Alright bacon lovers...I need your tips

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I’m an over person as well. Can cook more at the same time.

@ISUCyclones2015 makes a good point to boil it. I’ve heard restaurants will do this and creates good results. Basically you boil it to render the fat out, then you fry it in a pan to get it crispy. I’ve wanted to try this method, but haven’t.

Reactions: cyclones500

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Explain more please. I trust your cooking tips.
Multiple ways but I put about a half Fingernail deep worth of water in the pan then lay my strips down. Then cook until the water boils off and it gets crispy. You can also boil in a big pot for 10min then transfer to a pan or oven.

I was a big oven guy until I did the boil method. If you want truly crispy for like BLTs and ****. Look into boiling.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Another thing I forgot above is you do it in a cold pan with cold ish to room temp water. Allows the fat to render more. I’ve found boiling in a big pot (again starting coldish water) and transferring gets rid of a lot of saltiness which is a good or bad thing depending on your diet or taste or what you’re going for

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I liked the oven method but the best I've had had when I've done sous vide. Gets rid of the fat and is wonderful. Not sure how it would work with store bought bacon though.

Cyride1

Aug 18, 2012
What is your tried and true way to making truly CRISPY bacon that doesn't burn? And I know there are different definitions of 'crispy'...so to clarify. I mean literally BREAKS/SNAPS and there is a true crunch to it. Basically cooking it until it's bacos. There should be no tearing of it in terms of what I'm talking about crispiness.

Knowing that...does oven cooking do it? I have never tried but I doubt it gets as crispy as we're looking for. Cast iron is what we use but seems to burn pretty easily but maybe the heat is just too much (even though we only cook on medium).

Let me know your thoughts
I used to use oven method, but I have a Blackstone grill, I will never go back to the oven method. I can cook up 2 lbs at once on medium high heat and I have crisp control on the bacon without any trouble whatsoever.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I’ve made buck board bacon (cured pork shoulder) and cure my own pork belly. My fave is curing them in maple syrup. The taste is way different than store bought and incredible according to people that have had it. My goal when curing is about 1/4 teaspoon of pink salt per pound of meat. Takes about two weeks to cure but well worth it. B0D2FEED-B978-49B5-9BD0-5BBD4E7CC7D2.jpeg

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
We’ve got this air fryer and it’s the best kitchen appliance of all time. It’s used on a daily basis. We tried one of the standard air fryers before this and absolutely hated it. It cooks great bacon in about 10 minutes.

• Agree
Reactions: frackincygy

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I just grill it. I love bacon, but not enough that I want the house to smell like it for days afterwards.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I usually do cookie sheet with Reynolds ND foil, then wire rack on top, then bacon on wire rack.

But, bacon off a pellet smoker is the best. It's basically a convection oven, and there's zero cleanup other than the foil grease cup.

Reactions: dahliaclone

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Electric skillet. Lay the first batch in a cold skillet, then turn it on to 350°. The first batch is "dry" so it needs more care and flipping, but after that you have a nice coat of bacon grease that fries the rest of it. Ours is about the same size as a baking sheet so I can cook a lot at once. I don't make bacon often, but when I do it's usually 2-3lbs at a time.

I personally prefer chewy bacon but my wife likes crispy. This way we both get what we want.

When done I drain the grease, but enough stays in the bottom to fry 4 - 6 eggs at once. The eggs cook quickly enough that the bacon is still warm when it's time to eat.