Another female teacher incident

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Wonder who gave her the legal advice to plead guilty to get the absolute max sentence.

Carroll County has had a few rough years for students and their educators. Wasn't all that long ago Vaske at Kuemper got caught with a senior and slapped on the wrist.

I'm sure the choir teacher when I was in high school who immediately "officially" started dating a senior after she graduated wasn't crossing all kinds of lines while she was a student. Nope definitely not.

Niece worked with her at IKM- Manning, said that she deserved the sentence.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I watch a ton of documentaries, as well as shows like "Inside The World's Toughest Prisons" and it always amazes me how diverse sentencing can be - both across countries and even within the same. And that's just for normal sentencing, not the drastic variations handed out by juries or judges within the same country for the same crime.

It can be something like first degree murder of 5-10 years in one country to death in another. Murder penalty of 10 years and something like shoplifting penalty of 15 years in the same country. There are places where you can go to jail for smoking weed and do more time than if you raped or killed somebody.
I could not agree more with you. Its like the sentence is a random number generator. GF watches a ton of real life crime stuff and its shocking how much difference in sentences there can be. One episode a gang member got in a fight and shot someone and got 40 years. Very next episode a meth guy with a history of domestic violence stalked and killed his ex-gf. He got 6 years and was out in 2!

So many factors have a huge influence on the sentence:
  • Hanging judge vs bleeding heart
  • Mandatory sentencing or not
  • Good/bad lawyer
  • Strength of case evidence for plea bargains
  • Prosecuting atty lazy or aggressive
All these things can be like a factor of +/- 50% to the sentence. So its no wonder there's variance. To some extent you WANT that variance, so a wise judge can make the punishment fit the crime, but it also leads to some bizarre outcomes.

• Winner
Reactions: Jer and Drew0311

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Wonder who gave her the legal advice to plead guilty to get the absolute max sentence.

Carroll County has had a few rough years for students and their educators. Wasn't all that long ago Vaske at Kuemper got caught with a senior and slapped on the wrist.

I'm sure the choir teacher when I was in high school who immediately "officially" started dating a senior after she graduated wasn't crossing all kinds of lines while she was a student. Nope definitely not.
The senior at Kuemper might have been 18. This is worse being 13 year olds involved.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Hope the judge points out when sentencing happens that she thought it was funny when she got arrested. She will do the whole crying thing and say she made a mistake. The truth is that her smiling in the mug shot is going to get probably 5 years added on to her sentence

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I'm unsure of exactly where the line is but I know there's one somewhere between 13 and 18 that makes this much, much worse.

The line is 18. That has been established. Everyone knows it and if men and women can’t find someone 18 and older, they deserve jail. I don’t care if they say he or she is a mature 16 or 17 year old. Still under age.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Read an article that said the victim was 13 and it had been going on for a while. So figured it started when he was 12
I don't understand how that would work?
How bout i show you my boobs and then we can wash out your underwear?

Regardless that's a new level of sick.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Does a volunteer church worker count as a teacher?

This is in the community I lived in since 2007 when I moved to TX until I moved into Dallas this past Fall. That church is one of the mega-churches in this region. They work really hard to indoctrinate the kids with summer camps and youth programs year-round. The rumor has been that there's been a lot of this type of stuff going on around those programs for some time.

• Informative
Reactions: MJ29

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
This is in the community I lived in since 2007 when I moved to TX until I moved into Dallas this past Fall. That church is one of the mega-churches in this region. They work really hard to indoctrinate the kids with summer camps and youth programs year-round. The rumor has been that there's been a lot of this type of stuff going on around those programs for some time.

Sexology instead of Scientology now. How times have changed.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

My bull **** meter goes off the charts with the mega church stuff. Wife and I had our biggest fight when we were dating.

Went to a mega church event and it was more about selling books and shirts than anything. I called bull **** loudly enough to really start a dust up.

I will never trust my kids at any religious or church sponsored event. I'm there or he isn't.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Don't forget the Catholic Church has had problems for years.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Don't forget the Catholic Church has had problems for years.
Yeah, but they have finally been very proactive about doing something about it. There is mandatory training for every volunteer on what you have to avoid (e.g. being alone with a minor without another adult present) but more importantly how to recognize the warning signs that something bad for a child is going on.

The Catholic Church deserved all they got for the bad **** that happened and worse the failure to deal with suspected issues in some cases, but they have tried to be responsible and do all they can to prevent it in the future for the last 10 years or so.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The line is 18. That has been established. Everyone knows it and if men and women can’t find someone 18 and older, they deserve jail. I don’t care if they say he or she is a mature 16 or 17 year old. Still under age.

Someone should tell the state of Iowa that, age of consent is 16.

Of course for this particular topic their age is mostly irrelevant, it's illegal even at 18.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Yeah, well consent laws aren't actually that simple so you're not correct there but also, all of these things are not equal. I didn't say any of them were okay but if you don't draw a distinction between a 22 year old and a 17 year old having some sort of relationship vs. a 35 year old and a 13 year old, then we just aren't going to agree on really anything.