Any DJs out there? I need a laptop this black Friday!

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
I am looking for a laptop that can handle two sound cards and Virtual DJ software well. The laptop I have right now crashes frequently for lack of memory.

What should be my minimum memory size? What brand do I need to go for a laptop?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Can't you just hook an iPod up to some speakers and them just pretend to hit some buttons on a laptop and call it good? Make a couple "wiki wiki" sounds and nobody will know the difference.

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
Can't you just hook an iPod up to some speakers and them just pretend to hit some buttons on a laptop and call it good? Make a couple "wiki wiki" sounds and nobody will know the difference.

You could but that's ******** and you can't call yourself an actual DJ if you did that.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
You could but that's ******** and you can't call yourself an actual DJ if you did that.

Oh, no, you certainly can call yourself an actual DJ if you do that. If you have a lot of self-confidence, you can probably pull it off too.

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
What are you using now? Are you doing videos or just audio files?

I'm not particularly experienced with virtual DJ, however I would think any reasonably modern computer should have enough horsepower to do about whatever you want from an audio standpoint. You may well served to examine what all extraneous programs are running in the background before you go out and buy a new computer. That said, if you want to get serious I would highly recommend having a dedicated laptop for DJing.

Also, what are you using for a sound card? Are you using something that supports ASIO, and are you using that driver? ASIO made a huge difference in reliability for us. Basically gives the software a direct path to the output device--bypassing computer OS--as I understand it. We used to use Echo Indigo DJ sound cards--switched to Numark DJIO a couple years ago. The Echo stuff is nicer than the Numark--and VERY reliable when used with ASIO driver. If I just had one system I probably would have bought the newer echo sound cards, but didn't want to be locked into a specific card slot form factor (last I knew they didn't offer anything USB). That said, the DJIOs are fairly inexpensive and have been reliable... the Echo have much stronger output drivers, though.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I'm still waiting for an answer from DJ Jazzy Jeff
DJ+Jazzy+Jeff++The+Fresh+Prince.jpg