Al Davis vs. The NFL

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Did anyone else watch this on Thursday night? The newest offering from 30 for 30 from ESPN?

I thought it was a really good and interesting story, and brought back some memories from my early childhood of the NFL in the late '70's and early '80s, and they did a good job of explaining the rivalry between Davis and Pete Rozelle, but they also used "deep fake" imaging to superimpose Davis and Rozelle on the bodies of modern day actors/stand-ins at certain moments, and I felt that was really just weird and even a bit unsettling to watch. I thought it was completely unnecessary and took away from the story.

Any other thoughts?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Did anyone else watch this on Thursday night? The newest offering from 30 for 30 from ESPN?

I thought it was a really good and interesting story, and brought back some memories from my early childhood of the NFL in the late '70's and early '80s, and they did a good job of explaining the rivalry between Davis and Pete Rozelle, but they also used "deep fake" imaging to superimpose Davis and Rozelle on the bodies of modern day actors/stand-ins at certain moments, and I felt that was really just weird and even a bit unsettling to watch. I thought it was completely unnecessary and took away from the story.

Any other thoughts?

I have always loved the old NFL films stuff, this had that kind of feel to it but I didn't really get the weird cgi stuff. It's an interesting story all on its own, it seemed unnecessary. That said, I loved the show. These two played as big a role as any in making the NFL what it is today. I grew up in the 80's so this wasn't all new to me but I was young so I didn't really know the details. My dad was a diehard Steelers fan, so Al Davis/Raiders were basically a swear word in our house. As I've learned more about him, what Al Davis did was incredible and I'm kind of a fan.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I have always loved the old NFL films stuff, this had that kind of feel to it but I didn't really get the weird cgi stuff. It's an interesting story all on its own, it seemed unnecessary. That said, I loved the show. These two played as big a role as any in making the NFL what it is today. I grew up in the 80's so this wasn't all new to me but I was young so I didn't really know the details. My dad was a diehard Steelers fan, so Al Davis/Raiders were basically a swear word in our house. As I've learned more about him, what Al Davis did was incredible and I'm kind of a fan.

I get the feeling that back then that NFL fans probably hated him unless they were a Raiders fan, but I thought he was very classy towards the end with Rozelle, especially upon Rozell's death, and it seemed like they buried the hatchet, more or less.

Reactions: heitclone

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I have always been a big Raiders and Al Davis fan. Cheering for the maverick was always fun. I was pretty young when a lot of the moving cities stuff happened so I was really excited about this one. In the end the cgi stuff just made it or weird for me. Also I get they had to include Mark Davis but that dude is cringe worthy anyway and it felt like he was an actual robot during his parts.

Reactions: heitclone

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
They sort of ruined a really good biopic with the facial imaging. It was weird in that it was totally unnecessary and added nothing to the piece.

Maybe this is how you generate enough media buzz on subjects these days to overcome viewer distraction with limitless options..