Annoying Pop Ups

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Always. I just love the ones right by my notifications that make it so I can't click my notifications without accidentally clicking an infolink to more popup ads. And the absolute worst atrocity on this site of all places: adds for Iowa Hawkeyes stuff, constantly.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
It’s so bad lately I cannot consistently navigate the site from my phone. Absolutely terrible.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I have three pop ups on my screen right now and have to continually reload the page in hopes I can find the post button or to page through a thread. Any other website and I’d have given up long ago.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I have three pop ups on my screen right now and have to continually reload the page in hopes I can find the post button or to page through a thread. Any other website and I’d have given up long ago.
Everyone complains about the DMR, but at least they keep their site up and running clean.
Chris- Is your team going to do anything here? How many/% is this affecting? Concur. Absolutely terrible.
oh, well.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
So that is the same problem I inferred from my own experience and what others were posting in the other thread.

Here is a link to my first in a series of posts there, with more about that "edge" site:

I don't use DuckDuckGo a lot, but I believe it is the only ad I've seen in that browser.

Last edited:

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I run safari with Adblock. The website is unusable without it.

I occasionally use my work PC and it seems like 10 percent of the time it locks up chrome. If it’s not, it’s jumping everywhere.

David Freshman1982

Sep 14, 2022
No problems at all on the laptop running Safari on Mac with ad blocking activated. The occasional ad sneaks through, nothing intrusive, no problems.

But Safari on the iPhone, yeah, the site here is brutal. Waaaay too many ads, half the time I can't even click from one page of a thread to the next because yet more popups are taking up all the real estate. As a result, I rarely hit this site anymore when browsing on my iPhone, which sucks.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Always. I just love the ones right by my notifications that make it so I can't click my notifications without accidentally clicking an infolink to more popup ads. And the absolute worst atrocity on this site of all places: adds for Iowa Hawkeyes stuff, constantly.

I don't recall ever seeing a single hawk ad on here, maybe stop going to hawk sites?

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Everyone complains about the DMR, but at least they keep their site up and running clean.

oh, well.

Yeah, you also need to PAY to see more than like 5 rag articles a week. This site is FREE, which has to be paid for somehow.

It hasn't been near as bad on my phone (Google) as most here are experiencing. Rarely blocks any navigation buttons, but when it has I've been able to hit the small x in the corner of the ad or switch to landscape view momentarily to fix. uBlock adblocker plug-in on desktop is amazing (especially for YouTube) - highly recommend that free desktop add-on for Chrome.