Any Runners Out There?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Thought this thread was about Rumrunnners. My bad.

Running in the winter is a severe challenge. You might end up running in the roadway too far and you might be splashed with passign car junk.

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
They buy Shrimpin boats and invest in apple computers in the early years of there life.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Holy crap 22 years not missing a day? I try not to miss a day all summer, but then again, I leave sundays as my rest day, so I do not run every day.

I cannot fathom that, but I wish I had the time to do it, running is my one thing I just love. It is so nice to go outside on a cool morning and just relax.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Holy crap 22 years not missing a day? I try not to miss a day all summer, but then again, I leave sundays as my rest day, so I do not run every day.

I cannot fathom that, but I wish I had the time to do it, running is my one thing I just love. It is so nice to go outside on a cool morning and just relax.

Do you run in the winter? I wish I did but it is just too dangerous sometimes...like now! I don't know if you could run in the streets of Cedar Rapids without breaking an ankle!

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I run 4 times a week and I hate it. I have been doing it for a long time. It never get's better for me. I still do it though.

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
running is one of the most obsessive compulsive fitness activities there are...it's quite addictive (need an example? go to the local fitness club and see the token bleached blonde fake baked chic bordering anorexia pounding the treadmill night in and night out like there is no tomorrow). I used to run a lot and was borderline OCD with it myself when I was in my mid 20s. I do it occassionally now but stay fit by other means. I ran the Twin Cities marathon once and this guy running next to me was telling me how it was his 77th marathon. Yikes. That sorta made me realize that I didn't want to just be a runner for means of fitness for the rest of my life.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Back in 2000 I ran a ton of races (not fast) while training for Grandma's marathon. I enjoyed them all but after running a marathon I decided to never do one again. The training takes too much time. Six months after the marathon I gained 20lbs and have never lost the weight. I now run about 3 times a week but only on my treadmill.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Hats off to those runners who run on ice outdoors in the winter. You have to be very athletic.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
just got done running along the Iowa/Minnesota border (literally!) Once you have the proper gear to stay warm, running in the cold is really invigorating. Plus, if you can run on gravel roads, the ice never seems as slick or treacherous as in town, and traffic isn't an issue. I find running is one thing that always mellows me out, and a great way to relieve some stress.

JDB41

Dec 9, 2007
Ames, IA
Running in the winter isn't all bad once you get past the burning lungs:yes: I actually like it better because I sweat so much!

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I once had a goal of running a marathon in every state. I got to twelve but foot and knee trouble has slowed me so for right now I'm not able to do that much distance. I hope after some lesser distances for awhile I can resume long distance with less pain.
The funniest thing I ever heard was at Las Vegas. At the 25 mile mark this guy running alongside me told me he couldn't wait for the finish...he needed a cigarette that bad. Sure enough, at the finish his wife was waiting with a pack and he lit up. And the guy pulled away from me at the end too!!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Fortunately, I live in a warm climate...the only thing that will stop me from getting 3 or 4 miles in 5-7 times per week is heavy rains. I do not feel as good on the days that I do not run as on the days that I do run (both mentally and physically)...I can see why you can get addicted to it. I am not into the longer distances...I went 10 miles one day and was awfully sore at the joints the next couple of days.