Ames flooding

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
My gauge says almost 5.4 inches of rain. And water coming in underneath furnace. Any ideas out there?

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
Our street has turned into a river, and the water is halfway up my driveway. No water yet in the house. Knock on wood. I specifically bought this house away from any stream or river to avoid this ****. Storm sewers just can't keep up.

Some of my neighbors have water up to their house, so I'm guessing their basements will be flooded at the very least.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
My gauge says almost 5.4 inches of rain. And water coming in underneath furnace. Any ideas out there?
It looks like it's almost done raining, so if you can spend an hour mopping, squeegeeing, and shop vaccing....I think that might be your best bet.

• Optimistic
Reactions: casey1973

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I had three pumps working to keep up with my sump tank. Now I'm down to two.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My third pump is a Liberty water pressure pump that works even when the power goes out. I'm just sitting here waiting for the inflow to slow down.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
My third pump is a Liberty water pressure pump that works even when the power goes out. I'm just sitting here waiting for the inflow to slow down.

I have 2 liberty pumps but didn't know they made such a thing.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
I have 2 liberty pumps but didn't know they made such a thing.
They have battery backups. I think I have the Watchdog variety, but it hasn't had to kick in yet since it's the backup. The main sump is still cycling every 13 seconds as of 10 minutes ago. At least the street river in front of my house has finally receded. I'm guessing the storm sewers have had a chance to clear out allowing my downstream intakes to actually intake.

With all this said, I feel terrible for people along the Cedar and Shell Rock Rivers. I've been flooded out of a previous home and it is something i NEVER want to experience again.

Reactions: keepngoal

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Yeah I've been good lately but tonight the water starting coming wall and it overwhelmed my slump pump. It took some time until it finally caught up. So now I have a very damp basement.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
They have battery backups. I think I have the Watchdog variety, but it hasn't had to kick in yet since it's the backup. The main sump is still cycling every 13 seconds as of 10 minutes ago. At least the street river in front of my house has finally receded. I'm guessing the storm sewers have had a chance to clear out allowing my downstream intakes to actually intake.

With all this said, I feel terrible for people along the Cedar and Shell Rock Rivers. I've been flooded out of a previous home and it is something i NEVER want to experience again.

Mine was at 9 seconds and is up to about 16. I'm going to chance it and go try and sleep, even though the sump is right below my bed..........

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
We live just north of 20th Street between Duff and Grand in Ames. Our floor drain backed up and we have water on the floor in the laundry room. It is not bad as it is probably less than 5 gallons on the floor. Time for me to grab the shop vac and go to work.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I come into town from the east on 30, then north to campus on Beach. Is 30 open?

In 2010 I tried for 2 hours to get across the Skunk River & Squaw Creek; tried around the north first but was blocked at Stange. I then went back to I35 and headed south. I was almost back past the my last exit when they closed I35 between Ames & the Huxley exit. Gave up & went home at that point. :)

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
I come into town from the east on 30, then north to campus on Beach. Is 30 open?

In 2010 I tried for 2 hours to get across the Skunk River & Squaw Creek; tried around the north first but was blocked at Stange. I then went back to I35 and headed south. I was almost back past the my last exit when they closed I35 between Ames & the Huxley exit. Gave up & went home at that point. :)

As of 30 minutes ago, 30 was open from Duff to S. Dakota as I drove from Huxley to West Ames.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Crazy how isolated these things are sometimes. I'm in north Ankeny and we only had a bit of rain. I might even still be able to mow today. Good luck to you all in Ames. Hopefully minimal damage around town.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
As of 30 minutes ago, 30 was open from Duff to S. Dakota as I drove from Huxley to West Ames.
I'm more worried about Duff to I35. Specifically where the Skunk crosses it just west of Dayton.

The Skunk is also what kept me from going down to Hwy 210 & coming up Hwy 69 six years ago.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron