Alternate Reality: What if Hinrich and Collison Stayed?

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Just wanted to share a podcast started by fellow Cyclone fans and sons/nephews of great Iowa State Baseball pitcher/catcher combo Dave and Dan Flattery.

It's called The Moonlight Graham Show and in Episode 5: "Playing Basketball is Different with Your Best Friends" features some interesting insights into what could have been during that storied time in Iowa State Basketball History.

The part I found most interesting was the story of the day Floyd announced he was leaving and Hinrich's reactions during the conference call he was on.

I know others would be intrigued as much as I am at the thought of what could have been.

The podcast is largely a sports one with a focus on Iowa athletes and teams. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lamoni

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Hinrich flipped because Floyd left this is true. However, Tinsley comes to Ames w/ Larry regardless.
JT for two years at Iowa State was as good as any PG in the country. My guess, Nurse would of become the best 6th man in the country.

Collison would most likely went to Iowa if not KU.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Just wanted to share a podcast started by fellow Cyclone fans and sons/nephews of great Iowa State Baseball pitcher/catcher combo Dave and Dan Flattery.

It's called The Moonlight Graham Show and in Episode 5: "Playing Basketball is Different with Your Best Friends" features some interesting insights into what could have been during that storied time in Iowa State Basketball History.

The part I found most interesting was the story of the day Floyd announced he was leaving and Hinrich's reactions during the conference call he was on.

I know others would be intrigued as much as I am at the thought of what could have been.

The podcast is largely a sports one with a focus on Iowa athletes and teams. Enjoy.

Thanks for sharing! Dave Flattery is my banker, and Dan used to be my insurance agent (he's a State Farm rep). I played against those two in softball years ago.....I never saw a more natural player than David Flattery. I swear he could show up for a game 10 minutes before start, while rubbing sleep from his eyes, and line rockets all over the yard. Plus his arm from the outfield was a thing to behold.....they are both great guys, and great players.

• Winner
Reactions: Lamoni and JSmoove

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Hinrich flipped because Floyd left this is true. However, Tinsley comes to Ames w/ Larry regardless.
JT for two years at Iowa State was as good as any PG in the country. My guess, Nurse would of become the best 6th man in the country.

Collison would most likely went to Iowa if not KU.

If Tom Davis stays I believe this would have been true. Iowa State actually made Collison's final 6 I think.

I am fairly certain he was down to Duke and Kansas when it came time to decide.

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
I'm sure the whole thing is good but it's over an hour long, at what part is the Iowa State conversation?

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
If Tom Davis stays I believe this would have been true. Iowa State actually made Collison's final 6 I think.

I am fairly certain he was down to Duke and Kansas when it came time to decide.
I thought the same thing. But the podcast made me do a "double-take" because Brownlee was good friends with both Nick and Kirk. When he stated that both of those players would have ended up at ISU, I wondered if Kirk had possibly convinced Nick to play with him.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Right around 3:30 mark is where the interview with Jack Brownlee starts and he discuss's being on an AAU team with Hinrich and essentially being his "secretary" during his recruitment.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Hinrich would have been a Cyclone but for the life of me I'll never understand the revisionist history on Collison. He was never coming to ISU. This is hardly the first time this has floated around either.

Edit: I have not listened to the podcast but if Brownlee said the though Nick would go to ISU that is worth noting.

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
Just listened through and good interview. It sounds like Brownlee thinks both of them would have went to ISU if Floyd would have stayed. Interesting stuff. It is hard to stomach the thought of Hinrich in a Cyclone uniform in hindsight.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I've always heard it would've been tricky getting Heinrich qualified.

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
I had always heard Collison would have gone to Iowa if not for KU as well. I guess that is why I felt it was worth the listen from a guy who seems to know those guys really well and was on the conference call with Floyd when he made the decision. It was a piece of the story I had not heard before.

Reactions: JSmoove

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

We wouldn't have had Tinsley if Heinrich stays. Iowa would've been pretty good because Collison probably would've went there.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Jamal Tinsley was next level in college. He is the only player I think comes close to the talent level Royce had. I really loved watching Royce play.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
We wouldn't have had Tinsley if Heinrich stays. Iowa would've been pretty good because Collison probably would've went there.

I'm friends with someone who was around both of them as an AAU coach, and he has always said that Collison was going to Iowa. He could be wrong though. I'll still take Tinsley.

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
even though this has been speculated before, this podcast brings some new information to light from someone who talked to nick collison on a daily basis, yet some on here somehow continue to feel the need to cluelessly voice their own speculation as reality. im also entertained by the implication that missing out on tinsley wouldnt have been worth it if meant the clones got hinrich and collison. in that alternate reality, we would have ended up with two guys that are still playing in the nba and would have missed out on losing to hampton?