Anyone going to Greensboro?

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
Who is planning a trip to Greensboro? If the game is at a reasonable time, I'm going and taking my 8-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son (leaving the 3-year-old at home with mom). I live in Richmond, VA so it's only a 3-hour drive, but a super-late game wouldn't be great for my kids that are used to going to bed at 9.

FWIW, I've been a huge ISU football and MBB fan since I was a student in the early 2000s. I attended 1 WBB game as a student and have sort of followed the team over the years, but it was never appointment TV for me - until last year, when the men weren't fun to watch anymore. I started watching every women's game and the kids starting watching with me. I've gotten more and more into it, and so have they. This year, I watched just about every men's AND women's game, and the kids are always by my side if it's before their bedtime. Both of them have actually told me that they prefer watching the women now!

I took my oldest with me to the men's preseason tournament in Myrtle Beach a few years ago, but she was 4 and doesn't remember much. I took both of them to the Cheez-It Bowl this year for their first football experience, and I'd love to make this their first WBB experience. So, I'm crossing my fingers for a decent tip-off time (anyone know when it will be announced?). I'd love to see some more Cyclones while we're there!

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Here is an odd one. My son is swimming down there starting next weekend for 8 days. My wife and son might go to a game while there.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Who is planning a trip to Greensboro? If the game is at a reasonable time, I'm going and taking my 8-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son (leaving the 3-year-old at home with mom). I live in Richmond, VA so it's only a 3-hour drive, but a super-late game wouldn't be great for my kids that are used to going to bed at 9.

FWIW, I've been a huge ISU football and MBB fan since I was a student in the early 2000s. I attended 1 WBB game as a student and have sort of followed the team over the years, but it was never appointment TV for me - until last year, when the men weren't fun to watch anymore. I started watching every women's game and the kids starting watching with me. I've gotten more and more into it, and so have they. This year, I watched just about every men's AND women's game, and the kids are always by my side if it's before their bedtime. Both of them have actually told me that they prefer watching the women now!

I took my oldest with me to the men's preseason tournament in Myrtle Beach a few years ago, but she was 4 and doesn't remember much. I took both of them to the Cheez-It Bowl this year for their first football experience, and I'd love to make this their first WBB experience. So, I'm crossing my fingers for a decent tip-off time (anyone know when it will be announced?). I'd love to see some more Cyclones while we're there!

I was at that Myrtle Beach tourney fun time.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Here is an odd one. My son is swimming down there starting next weekend for 8 days. My wife and son might go to a game while there.

Not trying to pry too much but like a swim camp or tournament type situation?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
My wife and I talked about it. If we went we were there for both rounds. I’ve got an important family commitment Monday that I couldn’t get back for. Major bummer.

So, we are having a viewing party. Next best thing.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
YMCA nationals. He swam at us nationals and this is more of a fun meet. Thank you for asking.

Reactions: NWICY

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
If you are willing to cash flow the flights and rooms please dm me. JK JK JK>

• Funny

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
Speaking of Greensboro, if we beat Creighton who do we want to play? One-seed South Carolina or North Carolina in their home state? Guess it isn’t far of a drive for South Carolina either.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
WOW that sounds pretty impressive to me Congrats to him!
Thank you. It is 100% him. He is the one that gets up at 5 am and goes and practices. Then lifts at lunch...then swims again at 430 pm. It is a lifestyle. One we support...as anything else is parent suicide.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Speaking of Greensboro, if we beat Creighton who do we want to play? One-seed South Carolina or North Carolina in their home state? Guess it isn’t far of a drive for South Carolina either.
Duh. My son the swimmer and his friends. LOL.

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
Update:
The tip-off time of 9:30 made it a tougher decision, but we're going - bought tickets this morning. The kids are excited and ready to power through the late night. My wife is only okay with it because she's not going to be there and I'll have to deal with any consequences the next day!

WSCyclone

Mar 22, 2022
I am from the Greensboro area but will not be able to make the game Friday night due to the late night and having an infant. Hoping the team can win so I can attend on Sunday. If anyone needs any recommendations on things to do or places to eat, let me know and I can share my thoughts.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I very much wanted to go, but my three possibilities all dried up for various reasons (mostly expense and time off from work). My supervisor said I can still have the time to go if something changes last minute. This would be the first women's sweet 16 game I will not be at unless things change. I'd drive by myself if fuel wasn't so expensive. Would still consider driving with two or three others to share gas costs/driving time. Google shows it to be a 16 hour drive straight through - not terrible, really. Flights just weren't working for me/the people I had intended to go with. If anyone has ideas or interest in leaving from central Iowa, drop me a DM.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Update:
The tip-off time of 9:30 made it a tougher decision, but we're going - bought tickets this morning. The kids are excited and ready to power through the late night. My wife is only okay with it because she's not going to be there and I'll have to deal with any consequences the next day!

These opportunities don't come around often. Glad you are going and cheer loud for fans like me having to watch from afar.

Reactions: Cycsk

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

Are you also a fan of the Spiders???? Lol

That is great that you are giving your kids the opportunity to watch the Cyclones "in person". Cheer loudly!!

Might be possible for your kids to "meet" our WBB players after the game. The gals are usually pretty accommodating to kids, but who knows in Greensboro?

Pep rally would be great down there!

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
Are you also a fan of the Spiders???? Lol

That is great that you are giving your kids the opportunity to watch the Cyclones "in person". Cheer loudly!!

Might be possible for your kids to "meet" our WBB players after the game. The gals are usually pretty accommodating to kids, but who knows in Greensboro?

Pep rally would be great down there!
I AM a fan of the Spiders actually. You can look at my recent post history for more detail, but I did my MBA at Richmond and follow them as my #2 team. I live 10 minutes from the campus. Last week was amazing for me.

My 6-year-old in particular would LOVE to "meet" the players. He knows just about all of them by name at this point! We're going to be pretty close to the court, behind the basket, so we'll see how it goes.

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
I am from the Greensboro area but will not be able to make the game Friday night due to the late night and having an infant. Hoping the team can win so I can attend on Sunday. If anyone needs any recommendations on things to do or places to eat, let me know and I can share my thoughts.
I would be interested in suggestions for what to do with an 8-year-old girl and 6-year-old boy on Saturday and Sunday (pre-game). I haven't done any research on activities yet, but I did just book a hotel near the Four Seasons Town Centre.

If you have any "must-try" restaurant suggestions, I'm happy to hear those too!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Does anybody know what the team hotel is?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron