Another double foul!

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
It was just yesterday that I said I have not seen a double foul since the ISU / MSU game.

I just saw another one called in the FL / UCLA game and Curtis Shaw was involved in both of them.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Who will the refs protect more on Monday night: Oden or Noah?

I think it will depend on what part of the country the refs normally work. Most of the crew in the second game, which is boring, is from the midwest and they are letting them play a lot more than the crew in the first game.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
It was just yesterday that I said I have not seen a double foul since the ISU / MSU game.

I just saw another one called in the FL / UCLA game and Curtis Shaw was involved in both of them.

Glad to see people still remember that Shaw was involved in that other one so we can continue to heckle him in the future. Also, Tommy O'Neill was involved in the one tonight...he's the idiot who gave Kansas the free 3-pointer a couple years ago in Lawrence.

Cymaster

Jun 14, 2006
I never understood that, and likely never will. How can you call BOTH? I can't see how this can actually be in the rulebook. It makes no logical sense...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Reggie Evans from EIU committed a double foul last year when he grabbed both of them.

pcyclonatrist

Aug 22, 2006
The simultaneous charge/block call is ridiculous and only exposes the subjectivity of basketball refereeing.

The NCAA ought to mandate that if the refs want to call both a charge and a block on the same play then they should call no foul and any points scored on the play will count.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The refs were too egotistical to say they were wrong on big game. Maybe you can charge and then maybe the other guy can grab your arm. It may be possible to follow each other at the same time.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
The simultaneous charge/block call is ridiculous and only exposes the subjectivity of basketball refereeing.

The NCAA ought to mandate that if the refs want to call both a charge and a block on the same play then they should call no foul and any points scored on the play will count.

I agree. You'd think that it would either be waved off, or discussed in a ref-huddle like they do in football.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I did see a "double foul" in a Creighton game several years ago. Up until last night that was the only one since the MSU fiasco. Amazing. By definition of a "blocking foul" and a"charging foul" it HAS to be one or the other.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
My blood boils every time I think about the infamous "double foul." Thanks for bringing it up. I mean what kind of spineless do you have to be to make that call. GET OUT OF THE WAY REFS!! Let them play. Oh, my day is ruined. I need to call my therapist.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I thought Lonnie Dixon made that horrible call in our game against MSU. And, IIRC he also had tossed LE out of a game when LE was at Utah St. I may be wrong though.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The Final Four referee calls have been questioned by many in the media. Our ESPN friends said three of the four halves were poorly reffed.
Who do these guys get these assignments?

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
Think about the OSU G'Town game. If Oden gets the charge called on him, I thought the guy was set, I don't know if OSU hangs on.

The bad part was the ref comes running over, like he doesn't want to make a call either way, then looks at whose laying there. It seemed after he looked at the two players to see who they were before making the call. One of them was Oden, so he got the call. But it took like 4-5 seconds before he makes the call.

Of course CBS glossed it over, but I did catch Nance going "ohhhh," when he saw the replay.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
I can't believe the double foul call still exists! Even back in the MSU game, why didn't Paul Shirley get to shoot his free throws? They (the refs) were quick enough to wave off his basket, even after the fact nothing was initially called. Actually "the call" is still modified from ref to ref. Shirley took an inbounds pass in mid-air and had the right to come down with the ball. Shaw didn't see it that way... he thought the collision was simultanous or something... no points, defenses ball out of bounds. Bottom line, those ref's were gonna be damned if Iowa State beat MSU that day in Auburn Hills. Personnally, I think that officiating crew had way to much money on that game.