Anthony Johnson Jr.'s move to safety and how it's changed Iowa State's defense

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
Wrote a bit on Anthony Johnson Jr. and what his play did for Iowa State on Saturday. Interesting piece to watch during games.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Once again Campbell and Heacock don't just talk about adjusting scheme to get the eleven best on the field but they do it. It was a stroke of genius because an offense can't just adjust the play like they do when they see the run stopper safety sub in for the nickle corner. Having a guy who can do both in full time at safety is huge.

It is also huge for Johnson as NFL teams look at him. They love to have guys who can run, hit, tackle, and cover. Being versatile is a huge advantage when trying to make an NFL roster. The last guy proven to being able to play both corner and safety is really a huge safety net for a team.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Anthony's only real knock is that he's not had any INT's which is incredible given how much he's played and how well he covers. Hopefully he gets a few this year.
I get the general sense from watching our defense that defending the pass is job 1, making the tackle is job 1A, and intercepting the ball is nice if it doesn't endanger jobs 1 or 1A.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I found it fascinating that he said that safety was a bit of a weakness last year.

I feel like that’s a combination of A. Isheem Young couldn’t cover, and B. Injuries sapped a lot of Greg Eisworth’s effectiveness. Plus C. Beau Freyler wasn’t quite ready until late in the year. Oh, and maybe D. Something-something Craig McDonald.

So maybe addition by subtraction is a real thing?

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I get the general sense from watching our defense that defending the pass is job 1, making the tackle is job 1A, and intercepting the ball is nice if it doesn't endanger jobs 1 or 1A.
Speaking of 1 and 1A, don't think it's a coincidence that their team leader, shut-down corner, team captain is wearing #1 this year after last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron