Another baffling prohm timeout

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
A terrible Prohm coaching choice.
1 timeout left, game tied twenty second left, WVU shooting 2nd of 2 shot ft, and he burns the last timeout.

This means we can't set up a half court play, or call a to of we can't get an inbound against their press.

And what do you know? We turn the ball over.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
You watch that whole game & this is what you're going to nitpick? Get over it. He had the guys playing great today.

I get Prohm is on the hot seat but threads like this are idiotic.
Horseshoes and hand grenades

Reactions: tzjung

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
You watch that whole game & this is what you're going to nitpick? Get over it. He had the guys playing great today.

I get Prohm is on the hot seat but threads like this are idiotic.
How is this idiotic? It's a big coaching issue.

I'm a huge bball fan, and was even on the prohm defendera thread defendimg him... But that was an amateur coaching move, and prohm makes alof them.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I didn't LOVE the timeout but I get the logic in this case I think. Allows you to get the team on the same page going into the offensive possession and also doubles as an "ice" of the free throw shooter in an attempt to get him to miss the go-ahead.

Not sure I would have done the same thing, but I don't think it's anywhere close to the worst timeout Prohm has called.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I didn't LOVE the timeout but I get the logic in this case I think. Allows you to get the team on the same page going into the offensive possession and also doubles as an "ice" of the free throw shooter in an attempt to get him to miss the go-ahead.

Not sure I would have done the same thing, but I don't think it's anywhere close to the worst timeout Prohm has called.

You also run through the plan for a make, miss and D reb or a very possible O reb by WVU.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
You also run through the plan for a make, miss and D reb or a very possible O reb by WVU.
I understand the ice id you're up one, or have another timeout. But to do this with the last timeout when you also don't yet knew the situation (tied or down one) then you save it... Especially when weve had issues with inbounding.

I yelled this to my wife when it happened... You don't have to be a genius to have seen what would happen there.

Reactions: CyBobby

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This is just looking for something to ***** about. Not only was it an attempt to ice a shooter on a critical free throw it allowed the team to set up the play as the plan was the same whether he made it or not. Take the last shot to win the game.

The fact they couldn't get inbounds sucks I agree but it's hard to put that on Prohm.

Tonight reminded me of Hoiberg's first season. Not knowing how to close a team out. This is a huge improvement over the previous three.

Last edited:

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
A terrible Prohm coaching choice.
1 timeout left, game tied twenty second left, WVU shooting 2nd of 2 shot ft, and he burns the last timeout.

This means we can't set up a half court play, or call a to of we can't get an inbound against their press.

And what do you know? We turn the ball over.
They turn the ball over at an amazing rate after him calling time outs. He’s “coaching them up” lol

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
Prohm is not able to communicate instructions to his team in game. With that in mind time-outs should be conserved for substitutions or to prevent 5 second violations.

• Informative
Reactions: cyputz

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
This is just looking for something to ***** about. Not only was it an attempt to ice a shooter on a critical timeour it allowed the team to set up the play as the plan was the same whether he made it or not. Take the last shot to win the game.

The fact they couldn't get inbounds sucks I agree but it's hard to put that on Prohm.

Its absolutely on prohm. Using the last timeout made us understandably more panicked. You keep that timeout.. You can drill. In possession after you call a to at the half or when you don't get ball. In first time.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I could understand the move if you had a group you know can get the ball in, I don't agree with it but I get the logic behind it. We don't have that type of team. The amount of unforced turnovers we have it crazy. We have to lead the country in offensive fouls right? This group hasn't prove they deserve to be trusted in that situation.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz and CyBobby