Another one bites the dust

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Sa'Derian Perry had a strong tourney at 141 for Eastern Michigan.

1st AA for Eastern Michigan since 1999

Last edited:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Sa’Derian ‏ @chief_sperry 3h3 hours ago
Looking for a D1 wrestling school to go to.

DYuosVxXcAAk40u.jpg

9 replies 45 retweets 89 likes

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I hate to see this. I wonder what the sport will look like in 10 years...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's cute that they think they're going to get away with cutting women's sports.

They are not cutting a men's sport to add a women's sport you silly rabbit. But of course that doesn't support the narrative that women's sports are the enemy of raslin' and men's baseball. This is about $$$ cost and not about balancing opportunities or anything like that.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Excellent news that Ark-Little Rock is adding a D-I program.

However, I think it's time to really make an effort to get a P5 school to add wrestling. I posted a graphic once showing high school participation and D-I wrestling programs in each state. Florida/Georgia/South Carolina and Texas/Louisiana/Arkansas are good places to start - Florida, Florida State, Miami, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Clemson, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, LSU, Arkansas. That's 14 programs, some with big budgets, that should be appealed to in order to consider starting a wrestling program. Just getting 1 to bite would be a major step forward for the sport. Start with a Big 12 or an ACC school, since both conferences have established programs in member schools.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Little Rock going to ACC I think Baldwin said.

Best place to start P5 wrestling is the Kansas schools. My son wrestled JH national duals a few years ago and they had some solid kids and decent participation.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
They are not cutting a men's sport to add a women's sport you silly rabbit. But of course that doesn't support the narrative that women's sports are the enemy of raslin' and men's baseball. This is about $$$ cost and not about balancing opportunities or anything like that.

I wasn't clear. I don't think they should be cutting women's sports and they're going to get sued. My attempt at sarcasm was poor.

With the law as written, there is no way they're going to be able to cut two and two unless their overall student body is overwhelmingly male. (Its not. 59% Female, 41% male)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I wasn't clear. I don't think they should be cutting women's sports and they're going to get sued. My attempt at sarcasm was poor.

With the law as written, there is no way they're going to be able to cut two and two unless their overall student body is overwhelmingly male. (Its not. 59% Female, 41% male)
I thought it came down to participation slots and scholarships not number of sports...

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I thought it came down to participation slots and scholarships not number of sports...

My understanding is that athletic scholarships are to be given out at the same ratio as the student body. So if you have a 59% female student body then 59% of your athletic scholarships are supposed to be given to female athletes. So, because football exists, cutting female sports does not hold up in court because you're violating Title IX by getting further away from giving 59% of your scholarships to female athletes.

Using UNI as an example because I am most familiar with it, they are looking at adding low cost women's sports (Bowling, Rowing, Beach Volleyball) just to get the scholarships on the books so that they can spend more money on football. Right now UNI gives 59 scholarships in football (which can be split among 85 players) and they want to go to the full 63 allowed in FCS but they can't do that until they add the same number of women's scholarships plus one to comply with Title IX.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My understanding is that athletic scholarships are to be given out at the same ratio as the student body. So if you have a 59% female student body then 59% of your athletic scholarships are supposed to be given to female athletes. So, because football exists, cutting female sports does not hold up in court because you're violating Title IX by getting further away from giving 59% of your scholarships to female athletes.

Using UNI as an example because I am most familiar with it, they are looking at adding low cost women's sports (Bowling, Rowing, Beach Volleyball) just to get the scholarships on the books so that they can spend more money on football. Right now UNI gives 59 scholarships in football (which can be split among 85 players) and they want to go to the full 63 allowed in FCS but they can't do that until they add the same number of women's scholarships plus one to comply with Title IX.
It may not be quite that cut and dried. While they are not currently meeting the proportionality the fact that they are essentially cutting an equal number of scholarships and are cutting over twice as many men's(60) as women's(26) roster spots does seem to be working them toward proportionality in participation. That is what is asked for in the Title IX three part test of participation opportunities. It isn't the same situation as UNI because they are not attempting to add men's participation.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

How much more are those sports at UNI going to cost the tax payers?