Annual Matt Campbell in demand - 2020 version

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Not a whole lot of new info in this but a reporter who covered Campbell at Toledo thinks that he would be interested in the Michigan job.

Those local reporters usually know more. Its interesting that he is so sure they'd be interested in Michigan.

Reactions: agentbear

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Here is my hope, we soon hear of him getting another extension and raise to bring him into the top 20 in pay, and a substantial bump for his staff.
1.5 mil to replace what he was reduced for the covid, and raise to about 5m in line with Ferentz and the top 20 coaches.
1 mil more for his staff.
4 year extension with increases to his buyout.
Will this happen, with the covid, I don't know, but we need to pay what others are paying and offering or we won't be keeping our coaches.
Some of those winey professors could take a pay cut instead of all the budget cuts out of the AD for the pandemic. God knows Campus didn't cut anything.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
First, I want to enjoy this season without thinking about what next year will bring. When you establish a culture and the type of development program we have now, we return a ton! As of now...(I realize these aren't certain but neither is their departure!)

1. We return the same coaching staff that turned this tide and got us where we are
  2. They now actually have accomplishment and trend to sell on the recruiting trail
  3. The all time record holder in most categories for a QB
  4. Mackey award semi-finalist
  5. Joe Moore Award Watch list offensive line (9 of 10 in depth chart aren't seniors)
  6. Much of an outstanding defense (7 seniors in defensive 2-deeps)
  7. NCAAF leading rusher at RB
  8. ...

My point is not to give an exhaustive list, but rather to point out all the things we have returning rather that the "oh crap look at what we are losing" view.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Over on Inside 40 Acres they are talking about Campbell a lot. A lot of debating. The negative against him in their minds is he can't beat his rival, plays down to non power 5s, and can't beat any non conference P5s. And they are worried if he can recruit at an elite level. The positives is they think he can fix their entitled culture.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Over on Inside 40 Acres they are talking about Campbell a lot. A lot of debating. The negative against him in their minds is he can't beat his rival, plays down to non power 5s, and can't beat any non conference P5s. And they are worried if he can recruit at an elite level. The positives is they think he can fix their entitled culture.

SurlyHorns is talking about him a lot too. Some guy claims that Campbell was interested last year.

I really can't see him taking a job that requires him to come back here next year and play the team he's just built up.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
SurlyHorns is talking about him a lot too. Some guy claims that Campbell was interested last year.

I really can't see him taking a job that requires him to come back here next year and play the team he's just built up.

Texas would just shock me.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I'm guessing OSU would take Luke FIckell over CMC if for some reason that job came open in the near term. So that's another reason for confidence
Maybe. Fickell wasn't happy that Day got the job over him. Gene is not a Fickell guy.

• Funny
Reactions: agentbear

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Seems like no one in OSU land would be excited by Fickell. Hartline is the next anointed one. People don’t trust that Fickell can compete for the #1 recruiting class every year. Same with CMC so I believe THAT is what we have going for us.
Harline will get some opportunities after this year. Day is going to be at OSU for awhile.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Texas would just shock me.

Agreed. There are a million reasons I just can't see it.

It would be a real ****** move, and man, there would be some real hate when he came out on to the Jack Trice Field in burnt orange next Fall. It would make the Haluska game look like child's play. You'd think his former players would be out for blood, too.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I still believe that Fickell will be the next coach at Texas and Michigan will have Harbaugh for another year.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I still believe that Fickell will be the next coach at Texas and Michigan will have Harbaugh for another year.

The Athletic article today makes me think anything is possible on that front including bringing back Herman

Texas....not as elite as it seems and a hot mess of competing stakeholders. The turnover in the AD, coaching, presidents.....facilities issues (?)...a mess

A mess with a gigantic checkbook, however

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The main thing that worries me if/when Campbell leaves is that he'll probably want to bring his staff with him to the extent possible. Hypothetically, would we try to throw money at Manning or Heacock to stay and be the head guy? Go after Candle if that fails?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The main thing that worries me if/when Campbell leaves is that he'll probably want to bring his staff with him to the extent possible. Hypothetically, would we try to throw money at Manning or Heacock to stay and be the head guy? Go after Candle if that fails?

I hope not. He hasn't done enough in Toledo. That would be a lazy move by the AD.

I'd look at the Tulsa coach, the Coastal coach, and Billy Napier.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I hope not. He hasn't done enough in Toledo. That would be a lazy move by the AD.

I'd look at the Tulsa coach, the Coastal coach, and Billy Napier.

That’d be a good list.

If possible, I’d want to get Campbell’s input on who he thinks would be the best guy to keep this thing going

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That’d be a good list.

If possible, I’d want to get Campbell’s input on who he thinks would be the best guy to keep this thing going

Napier said he’s staying at LA. I’d still make a run at him though.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Those local reporters usually know more. Its interesting that he is so sure they'd be interested in Michigan.

I mean that local reporter is also 5 years detached from Campbell being there.

Would he have taken that call from MIchigan as a toledo coach? Probably. Would he take it now, having brought Iowa State to where it is? Maybe, but i think the odds of that are at least decreased.