Ames & surrounding area couples date night activities help

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
We have a group of anywhere from 5-7 couples all the same age (late 30's) that will occasionally get sitters for the kids and go out and try and do something fun. Whether that's renting Kayaks at Seven Oaks, then dinner or dinner then going to Time Out arcade bar for awhile. Definitely not bar hopping like we used to in our 20's. But looking for suggestions on fun things to do as a group for an upcoming group date night? This could be in Ames, Story City, Nevada, Boone, Etc. GIA

Please, only serious suggestions. No 'Key party' comments :)

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
We have a group of anywhere from 5-7 couples all the same age (late 30's) that will occasionally get sitters for the kids and go out and try and do something fun. Whether that's renting Kayaks at Seven Oaks, then dinner or dinner then going to Time Out arcade bar for awhile. Definitely not bar hopping like we used to in our 20's. But looking for suggestions on fun things to do as a group for an upcoming group date night? This could be in Ames, Story City, Nevada, Boone, Etc. GIA

Please, only serious suggestions. No 'Key party' comments :)

Is Blonde's still in operation? You're spouse will love it.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
One spot I've found lately that's got a cool vibe for the 30-50 crowd is Captain Roy's in Des Moines. I know you want to stay around Ames, but if you get a wild hair and venture south hit up Captain Roy's on a nice night.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
High trestle trail is great for bike riding, pretty flat between Slater and Woodward, I think its ~13 miles one way through that stretch.

Disc golf is a cheap investment (as little as $8 a person to get going) with some great courses in Ames and Des Moines that are all free to play.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
An escape room or hatchet throwing maybe?

For something a little less conventional:

A recent thing our group of friends did was pretty fun. We started out a night where we set up a photo scavenger hunt beginning at a certain time. We had the couples drive around an area and get pictures of various items (one of them had to be in the picture) and send them to a group text. We set up the final item be a picture of the establishment we wanted everyone to meet up at.

It takes a little effort on someone's part to set up the clues and have them be difficult yet attainable. Depending on your friends, you can have them be crude, funny, etc.

Some examples we used:

- a picture of your wife taking a shot of tequila
- someone in a Royals or Chiefs shirt (being in KC)
- a live animal besides a cat or a dog
- something too inappropriate for your kids (this one got some GREAT submissions)
- something white trash (again, one of them had to be in the picture)
- a specific street sign

You get the benefit of doing something as a couple first and then as a group later.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
An escape room or hatchet throwing maybe?

For something a little less conventional:

A recent thing our group of friends did was pretty fun. We started out a night where we set up a photo scavenger hunt beginning at a certain time. We had the couples drive around an area and get pictures of various items (one of them had to be in the picture) and send them to a group text. We set up the final item be a picture of the establishment we wanted everyone to meet up at.

It takes a little effort on someone's part to set up the clues and have them be difficult yet attainable. Depending on your friends, you can have them be crude, funny, etc.

Some examples we used:

- a picture of your wife taking a shot of tequila
- someone in a Royals or Chiefs shirt (being in KC)
- a live animal besides a cat or a dog
- something too inappropriate for your kids (this one got some GREAT submissions)
- something white trash (again, one of them had to be in the picture)
- a specific street sign

You get the benefit of doing something as a couple first and then as a group later.

Whoa didn't realize I was such an underachiever...

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Whoa didn't realize I was such an underachiever...

My daughter had a photo scavenger hunt during a birthday party one time and I thought it was a cool idea with no cost involved. I just upped the stakes a little. I spent maybe half an hour putting it together.

I was asked to do it again sometime, so I assume it went over well.

Reactions: NWICY and STATE12

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Goodwill Date Night.

Go to a Goodwill store. Each person buys their spouse's outfit to go out to dinner in. $10-$15 budget. Buy outfits, get changed, hit up a restaurant and enjoy the looks everyone will receive from staff and other customers!

• Funny
Reactions: BurgundyClone