Anyone ever lived in Altoona?

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I live there now, and we love it.

* Great schools
* Excellent neighborhoods, particularly on the south and east sides of town
* Close to everything, but still many shops, stores, entertainment right in town

Drawbacks
* It's hell getting out of town to the north - it's grown so fast recently, the two lane street to I80 gets so congested.
* Lots of new apartments - not sure what that's going to bring yet since many are still in the construction phase

Not much I find negative about the town. I have lived a lot of places over my lifetime, and this is easily one of the best.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I haven't, but grew up in PHill and now live in Runnells, so know a far amount of folks who have lived or currently do live in Altoona. As SerenityNow states, really good schools and you can get pretty much anything you need in Altoona. Also, it is a very tight knit community. If you have kids, it's really nice because everything has a connection to SEP HS, starting in 3rd grade. A lot of good people are involved, which is great. While I grew up in PHill, it was it's own entity back then, mostly affiliated with Des Moines schools. Was fine for me, but I do wish there was more parental involvement, and more of a relationship with the HS as kids grew up.

As far as drawbacks, it depends on what you don't like, but I concur the north side of town can be tough to get around. Some don't like (none of which bother me):

- Prairie Meadows
- A fair jaunt from any kind of shopping mall
- Somewhat of a congested commute into downtown, depending on where in Altoona you are

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
Altoona is a great place to live. Has almost everything you need yet still has the feel of a smaller community. New movie theater is being built now and a mall is going to be built near Bass Pro. Rumor has been that a Costco may be built by Bass Pro in the future but we can only hope at this point.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
But do they have a Pizza Ranch???

Yes. Yes they do.

I worked for a mowing crew out of Ames years ago that mowed all the city property in Altoona. Ate a lot of hungover Friday lunches at the Altoona Pizza Ranch.

In 2007-2008 I knew every inch of that town, but haven't really been back much since. Always seemed like a nice place, with a great park system and well-connected bike loops.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
grew up in P Hill and moved to Altoona after I graduated college. I actually sold my townhouse at the end of last year and am currently building a new house in Altoona. Like others have stated it has just about anything you need with more coming (theater, mall, 2 breweries :smile:) . I like that there is some separation from the high traffic areas (target/walmart, adventureland, bass pro, prarire meadows) and the more residential areas.

If you haven't looked through it the city has put together a nice comprehensive plan. They are clearly focused on becoming the major suburb on the east side of Des Moines.

Also my wife is a fan of the easy access to Ankeny. You can get there pretty easily.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
Its especially sweet if you have summer teeth & drive a pickup... The schools are good? The high school looks pretty sweet, how are their test scores? Their sports are good (rassling is bad ***) but the kids drive to school on a highway, you cant really walk to school. Its redneck fo shizzle.

You forgot close to the fair. Its the country club version of East High skool

Signed, Roosevelt Grad who's kids when to Johnston.....

I wont touch on student who off themselves... That is sad and has hit SEP & Johnston too. I'm sure there were at least 2 while I attended Roosevelt.

When East MLK connects to Hwy 65 in a year or two that will be very convenient. Hopefully not too convenient for the eastsiders to roll west

Last edited:

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
If so what were the benefits/drawbacks?

The advantages are almost to numerous to mention them all, but here are a few:

-easy, fast access to Jack Trice Stadium and the ISU campus
-nice, close drive to downtown, sun at your back coming and going
-low city taxes
-Prairie Meadows, Adventureland, etc help pay for city services
-New library, fire station, water park, Altoona Campus, medical clinic, banks galore
-well staffed police department partially paid for by Prairie Meadows
-small town feel with personal attention from the city staff
-great parks department and parks, bikepaths
-fitness and healthy lifestyle oriented community
-clean and well cared for
-high tech- Century Link is putting in fiber optic to residences for ultra high speed internet
-plentiful jobs
-more bang for your buck on residential housing costs
-easy access to Interstates and Highway 65 bypass
-lowest gas prices in the central Iowa area
-others have mentioned the education system (SE Polk academics and athletics, new schools)
-lots of young families but with a nice mixture of age groups
-positive, forward looking, bright mayor and city council people and city staff
-Lots of Iowa State presence (personalized plates, gear, flags, fans, etc.)
-I could add more, but you get the idea!

