AMERICAN GODS

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Sure looks interesting. Love Bryan Fuller shows, so visually stunning. I really like Pushing Daisies and thought it didnt get a fair shake. Hopefully he finds some success on Starz.

Trailer may not be SFW (language,violence)

Last edited:

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
The book it's based on was fantastic. Highly recommended.
The trailer looks good also.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
The book was great. May need to read it again before watching the show. Its also crazy how most of the characters looks how I thought they would look like.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
The book was great. May need to read it again before watching the show. Its also crazy how most of the characters looks how I thought they would look like.
There's been talk that it may incorporate elements from Anansi Boys as well, so you might want to give that a read, too. ;-)

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
There's been talk that it may incorporate elements from Anansi Boys as well, so you might want to give that a read, too. ;-)

Good to know, guess I didn't realize it was a "sequel"

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
Series premiere is tonight at 8pm on STARZ.

It's been getting fairly good early critic reviews from what I've seen. Currently 91% on Rotten Tomatoes.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
Any way to view if you don't have Starz? I assume Netflix or Amazon will pick up after season 1...
I think Starz is the only option at this point. Unless you want to go the pirate route.

You can get a free 7 day trial of Starz streaming, either through the Starz app or via Amazon. It's $9 a month after the trial.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
My wife didn't care for it at all. I was interested, but not so much so that I'd watch it on my own time. Seems like it went for the shock factor right off the bat, maybe a little too much.
To be fair to the show, it pretty much followed the formula/script set-out by the book. Almost exactly, really.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I really enjoyed the first episode. I didn't think they were going for shock value at all in the first few minutes, it felt more like they were setting the tone for what the series is going to be - which is not for the faint of heart. It's definitely set up to be rough and extremely adult oriented, which is right up my alley.

As someone who has never read the book and went in completely blind, I will say there was one scene in particular that had a bit of a shock effect to it. You have a good sense as the scene starts that it's not going to go well for one of the characters, but just not in the way it actually happens.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I personally didn't care for it and came away disappointed.

I thought it was very inventive and cool from a visual standpoint, but it didn't hold my attention story-wise the way a good pilot episode will do for the shows I come to enjoy. Just not my cup of tea, I suppose.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Watched on DVR last night. Undecided. Will probably give it one more episode. Maybe it was just following the book, but the Technology Boy God was extremely stupid.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
Solid second episode. Not quite as good as the premiere, but I still enjoyed it. Orlando Jones as Anansi was great, though. I was hoping for a little more out of the Czernobog character, but Stormare did a good enough job, I guess.