Ames Lager

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
It's just a Hy-Vee Liquor promotion. You get a punch card and get a punch for every 4/6 pack of craft beer or growler fill you get at Hy-Vee. After 6 purchases you get the 7th half off. The card says the max discount is $5, but sounds like some may be more generous. Ask about it mext.rime your in a Hy-Vee Liquor.

Same program - he mentioned theirs is better than some other Hy-Vee's as they go up to $8, and allow the discount on 12 packs (not just 4/6 packs).

Reactions: MJ29

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I'm so ******* jealous of everyone that can go buy some. Anyone making a trip up to the cities? :D

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
His cholesterol. :rolleyes:

NIL-related beer sales. I was hinting at his stubborn refusal to allow beer sales to the general public @ Jack Trice. Lord knows we're a stingy fanbase- unless alcohol is involved.
Thanks for being a smart ass. You know the AD has worked with Backpocket on 2 different beers now and is working with We Will on a vodka. I think they are well aware ISU fans like beer and alcohol.

• Friendly
Reactions: CYCLNST8 and 06_CY

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
And if you feel the need to drink during a football game, buy tickets where you can buy alcohol or sneak some in.
I agree. I imagine Jamie goes out and looks in the garbage cans closest to the gates and realizes that his entire fan base is slamming 3 beers on the walk from the car to the stadium. He already allows them to go out and reenter at halftime to repeat the process should they want. Because of this simple observation I dont see him budging on this one.

I think we all like the idea of buying beer in the stadium, but how many $12 beers are we going to be buying to justify the atmosphere change? It'll more than likely come from the senior in college using mommy and daddy's debit card already and Jamie wants no part of that.

Reactions: wxman1

CYFanKC

Aug 8, 2023
I agree. I imagine Jamie goes out and looks in the garbage cans closest to the gates and realizes that his entire fan base is slamming 3 beers on the walk from the car to the stadium. He already allows them to go out and reenter at halftime to repeat the process should they want. Because of this simple observation I dont see him budging on this one.

I think we all like the idea of buying beer in the stadium, but how many $12 beers are we going to be buying to justify the atmosphere change? It'll more than likely come from the senior in college using mommy and daddy's debit card already and Jamie wants no part of that.
Your argument is that the atmosphere will change if you can buy alcohol in the stadium but also that people are already drinking during the game by going out at half time and drinking??

And does it matter where the revenue comes from if it helps improve athletic facilities ?

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Your argument is that the atmosphere will change if you can buy alcohol in the stadium but also that people are already drinking during the game by going out at half time and drinking??

And does it matter where the revenue comes from if it helps improve athletic facilities ?
I'm not arguing anything man, I'm saying Jamie is pretty deadset on the family atmosphere of his venues and he's not wanting to change that. He fears the 12 year old getting beer spilt on them from behind. The odds are the parent of that 12 year old (on average) is not spilling the beer. We are all aware of the financial impact. Pollard knows dang well what it could bring in. I don't think his standard will change. I do truly believe Jamie Pollard is a straight up family guy and as long as he holds the keys his venues will be family friendly. He can't control beer on the outside, but he can control beer on the inside. Letting fans go outside at halftime is his way of meeting in the middle.

I'm not going to pay $12 for a beer in a sporting venue, but plenty of people will.

Reactions: NWICY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Thanks for being a smart ass. You know the AD has worked with Backpocket on 2 different beers now and is working with We Will on a vodka. I think they are well aware ISU fans like beer and alcohol.
I bought the Clone Fest and the Vodka today too lol.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I'm not arguing anything man, I'm saying Jamie is pretty deadset on the family atmosphere of his venues and he's not wanting to change that. He fears the 12 year old getting beer spilt on them from behind. The odds are the parent of that 12 year old (on average) is not spilling the beer. We are all aware of the financial impact. Pollard knows dang well what it could bring in. I don't think his standard will change. I do truly believe Jamie Pollard is a straight up family guy and as long as he holds the keys his venues will be family friendly. He can't control beer on the outside, but he can control beer on the inside. Letting fans go outside at halftime is his way of meeting in the middle.

I'm not going to pay $12 for a beer in a sporting venue, but plenty of people will.
Which is hilarious, because I guarantee people are getting more drunk binge drinking prior to entering rather than keeping a steady buzz through the game.

Also, middle school aged Finny had a drunk fan puke right next to me circa 2005 at Jack Trice Stadium.
Jamie blocking alcohol sales for the masses in Jack Trice Stadium isn’t stopping any drunken behavior

• Winner
Reactions: CYFanKC

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I pay 11.99 or more a six for gluten free beer all the time. Wish there was be a GF beer to support the clones. 2019 ISU helmet.JPG

• Friendly
Reactions: MJ29

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Which is hilarious, because I guarantee people are getting more drunk binge drinking prior to entering rather than keeping a steady buzz through the game.

Also, middle school aged Finny had a drunk fan puke right next to me circa 2005 at Jack Trice Stadium.
Jamie blocking alcohol sales for the masses in Jack Trice Stadium isn’t stopping any drunken behavior
When Pollard says he's blocking alcohol sales because he wants to preserve a family environment, he's lying through his teeth.

It's a combination of wanting alcohol to be a perk that they can upcharge for to get you to sit in the south endzone, and also wanting to not cut into the tailgate scene in any way. ISU tailgating is the kind of thing that keeps ticket sales strong when the team sucks.

They use the morality card because it's easy, and less likely to piss people off than the truth, which is at the end of the day he thinks he can make more money with the status quo, long term.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I pay 11.99 or more a six for gluten free beer all the time. Wish there was be a GF beer to support the clones. View attachment 115861

And they are, for the most part, terrible. FWIW, Bud Light, Corona, and probably the other domestic-ish swill all has lower than 20ppm gluten, which means, other than having wheat as an ingredient, they could be considered gluten free.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
When Pollard says he's blocking alcohol sales because he wants to preserve a family environment, he's lying through his teeth.

It's a combination of wanting alcohol to be a perk that they can upcharge for to get you to sit in the south endzone, and also wanting to not cut into the tailgate scene in any way. ISU tailgating is the kind of thing that keeps ticket sales strong when the team sucks.

They use the morality card because it's easy, and less likely to piss people off than the truth, which is at the end of the day he thinks he can make more money with the status quo, long term.
That and if Pollard could print money by allowing alcohol sales to everyone in the Stadium, he'd be doing it by now. By keeping it exclusive, it's an incentive for people to donate more and it also keeps tailgating strong.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
And they are, for the most part, terrible. FWIW, Bud Light, Corona, and probably the other domestic-ish swill all has lower than 20ppm gluten, which means, other than having wheat as an ingredient, they could be considered gluten free.
I can't even drink the gluten removed beers which mostly suck without a reaction. PPM doesn't matter in my case it has to be sorghum based or rice based no malt or barley. Any true celiac should not be drinking any domestic beers unless you can handle the aftermath.

• Friendly
Reactions: MJ29 and Pat