Ames Summer Jobs

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Summers in Ames, even those under 21, were some very fun times. Took a class here and there, worked, and partied with friends. Three hours of sleep for 120 consecutive days was an option then. No longer.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
What's your major? Depending on what you're studying, you might be able to find a summer research job or some sort of summer work in your department/college.

That's what I did for a couple summers. Good relevant experience and kinda fun.

And as everyone else says Summer Ames>>>Regular Ames.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I recommend the golf course if you're a golfer. But if you need some intern-experience that's on you to find. There's a high-profile ISU FB player working down here in Ankeny at our course...

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
In regards to golf courses, if half of my old roommate's stories are true, that's the job to get.
If the show Red Oaks on Amazon is even remotely close to reality, get a job at a country club.

Oh wait, I worked at a country club and it's not true. Get a job at a country club anyway. Free golf on a nice course.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
There's a lot of ag research done during the summer, and they are often looking for field hands. Hard work, long hours, but they pay pretty good.
I did ag research for a couple summers. They had remote plots all over Iowa so I got paid to sleep in the back of a van when we traveled . Like KC said, it can be long hours and hard work but it is good pay.

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
I got a lot of satisfaction working grounds crew for ISU when I was there for the summer a few years ago. You get to spend all day outside, see every part of ISU's grounds (my favorite part), and you get the day off when it rains for the most part.

I miss summers in Ames...

I will second this. That's was an awesome, extremely easy job. The pay was terrible but god I was happy.

Sometimes when I'm having a bad day I think back to that summer and all of the awesomeness that entailed and it helps.

Reactions: Lahey

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I got a lot of satisfaction working grounds crew for ISU when I was there for the summer a few years ago. You get to spend all day outside, see every part of ISU's grounds (my favorite part), and you get the day off when it rains for the most part.

I miss summers in Ames...
I'll 2nd this. I worked there one summer and it was great; pretty chill job and got to work outdoors. Met some good friends there too

cyguy9320

Nov 26, 2006
If you like the outdoors, City of Ames Parks & Rec, Homewood Golf Course, or Veenker would be good options. I worked for Parks & Rec for 3 summers in college and occasionally helped at the golf course since it is technically under the Parks & Rec umbrella. Guaranteed 40 hours a week, decent pay, and fairly easy/low key.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
One thing I regret is never spending s summer in Ames.

• Agree
Reactions: kevdiv48

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
I stayed in Ames during the summer before my graduation year. Knowing what I know now, i should have stayed in Ames every summer I was there.
I took one summer class and got a job with a local tree service company. It was tough physical labor in the summer heat but the pay was outstanding and I was still young and bulletproof. I made a bunch of new friends since my usual circle of friends had all went home for the summer. It was only three months, but it was by far some of the more memorable times I had at ISU.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Interesting. I've never heard of people doing that stretch. Where did you get on and off? I didn't think it'd be deep enough based off going through that park on the bike trails.
We did it once in and few kayaks. Friend dropped trou and was mooning golfers. They were laughing and shanking golf balls at us.

• Funny
Reactions: Farnsworth

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I was lucky to have internships within driving distance of Ames two different summers. It was the best. Ames in the summer is so laid back and so much fun, plus I had cash to spend.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I never went home for any summers in college at ISU. Absolutely loved how the city changes. better traffic, easier to get groceries, by the time it was Thursday it felt like the weekend was starting.
Lots of Cubs day games, Peterson Pits, Mickey's patio, house parties. Loved it!

Uh, you were late to the party. I stayed in Ames for one summer session and had a specific destination for each night Tuesday thru Saturday. THEN it was the weekend and time for book learning. Took three classes -- journalism ethics (or law, don't remember which), real estate intro, tennis -- no paying job.