NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
d16b50ef-883d-47db-addf-a330f56dfccd_text.gif

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just went to Fareway Somerset. They were down to a case and a half. Plenty of CloneFest and Red Corn Ale from Peace Tree.

Reactions: GMackey32

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Downs & Fales liked the Ames Lager over Swarm. Murphy liked the Swarm. The Trice Legacy Beer was towards the bottom of their lists.
Downs choosing Ames Lager as his favorite was pretty funny. I was surprised at their reaction to the Red Corn Ale. I had it for the first time last night and genuinely really liked it. Can't wait to try the Ames Lager I bought later today.

Reactions: MJ29

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I tried the red corn ale last night and didn't like it. I knew it wasn't in the spectrum I normally like, but took a stab at it anyways.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Downs choosing Ames Lager as his favorite was pretty funny. I was surprised at their reaction to the Red Corn Ale. I had it for the first time last night and genuinely really liked it. Can't wait to try the Ames Lager I bought later today.

I think it depends if you like reds. I do, so I like that beer a lot, but there are a lot of people who do not like reds.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
West Clive Fareway (Hickman west of 156th) says they are trying to get it, but it'll probably be next week.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Ames Lager is pretty damn good.

Packaging: I was a little 'meh' on the label and name when I first saw it announced. However, it looks great on the shelf next to other things. It's very noticeable and stands out. You clearly know what you're getting. I'm a craft beer guy, and many beers have real fancy graphic designs with funny names, but you really have to study it or know what you're doing to figure out what style it is. This one leaves no doubts and the large red AMES LAGER really stands out on the white background with cardinal/gold accents. The can also has some nice helpful text to let you know what the story of it is along with info about finding more about We Will on their website. Hoping to see this in a 12 pack box in the future.

Nose: Bready sweetness. More bread than sweet. Maybe a very slight citrus-ness to it.

Mouthfeel: Expected it to be very watery but it has a little grunt to it. This is not a standard domestic light beer.

Color: Light and golden. The picture Blum shared of a pour out of the tank made it look more like a pseudoSue. However, that wasn't the finished product and this is much more clear. Appropriate amount of carbonation.

Taste: Crisp and a clean finish. I feel this is robust enough to appease a Busch Latte drinker or those of us (myself included) that enjoy the other areas of craft beer. This will be a crowd favorite. No off-putting tastes like can happen with some pilsners, just a real nice beer for the masses. I get a hint of sweetness (not overpowering) at first, which may make it more desirable for some casual drinkers. Doesn't linger with aftertaste. Refreshing after a hot day or a Cyclone victory. Well done!