Ames Lager

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Ok, but what's everybody else going to drink?
GratefulSillyAmericanredsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
See this is so contradictory to what I was told by one of the managers at Happy's in Cedar Falls. I was told he doesn't get it because they, implicating West O, doesn't send their stuff to him anymore. He said mass public outcry to the brewery itself would be the fastest way to get them to send their product there.

I am convinced at this point that I will never truly understand the process, but Ames Lager showed up in my town today, so all is well

Yeah I was confused when you had said that, cause my understanding was the process is like how Cycsk described. I know all the alcohol in Iowa has to go through the state distributors so it would be strange if breweries could pick/choose who gets what (& no idea why they would deny certain stores anyway). I know stores order liquor, assumed it was the same for beer.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

5Cy

Jun 26, 2015
Which one of you bought 36 six packs from the Grimes Hy-Vee last night? :cool:

Seriously, the manager said someone bought 36 last night.
If this is true then I just have one thing to say to whoever did this…
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let the Ames Lager go now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will drink your beer.

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
Yeah I was confused when you had said that, cause my understanding was the process is like how Cycsk described. I know all the alcohol in Iowa has to go through the state distributors so it would be strange if breweries could pick/choose who gets what (& no idea why they would deny certain stores anyway). I know stores order liquor, assumed it was the same for beer.
From what I recall back in my days working at Dahl's, that's JUST liquor that has to go through the state. They've got a huge warehouse up in Ankeny (I had to go there once for special pickup of stuff we were of). Beer is handled by 2 main distribution companies, and some breweries (like Confluence) distribute themselves. I know Confluence also does distribution for other breweries (it was mentioned on their birthday cake stout cans last year at their 10th Birthday party). I'm not sure how wine is handled, but I think it's the same as beer.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I didn't listen to the podcast but supposedly, KXNO did a blind taste test between Ames Lager and Swarm Swill and the good guys won hands down. If anyone has a time window to catch that part I'd appreciate it.

https://kxno.iheart.com/featured/murph-and-andy/tab/podcasts/

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
That's weird. The link goes to the correct post but the preview is a different post.