Any Mazdaspeed 3 owners?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The thing is, if you're really scared off of the Detroit automakers, then I'd stay away from Mazda as it's really only a Japanese Ford nowadays. Mazda 3 = Ford Focus and Mazda 6 = Ford Fusion, only in different skins. It is exactly the same platform.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yeah GM only contributed a minor thing like the drivetrain. Really who cares about that. I don't even care if my care has one.

At this point GM is a global company. If the Aussies make a great platform and America makes a great drivetrain then it only makes GM better.

GM is in trouble because of the retired workers and unions. Not because of the cars they are currently making.

This is very true. I'm not sure I'd trust much of anything that comes from the Crysler Corp anymore (well, maybe except for the minivans), but anything from GM or Ford I'd certainly compare with anything from Honda or Nissan.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
The thing is, if you're really scared off of the Detroit automakers, then I'd stay away from Mazda as it's really only a Japanese Ford nowadays. Mazda 3 = Ford Focus and Mazda 6 = Ford Fusion, only in different skins. It is exactly the same platform.

I'm pretty sure the Mazdas are based off the Ford European spec which are incredibly different cars. The Euro spec focus and mondeo (I believe that's what the fusion is called over there) are very good cars I believe. Same skin, different chassis IIRC.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I'm pretty sure the Mazdas are based off the Ford European spec which are incredibly different cars. The Euro spec focus and mondeo (I believe that's what the fusion is called over there) are very good cars I believe. Same skin, different chassis IIRC.

This is correct. Although in 2010, Ford will finally bring the Euro chassis to the Focus.

I think the Big 3 DO make great cars, they just generally don't make them in the US.

Sit in a new Malibu and then sit in a new Camry, and tell me which one you'd rather drive, if you took the name off the steering wheel.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Put 50K miles on each and it will be easy to tell.

I don't think anyone outside of GM has put 50k on a new Malibu. It's pretty odd to see that they are actually pretty cool looking. Nothing but good reviews.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron