Alaska Cruise

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
I’m hoping to not spawn a lot of parody threads with yet another travel-related thread, but I do find you all have a lot of good information on a lot of subjects, so…

Any advice for a Holland America Alaska Cruise (heading south). We have shore facing rooms. What, if any, excursions should we look into. I haven’t been on a cruise in more than a decade. Does one still have to dress for dinner? Is Wi-Fi on the boats useful or useless? Drink packages, yea or nay?

Basically, other than being on the water, I have little idea of what we are rolling into, so any advice, guidance, or tips would be useful.

Reactions: Angie

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
We did zip lining in Juneau years ago. It was very good. A lot of forest surrounds Juneau. We also did a plane ride, took off and landed on water. Flew over the glaciers and in between mountain peaks. Once in a lifetime experience.

Reactions: Lexclone

Lexclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
We did zip lining in Juneau years ago. It was very good. A lot of forest surrounds Juneau. We also did a plane ride, took off and landed on water. Flew over the glaciers and in between mountain peaks. Once in a lifetime experience.
Thanks, some of our travel companions wanted to zip line, but I was ambivalent.

Did you book through the cruise line or once in port or ahead in some other way?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We are cruising Alaska in July 10 days out of SF, we are doing basically the same spots you are on Carnival. We have signed up for whale watching at Ketchikan and the White Pass RR tour out of Juneau. those might be switched around, but those are two we are doing.

As to the drink package, it's totally up to what types of drinks and how much you consume to see if it is worth it or not. I only drink beer, my wife one or two of the fruity drinks, since both have to purchase the package on Carnival it runs to around $110 a day. Most we have ever spent on booze on a cruise was $300 less than what the drink package would have cost us, and I drink a lot of beer. Now if you drink spirits, do doubles and both of you can drink 5 or 6 a day, plus special coffees and malts, you can make out for the good. But remember on shore days, you will not be on the boat to drink all day, and on ship days, you have to be able to get up the next morning. Some people swear by the drink package, but for us on 5 cruises have always been cheaper to purchase by the drink.

• Informative

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Thanks, some of our travel companions wanted to zip line, but I was ambivalent.

Did you book through the cruise line or once in port or ahead in some other way?
Can't recall for sure but I think we booked with the cruise line. If you can find them online, you could book separately. But the zipline we did was on Douglas Island and so you need a ferry to get you there. We book a lot of our excursions on our own, but the zipline in Juneau may be one to do through the ship.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
I’m jealous. This has been on my bucket lists for a while now. The two main things I’d want to do are go on a fishing excursion and see the northern lights.

Congratulations and please share your experiences and feedback.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Best thing I ever did. As a dad and husband off duty for a week. We went on the Norwegian Bliss out of Seattle. Do the train trip excursion.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I have never done a full cruise, but when I went to Anchorage for work, I did a day wildlife cruise through the Kenai Fjords in Seward. Not sure if that is an option, but it was amazing.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
We're doing a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Seattle in late July. I'm really excited about going up there. We're stopping in Sitka, Icy Strait Point, Juneau and Victoria B.C. I'm going to eat a shitload of crab legs.

Lexclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
I’m jealous. This has been on my bucket lists for a while now. The two main things I’d want to do are go on a fishing excursion and see the northern lights.

Congratulations and please share your experiences and feedback.
Will do! Also, thanks for mentioning a fishing excursion. That would be amazing and totally was off my radar.

I think I will miss the northern lights due to the “midnight sun” that time of year, but honestly, I have no idea.

Reactions: cyfan21