm

Mar 3, 2010
Ankeny
This is what I plan to do for fun when I retire. I first plan to hit all the Big 12 venues. Once I cross those off my list it's on to places like Michigan, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Clemson, Florida etc...whenever ISU is off, or has an away game.

southsideclone

Aug 20, 2012
des moines
Went to a Notre Dame game a few years ago. Its a great experience starting Friday night at the pep rally where former players come back to address the fans and team. Game day in South Bend is a special experience.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Greatest game day experience I had was the Rose Bowl. It was an amazing scene.

volfaniniowa

Jan 21, 2010
You are in for a good time! I would recommend going to the strip for tailgating because unlike ISU, there is absolutely zero greenspace except for World's Fair Park and they don't allow parking there. Most of the tailgating consists of popup tents around the stadium and in parking ramps/pay lots within a 2 mile radius. If you are students, the Strip is about double or three times the size of Welch. If I have my directions right, its about a 1/2 mile northwest of the stadium (just follow the students and wear Tennessee colors). Catch the Vol Walk on the west side of the stadium 2 or 3 hours before kickoff, its really cool and will be especially electric for this weekends' game (first sellout in years). If you get there Friday afternoon, go around the south end of the stadium and where the visitors tunnel leads on to the field, there might still be an old guy who works the tunnel who is from Iowa. We told him we were from Iowa and he took us through the tunnel right to the edge of the south end zone (even if he's not there, sometimes if you chat them up and tell them how far you've traveled, they will take you through the tunnel anyways) Seeing the stadium from on the field is incredible. On gameday, check out the Vol Navy on the Tennessee River. There is no other college stadium in America where people tailgate on a river a stones' throw from the stadium. Use a koozie or keep your mixed drinks in a cup and you shouldn't have a problem walking around the area. Cab it from your hotel if possible. Knoxville is an old city and can be kind of rough at night. I wouldn't recommend walking too far north if you guys hit up the Old City nightlife. The Old City bars are actually a pretty decent time (just east of the Tennessee Valley Authority building and the Crowne Plaza where the Vols stay the night before the game). For food, the Copper Cellar on the Strip and Downtown Brewery seem to be popular. Also Gus' Goodtime Deli is good food. No matter who tells you, don't eat at a Krystal's burger. There are some nice little cafes in downtown and a Big Tomato Pizza thats open late night. While tailgating or at the game, remember that football in the south is most importantly a social engagement and a chance to be seen. The culture is different but the people have been great every time I've been down there. Wear Big Orange, sing Rocky Top, and try to avoid any Gator fans wearing jorts or sporting mullets.

EZpickins

Aug 7, 2008
Ames, Iowa
Awesome advice! It sounds like it should be a great time. We plan to get there early Saturday morning and check out College GameDay and I'm sure we'll hit up the Strip!

Help Support Us

Become a patron