Another streaming subscription to buy... Venu

CyJam

Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO
The Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ bundle is the best streaming value out there. An added bonus is never having to use the ESPN+ interface since all ESPN+ content is available through the Hulu interface.
This is news to me, thanks for mentioning it!

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
This is news to me, thanks for mentioning it!
giphy.gif

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I'm just hear to say that when we bitched 15 years ago about wanting to get individual channels ala carte and not being subjected to all the **** the cable companies packaged together, I knew we'd be right back here one day asking that it all be bundled together again. Happened so much faster than I thought though.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I really like YTTV a lot more than Directv and Mediacom Cable. With that said:

YTTV $70
HBO Max $20
Netflix $15
Venu Sports $30 (I'm guessing)

$135/month and you don't get Hulu, Amazon, Peacock, Apple TV, etc

The one saving grace is that they allow you to cancel each month, which I'm sure will soon change.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale

YTTV $70
HBO Max $20
Netflix $15

The one saving grace is that they allow you to cancel each month, which I'm sure will soon change.
It shouldn't, not much start up or turn off cost for streaming services. Only reason would be for them to manipulate their subscriber numbers.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Let's dig these up and bring it all back.

View attachment 129163
My parents had one of these back in the days when the satellite dish would actually move and everything was free, which was pretty amazing for a 11 year old. I believe there were 24 channels on each location. We lived in the country, so this was our only option. Then they started "scrambling" the channels. This was the only time I remember my parents breaking the law. "John" would come to our house and swap out the receivers and suddenly everything was free again :)

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm just hear to say that when we bitched 15 years ago about wanting to get individual channels ala carte and not being subjected to all the **** the cable companies packaged together, I knew we'd be right back here one day asking that it all be bundled together again. Happened so much faster than I thought though.
Not really. You can't just buy ESPN alone. ESPN+ ain't it. I only use TV for sports and they know there's a massive group of people like me so they have never really gone away from it entirely.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

YTTV $70
HBO Max $20
Netflix $15

I have no idea why you'd sub to Venu if you're using an OTT service like Hulu Live or YTTV. Also if it's less than $50 within a year of launching I'll eat my hat

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I have no idea why you'd sub to Venu if you're using an OTT service like Hulu Live or YTTV. Also if it's less than $50 within a year of launching I'll eat my hat
I think many people in this thread don't realize that (as of right now) there will not be content on Venu that won't also be on other platforms that they are likely already paying for.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
Will be interesting to see the price. I've always hated the user interface for ESPN+, so maybe this will improve on that.
Oh my gosh, glad it's not just me.

It's way harder than it should be to find anything that's not one of the top 2 or 3 live events.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Probably the same reason people pay for both ESPN+ along with YTTV? I don't but some people do.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
My parents had one of these back in the days when the satellite dish would actually move and everything was free, which was pretty amazing for a 11 year old. I believe there were 24 channels on each location. We lived in the country, so this was our only option. Then they started "scrambling" the channels. This was the only time I remember my parents breaking the law. "John" would come to our house and swap out the receivers and suddenly everything was free again :)
lol. We didn’t get satellite until Directv came along but we had a “John” who sold cards that gave you every channel for free. Just needed to pay Direct for their most basic package. As a teenager at the time, there is a lot of content out there that I was happy to all of a sudden have unlimited access to if you know what I mean.

Reactions: dmclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

YTTV $70
HBO Max $20
Netflix $15

The price for Venue hasn't been publicized. But the speculation is $40-$50 per month. A Disney exec confirmed that range when asked by media.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
The price for Venue hasn't been publicized. But the speculation is $40-$50 per month. A Disney exec confirmed that range when asked by media.
At this price point, I would consider it. I get YTTV from Sept thru March to cover CFB and CBB. If I could get all the channels I needed from Venu for 40 to 50, that would still be a better than the 73 that YTTV is up to.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
At this price point, I would consider it. I get YTTV from Sept thru March to cover CFB and CBB. If I could get all the channels I needed from Venu for 40 to 50, that would still be a better than the 73 that YTTV is up to.

Agree, its a good deal for people that watch a lot of sports and then rely on Netflix, Prime, etc. for their other TV viewing.

Unfortunately, for Big12 fans, it looks like the $40-$50 package replaces ESPN+. So not so cost effective for people you need a YTTV, Hulu+, Fubo, DTV or cable.

Help Support Us

Become a patron