Ames BWW opening March 21st

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I LOVE BWW!!! I can't wait for them to open. I love going to the hometown places too but these places are great for a reason. Whenever family comes to Ames as I do now I don't suggest or take them to chain places I take them to Hickory Park,Great Plains, Black Market, The Cafe and stuff like that. I am just glad I have another option and don't have to drive to Ankeny or Des Moines for it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I've had both in the last 2 times I went. The boneless were horribly undersauced (hence the KFC with a little sauce drizzled on) and the traditional were just tiny wings w/very little meat, but plenty of sauce.

I'll go buy BWW sauces, and use it on stuff at home. They are really good sauces, and they know it so they skimp you on everything else and charge you through the nose. Just buy the sauces, and save a boat load of $ making that stuff at home.

Thats not a bad idea, i might have to pick up a bottle of the hot sauce and throw it on some chicken here at home.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Al, West Cyde sucks...trust me. Its just as expensive as BWW now, and the wings are absolutely atrocious.

and it's 6 free wings/week for a year.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Al, West Cyde sucks...trust me. Its just as expensive as BWW now, and the wings are absolutely atrocious.

and it's 6 free wings/week for a year.

Knowing BWW its probably 6 traditional wings too.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I thought that there was supposed to be a Smashburger coming to Duff too? Haven't heard too much about it lately.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Im surprised a steak n shake hasnt made it to des moines or ames.

CYandIareBFFs

Jan 24, 2011
Milwaukee
I work at west cyde, we just got new owners who actually care about the quality of food so hopefully **** will improve. Also they're building a full bar. Don't get me wrong I like bww, the only things in my opinion that make west cyde are: 1. cy is incorporated in the name 2. Not a chain 3. Delivery

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
OH VER RATED clap clap clapclap clap

I wish Ames and Ankeny had more entrepreneurs who would open locally owned restaurants. They seem to be going over well in Des Moines.

I do all I can to avoid chains, although it is next to impossible

You mean like Hickory Park, Great Plains, The Cafe, Battles, The Spice, Cafe Shi, Pazzesco's Chophouse, Aunt Maude's, Black Market, Wallaby's, West Towne Pub, Olde Main, GeAngelos, Fighting Burrito, West Street Deli, West Cyd Wings, Dublin Bay? Ames has plenty of locally owned restaurants. Ankeny? Well, that town is like one big strip mall. It's a cookie cutter town and they're going to get cookie cutter restaurants.

Two things I like about the chains: first, you know what you're going to get. Second, even if you don't like them, at the very least they are going to draw people away from the places you DO like. Besides, there are a lot of students at ISU who come from small towns and don't get the opportunity to go to the chains very often. Only after awhile in Ames do people recognize that the best food is the local stuff. I'd love to see Ames get an Olive Garden not because I'd go there very often, but because the wait at places I WOULD like to go to would decrease.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I'm saying that in comparison to other wing places. Last few times I've been to BWW in WDM it was like getting some KFC tenders with a drizzle of sauce for $12.

The wings remind me of 3 Bag (which are the worst wings I've ever had), and the sauce was pretty good. You can get better wings at quite a few places around DSM.

I don't live in WDM, so I can't speak for the places around there but if it's anything like around here, I'm not too impressed with any of them. I'd much rather go to BWW than any of the local chains.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Gotta say, I'm excited that they're going to have an outdoor patio. Ames does not have enough of those. I STILL think that Lane4 should look at eliminating parallel parking on Welch and make it one way, expanding the sidewalks with outdoor seating at the bars.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Hickory Park, Great Plains, The Cafe, Battles, The Spice, Cafe Shi, Pazzesco's Chophouse, Aunt Maude's, Black Market, Wallaby's, West Towne Pub, Olde Main, GeAngelos, Fighting Burrito, West Street Deli, West Cyd Wings, Dublin Bay?
God damnit. Now I'm starving.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
BWW is what it is. I hate the food but think it's a good thing for Ames.

Now if a chain like Portillo's out of the Chicago area came to town (never gonna happen), I would be one happy camper. Every time I am in Chicago I eat there at least once a day. Sometimes three times a day. Amazing.

Reactions: ketchupnmustard

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
Students won't recognize this but more than anything Ames needs a family facility such as a YMCA. An all-inclusive center with ball courts, pool, track, weightroom, etc. I feel Ames is fine in the restaurant department.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Whether you like BWW or don't care for it, I think we can all agree that it's good for Ames to get more eating/drinking options.

I agree that BWW is good for Ames. As I said in an earlier post, the presence of certain chains raises people's perception of the legitimacy of a community. BWW will do that in Ames.

alarson said:
Im surprised a steak n shake hasnt made it to des moines or ames.

I had Steak and Shake once. Made it about 50 miles before I had to pull over and puke along side I-80.

Never again.

Now Smashburger would be a good chain for Ames to get. They definitely do some unusual stuff that no local joints are really attempting.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I had Steak and Shake once. Made it about 50 miles before I had to pull over and puke along side I-80.
That's because it was probably in Coralville and saw a Cyclone fan coming from a mile away.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think BWW is extremely overrated and overpriced. However, I find myself at the Ankeny one at least once a month, so they are doing something right.

As far as Ames, I think its a very good thing that they are getting something like this, so long as WCW does not crumble. I prefer WCW over BWW any day, my only complaint with WCW; the last few times I have been there the service has been horrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broodwich

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
How can youi screw up wings unless you are cutting corners? There is no way to offer an inferior product unless you are squeezing out profits. People notice. And what is up with long waits - wings should be ready to go just like KFC.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That's because it was probably in Coralville and saw a Cyclone fan coming from a mile away.

It was a combination of 2 hrs sleep, way too much booze and the fact that I ordered the "Extra butter burger" or something like that. All I could taste was butter. Just disgusting. And stupid. And soured me from the entire chain.