Alison Lacey

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
Australians Abby Bishop and Alison Lacey have decided to forego the 2011 WNBA season in favor of training with the Australian National Team. Bishop, who averaged 2.8 points and 1.3 rebounds in 16 games during her rookie year, signed with the Storm as a free agent on April 4, 2010. Lacey, the Storm's first- round draft pick (10th overall selection) in the 2010 WNBA Draft, averaged 6.9 minutes in 21 games.

Good news and bad news.

Good news is that she has a chance to try to make it on the Opals.
Bad news is we won't be able to watch her for another year.

Hope we'll see her in a few summers.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Australians Abby Bishop and Alison Lacey have decided

Good news is that she has a chance to try to make it on the Opals.
Bad news is we won't be able to watch her for another year.

Hope we'll see her in a few summers.

The Opals are the National team whose members may go on to the Olympic team. Lacey in the Olympics? Wouldn't that be a nice! I think Lauren has it in her to carry the AU team but the competition to medal will be as fierce as ever.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
It's not like sitting on Seattle's bench is doing her any good. This is a good move. There is no room for her in Seattle for the next few years at least.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Bad news for us who want to watch her but it's a reasonable move from her side. She got a lot of minutes (25-30is) in every game with the Capitals and that put her on the radar for the Opals. Plus I believe the Capitals will try to sign Lauren Jackson for next season.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Bad news for us who want to watch her but it's a reasonable move from her side. She got a lot of minutes (25-30is) in every game with the Capitals and that put her on the radar for the Opals. Plus I believe the Capitals will try to sign Lauren Jackson for next season.

Just saw she wasn't on on the 2011 Storm roster yesterday and started digging through CF for details. My 10 year old daughter is crushed. A huge fan. We were planning on going up to Minnesota to watch one of her games. Being home with more playing time is great for her however.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I've always wondered how much money thw WNBA players make. I'm assuming there are an elite few who make a decent amount but for the rest it's not that great.

clone319

Nov 27, 2010
I've always wondered how much money thw WNBA players make. I'm assuming there are an elite few who make a decent amount but for the rest it's not that great.

Max salary for wnba is 100,000

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Max salary for wnba is 100,000

Additionally, the minimum for 0-2 years of service is around $37,000 and the veteran minimum is around $53,000. There's also a team salary cap around $850,000 per team (11 roster spots).

There are individual and team bonuses for awards and playoffs. Lacey probably made near the minimum salary, but as a member of the championship team she received a $10,500 bonus.

WomensBasketballOnline.Com: WNBA Salary Scale

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
Hey,
I finally figured out what Alison is doing this summer in Australia.
She is playing some netball, and doing quite well.

The Tuggeranong side featured Canberra Capitals basketballer Alison Lacey who was making her debut for the club having just returned from the United States.

“Alison was outstanding considering it was her first game of the season,â€￾ Tuggeranong co-coach Kate Durham said.

“Our shooting percentages were in the eighties and Alison led the way with her accuracy.â€￾

"The addition of Alison Lacey from the Canberra Capitals has been a huge boost for us."

"She's added a new dimension to our attack with her presence freeing up goal shooter Jo Pivac."

Tuggeranong's attack led by Jo Pivac and Alison Lacey has scored more goals (439) than any other team i the competition, while defensively Australian U17 representative Keely Rodrigo has been solid.

A lot of the articles of jibberish to me because I don't understand netball, but I thought it was cool.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
netball is big down under. I think it is going to be in the next Olympics. New Zealand and Australia have won all but one of the World Championships. It's like basketball with a volleyball and some funky rules.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I think it is going to be in the next Olympics.

Doesn't appear to be the case. It is olypmic-recognized as a sport, which means it could be recognized at some point in the future.

Here's some netball video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4gPi3Pv2OE&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪ANZ Netball Mystics vs Thunderbirds Qtr 2 Part 2‬‏[/ame]

I don't really care for it that much. No dribbling, no shots outside the arc (and only two designated offensive players can shoot or even be in the arc), and defenders have to be about a yard away when defending passes and shots.

Last edited: