Anxiety For A Freshman

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Alright. This is seriously awesome advice did not expect.

One friend swears by Friley, one swears by MWL? Which is better? Not looking to party every night but maybe go to one here and there. Which is closer to GenEds?

Finally (sorry for the multitude of questions), how bad are the community crappers? I mean, I hear they're bad, but what am I getting myself into here?

Friley is maybe a little bit closer to classes, but not by much. Larch is fun, but I currently live here and it's pretty messy. If you're looking for something a little more classy I would do Maple. They have personal showers, and overall the building is a lot more nice. People get down in maple as well. Larch's bathrooms are pretty messed up, but I enjoy living here. If you have any questions you can PM me.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Friley FTW. Best of all the dorms. As Cubs mentioned, people do pee in the showers, so wear flip flops when taking a shower (this ain't home anymore!). Never really had any issue with the Friley bathrooms. The convenience of being close to Welch is a must.

I'm currently peeing in a shower as I post this.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I'm not sure the big deal with being close to Welch if you are a freshman/sophomore which is usually when you live in the dorms. You can't get into the bars anyway (unless they do approve the law change) so it won't really matter. I am not a Greek person but they do have parties and that area is closer to MWL and old RCA. You aren't going to make a bad decision, I lived in old RCA and it was great. Everyone is going to tell you that the place they lived in was the best (well I guess except for Helser?).

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
High School is what should cause anxiety. HS is evil. College is not evil. College is fun. Relax, and enjoy the some of the best years of your life.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'm not sure the big deal with being close to Welch if you are a freshman/sophomore which is usually when you live in the dorms. You can't get into the bars anyway (unless they do approve the law change) so it won't really matter. I am not a Greek person but they do have parties and that area is closer to MWL and old RCA. You aren't going to make a bad decision, I lived in old RCA and it was great. Everyone is going to tell you that the place they lived in was the best (well I guess except for Helser?).

Yeah, personally I would go with old RCA or Friley, but it's partly for the classic look and feel. And Old RCA is much more coed, which can be a plus.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Yeah, personally I would go with old RCA or Friley, but it's partly for the classic look and feel. And Old RCA is much more coed, which can be a plus.

The rooms in old RCA are also a lot cooler (well not temperature-wise), each one is a little different and they're definitely bigger than most of the others on campus.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am WAY too old to add anything here except as it relates to the dorms. Agree with those noting RCA as a great dorm option. I was at Wallace Hall one year and felt institutionalized out there off of campus. The next year they moved my whole house to Birch Hall and the RCA which before than had been all gals and no dudes. As the first guys in the RCA we did a good job behaving (relatively) so they never needed to segregate the RCA again. Felt way more like "college" in the RCA. Cool old style dorms, lots of coeds everywhere and just a short walk to many classes. Even today those things remain relevant.

PS: Change your user name. You'll be in college next year. :smile:

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Wrong. I'll fly the Helser flag. I met a lot of great guys that I still keep in contact with almost 10 years later. Definitely some of my funnest times were had there.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Maple is pretty cool, it's not the most social but it is what you put into it. You'll make friends no matter what. I think it's well worth it for the personal showers and bathrooms, plus a sink in the room is a big plus. The rooms are a little smaller but I don't know what I'd do with more space anyway. And it's really not a big deal to walk to class if you don't mind it, I do every day (everyone thinks I'm weird for it though). Seasons has pretty good food and if you want something else you can walk across the street to Convos and there's always the C-store. So I'd recommend MWL personally.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
I know it's been 15 years since I was there, but is Helser hall still without air conditioner?
I believe so. At least it was when my bro moved out of Elwood in 2011.

I remember the big upgrade the year after I left was a dedicated wireless network. Whoopie! Luckly I was far enough down on the Louden wing so I was able to jack Martin and Eaton wireless.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Giving more love to Helser. Brother and son both lived there. Something about the adversity brings people closer together. Son found a bottle of Jack in his secret cubby hole.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Currently living in larch and it's not the cleanest if that's what you're looking for. One of the elevators breaks down at least once a week. It's fun but can be loud

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Helser here as well... Louden 03-04... perk, the girls in Carpenter
only really annoying thing: People ask you why you are living there

However... I'd go with Friley over Helser. Stay away from suites... the dorm style actually forces you to make friends.