Allen Lazard- NFL Draft

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I know the old Three Amigos in Denver used to talk in interviews about the broken fingers they got from trying to catch John Elway passes. That sounded pleasant.
How about the Elway Cross? That's the cross-shaped indent they'd get in their skin from the end of the football if they caught it with their body instead of their hands.

Reactions: CycloneErik

SiouxCityCyclone

Nov 10, 2016
Man, even in that video I don't think Lazard looks that fast, but it could be his stride frequency is less than most other receivers/athletes (covers more ground with less strides). That corner looks like he's working hard to keep up with Lazard.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Man, even in that video I don't think Lazard looks that fast, but it could be his stride frequency is less than most other receivers/athletes (covers more ground with less strides). That corner looks like he's working hard to keep up with Lazard.

Agreed. It's not as if he threw a good move and the corner bit on it. He just flat ran right by him. I don't think he expected to get outrun like that but Lazard just covers so much ground with each stride.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Whenever Lazard's pro potential is brought up, many on this forum show that they're more Al Davis than Bill Belichek. As long as he's not above 4.8, he's fast enough to do what he'll be asked to do. If you want to compare his forty time to a tight end, you can, but fast tight ends aren't asked to change directions. One's speed as a WR is only as good as your ability to get out out breaks and win the ball, which Lazard is excellent at.

For a simple comparison, I guarantee Matt Eaton runs a pretty good forty for a big receiver. I think he's faster than Hakeem. With his size and length he'll get a cup of tea in the NFL. But Lazard's still a better player right now because of his nous in route running, his strength and size, and his ability get out of his breaks. (Really excited to see more of Matt Eaton next year though.)

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Whenever Lazard's pro potential is brought up, many on this forum show that they're more Al Davis than Bill Belichek. As long as he's not above 4.8, he's fast enough to do what he'll be asked to do. If you want to compare his forty time to a tight end, you can, but fast tight ends aren't asked to change directions. One's speed as a WR is only as good as your ability to get out out breaks and win the ball, which Lazard is excellent at.

For a simple comparison, I guarantee Matt Eaton runs a pretty good forty for a big receiver. I think he's faster than Hakeem. With his size and length he'll get a cup of tea in the NFL. But Lazard's still a better player right now because of his nous in route running, his strength and size, and his ability get out of his breaks. (Really excited to see more of Matt Eaton next year though.)
I could agree with your point if you said 4.7, but I think 4.8 would hurt his draft position significantly.
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/9...rs-who-posted-slow-times-while-running-the-40
I think he'll run 4.7 or better, though.

CySmitty

Jan 3, 2008
Longmont, CO
He smoked that DB and it looks like he at 6in on him. Even if that DB stays with Lazard he makes that catch 9 out of 10 times.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Please don't send Lazard to purgatory(Cleveland)
I could agree with your point if you said 4.7, but I think 4.8 would hurt his draft position significantly.
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/9...rs-who-posted-slow-times-while-running-the-40
I think he'll run 4.7 or better, though.
I do too. While a 4.75 kills a lot of draft stock, I don't think it really kills a career. He's so much better at everything else than most receivers that fit that profile. A Todd Blythe, for instance.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
In the right system it wouldn't matter if he had WR or TE next to his name. He is a couple inches shorter than Gronk, lighter for now, and an inch smaller hands with about the same 40 time.

They will draft Allen as a WR, but he has everything else you want from a pass catcher. And he will interview very well.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
In those one on one drills, Lazard looks huge. The DBs have to be scared shitless.

Lazard's size makes him a matchup nightmare at WR. If you try to make him a TE, he loses some of that advantage.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Tall guys are deceptively fast in a straight line so I think he'll run sub 4.6 if he's healthy. If he's been working with our S&C staff they'll squeeze every last hundredth out of him.