Android Apps

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I just purchased a new phone which came with $100 in google play store credit which I have to spend in the next 2 weeks.

While I have had a android phone of differing varieties the last 3 or 4 years I have never really bought any apps. I have searched for top apps on google but I am not really seeing much that I would want to spend it on. Maybe I am better off just using the $100 towards a nexus 10.

Looking for suggestions on good paid apps

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
You can use it for books, magazines and movies too. I'm not sure I could come up with $100 worth of apps. Most of the apps I use are free or $.99

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
The only app I really up with is logmein ignition which is $29.99 for remote access to my office, but that is only if I can't get it to work in a browser. And I have thought about the movies and books too, but I am no sure if I really want to buy a movie for my phone. Is there a way to play those movies on my PS3?

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
$100 would be ton of apps. If you have to spend it I'd also suggest using it for books and movies.

I did just recently buy the Poweramp music player for $4 and it's by far the best player I've come across on android.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
If you are a weather junkie, I would suggest PYKL3
PYKL3 Radar

This is by far the best radar app I've come across. It gets you access to the TDWRs, as well as products beyond base reflectivity (such as radial velocity) that the free radar apps (and some pay radar apps) don't give you.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
If you are a weather junkie, I would suggest PYKL3
PYKL3 Radar

This is by far the best radar app I've come across. It gets you access to the TDWRs, as well as products beyond base reflectivity (such as radial velocity) that the free radar apps (and some pay radar apps) don't give you.

That is something I could really use. One of my biggest complaints when out working is the crap weather maps compared to my computer.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'd go with a nexus tablet or a Google version of either the GS4 or HTC One.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
If you have a Cyclones.tv subscription, I would recommend buying the Cyclones App.

If you're a baseball fan, the MLB at bat app is pretty good. Huge, but pretty good.

Pay-version of AVG antivirus.

I think those are the only paid-version of apps that I've bought. If you like games, you might as well buy some ad-free versions. I recommend Words With Friends, Ruzzle, and Osmos.

Dino

Mar 26, 2009
Des Moines
If you buy movies or TV shows, they are attached to your account not just your phone. So you can also watch them on a tablet or computer, which also allows you to connect those to a tv. That's probably what I'd do.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Two words: audio books. Listen to them in the car, while you exercise, while you do house projects, you name it.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
About the only app I've paid for is called Colup. It's pretty basic, but allows me to view my co-workers outlook calendars on my phone. For my job, it is very handy to have.

Other than that one, every other app I've downloaded has been free.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I'd go with a nexus tablet or a Google version of either the GS4 or HTC One.

Since I just bought a phone to get the credit I don't think I need another one. But I am kinda leaning towards a new tablet. Just kinda hate to do it while the touchpad still works great.

Swiftkey and GPS Status are two paid apps I really like.

Swift Key is one I have come across a lot on the lists I have been looking over, and I plan to get that one no matter what.
Can GPS status plot a course of where you have been, like if I go hiking or fishing on a large lake to help you find your way back if you get lost? I have a friend that has a handheld gps that will tell you the exact course you took, your average speed, and distance traveled. Worked really nice up in Canada fishing.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Since I just bought a phone to get the credit I don't think I need another one. But I am kinda leaning towards a new tablet. Just kinda hate to do it while the touchpad still works great.

Swift Key is one I have come across a lot on the lists I have been looking over, and I plan to get that one no matter what.
Can GPS status plot a course of where you have been, like if I go hiking or fishing on a large lake to help you find your way back if you get lost? I have a friend that has a handheld gps that will tell you the exact course you took, your average speed, and distance traveled. Worked really nice up in Canada fishing.

No but MyTracks is a fantastic app for just that. The only thing to keep in mind when using GPS on your phone is that it is another radio that is on sucking battery so you will have significantly reduced battery life.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We're probably not too far from a refresh on the google tablet line, so might want to hold up on that for a little bit if you go that route.

Help Support Us

Become a patron