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Its especially sweet if you have summer teeth & drive a pickup... The schools are good? The high school looks pretty sweet, how are their test scores? Their sports are good (rassling is bad ***) but the kids drive to school on a highway, you cant really walk to school. Its redneck fo shizzle.

I wont touch on student who off themselves... That is sad and has hit SEP & Johnston too. I'm sure there were at least 2 while I attended Roosevelt.

When East MLK connects to Hwy 5 in a year or two that will be very convenient. Hopefully not too convenient for the eastsiders to roll west

My son is a Roosevelt grad also. We lived in the Waterbury area. However, unlike you, he learned how to spell, write and use proper grammar. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute of having him going to SE Polk HS. Altoona/Pleasant Hill is not "east sider", if that's what you are trying to imply. It's a whole new area that started over and got a huge boost when the Highway 65 bypass was completed. It looks a lot like West Des Moines/Ankeny/Waukee, etc.

Facebook Data Center, BassPro, Johnny's, Holiday Inn, WalMart, Hy-Vee, etc., etc have all thrown their hat in the ring and joined the community.

Last edited:

AltoonaFish

Aug 24, 2014
I bought a house a year ago hear. Nice neighborhoods. Still seems like a small town even though it is growing. Only drawback I have noticed is the school colors are black and gold.

WheelsforClones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2008
Van Meter, IA
I live just on the other side of the south bypass from Altoona. It is a Des Moines address, so you get a 5 year tax abatement the house for property taxes and also get the benefits of being 5 minutes from the little shopping area in Altoona. It is an option to look at if you are to buy new. It is going to save us close to $20K in taxes.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010

When East MLK connects to Hwy 65 in a year or two that will be very convenient. Hopefully not too convenient for the eastsiders to roll west

You may need to take a break from Cyclone Fanatic for awhile.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
My son is a Roosevelt grad also. We lived in the Waterbury area. However, unlike you, he learned how to spell, write and use proper grammar. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute of having him going to SE Polk HS. Altoona/Pleasant Hill is not "east sider", if that's what you are trying to imply. It's a whole new area that started over and got a huge boost when the Highway 65 bypass was completed. It looks a lot like West Des Moines/Ankeny/Waukee, etc.

You must like how close Walmart is to Waterbury....

Anyway. If my fellow Clone wants to go live there, I wish him the best, he could do worse.... Bondo for instance.. haha

There really isnt much to talk about on here so lets rap about our surrounding communities

Facebook Data Center, BassPro, Johnny's, Holiday Inn, WalMart, Hy-Vee, etc., etc have all thrown their hat in the ring and joined the community.

Its eastside for sure. I'm sure you spend lots of time over there. Yes, it has decent shopping but how is it connected to Des Moines? Its the eastsiders Waukee

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Its eastside for sure. I'm sure you spend lots of time over there. Yes, it has decent shopping but how is it connected to Des Moines? Its the eastsiders Waukee

I live in Altoona and have since 2002. Lived in Des Moines from 1979-2002. The "eastside" of Des Moines ends at about E. 42nd St. in DM. However, if you want to extend the "eastside" by keeping on going east, then you'll ultimately end up including West Des Moines in the "eastside" (you'll have to think about that a bit, looking at a globe might help).

How's it connected to Des Moines, you ask. Look at a map, Hubbell Avenue connects Altoona to downtown Des Moines, straight shot and even on a diagonal.

Lots of great Cyclone fans over here! Come on over and visit so you can see it for yourself.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
We lived there for 5 years and loved it. Small town feel with the extras of a big town. The only real drawback was at that time there wasn't much nightlife.

Help Support Us

Become a patron