Anyone know if we are looking at Juco shooters for next year?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Maybe we should play Eli King more?

tenor.gif
Eli who?

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Because all those guys are significantly worse than whats out there now and are usually at that level for a reason
Is the non academic qualifier no longer a thing? Used to be some would get the two year degree to qualify for D1

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Maybe we should recruit one of these Grinnell players
Emmaus Bible College never has been able to defend the trey.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
King might be enough to kick the offense up a notch when he’s eligible next week. He more than likely won’t average 15 at this level, but I think he’s our best option at the 4 and will compliment Shun well. Might not unseat Jaz right away, if he does, but I think he’s going to make the offense better and help free up the other four on the floor.

Green getting a last minute two way deal was a major blow to this years team, and Williams getting hurt before the season also didn’t help.

The future is pretty dang bright with next years incoming class, and that’s not counting any transfers we will likely add.

Reactions: Cyclad and CyCloned

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
As a Cyclone fan, it's tough to accept Mad Fran is a VERY GOOD offensive coach. Iowa is not the team to double team the post or trap on the perimeter. They have solid passers and great player/ball movement. They got open shots and made them!

IMO ISU's defensive style is still tough for most teams. But I wish there were times, like last night, where we play straight up man. Avoid scrambling and leaving open shooters.

Also have a lot of hope that Tre King will be a big addition to our half court offense.
I think a lot of the issue with Iowa was that ISU couldn't press them, because they couldn't make a shot to set up the press. Iowa came out red hot, but ISU missed a lot of easy shots to create a situation where they were not able to set up their defense. The ISU offense is bad, no doubt about that. The guard that got injured before the season started might have helped some, and hopefully Tre King will provide some sold wing play.

Reactions: Ctrans

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Whoa whoa whoa....nice shooting tex.

Everyone needs to back way off on what the expect next year from Mikan. this dudes a freshmen, the big 12 is going to scout him and devour him like it does everyone. He will be a great player but everyone needs to settle down.

We can't depend on a freshmen to come into the big 12, fix all our shouting problems, and average 15 a game. How many freshmen in isu history ever do that? Not many.
How many freshman at ISU have been top-40 ranked shooters? I can only think of Thomas. But Milan has way more all around scoring ability than Matt did as a recruit

Ctrans

Feb 3, 2017
As a Cyclone fan, it's tough to accept Mad Fran is a VERY GOOD offensive coach. Iowa is not the team to double team the post or trap on the perimeter. They have solid passers and great player/ball movement. They got open shots and made them!

IMO ISU's defensive style is still tough for most teams. But I wish there were times, like last night, where we play straight up man. Avoid scrambling and leaving open shooters.

Also have a lot of hope that Tre King will be a big addition to our half court offense.
Iowa's guard play is much better this year than last years team. Much better!

• Optimistic
Reactions: CyPunch

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
They had one lined up this year, and then the Bucks offered him a contract.

The problem of getting a shooter is how much can they be paid. The kid Creighton got was given like 250 or 300K... Its not as easy as it once was. Hell if we could get find a way to get JBo another year I would take him.

That said this team currently has a higher offensive efficiency by around 50 points vs where last years team finished, but still have to go through Big 12 play.
This is why you should sleep on hit before you hit "post"!

• Funny
Reactions: NENick

MTCyclone43

Feb 22, 2016
He hasn't necessarily regressed. It is just that teams have scouted him and learned that he can't go to his left. They overplay him to the right and take away the floater. Not sure if he can come up with a counter to that or not.
In addition, he seems to be missing plenty of "bunnies" since the competition level has increased.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
my god just get anyone who can score
Agree. It’s not like we recruited players we expected to come in and be even competent 3 point shooters who didn’t live up to expectations . We knew exactly what we were getting from that standpoint.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In addition, he seems to be missing plenty of "bunnies" since the competition level has increased.

Doesn't seem to matter what the competition is; this team hates shots at the bucket.

As bad as things were the other night, and as out of their mind Iowa was, if ISU has normal urgency or is remotely careful with the ball they may at least have a chance.

In some ways if Iowa fans think they're 'back' they better pay attention to Iowa still giving up that many points to an already bad ISU offense that was only worse, and not scoring more against a poor defensive effort.

• Agree
Reactions: MTCyclone43

Oldclonee

Apr 24, 2022
When was the last time someone didn't qualify for grades? The juco ranks should be growing thinner talentwise, as more and more players are able to meet scholastic levels in D1.........

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Doesn't seem to matter what the competition is; this team hates shots at the bucket.

As bad as things were the other night, and as out of their mind Iowa was, if ISU has normal urgency or is remotely careful with the ball they may at least have a chance.
It sure seemed that way against Iowa. And it only got worse when they played scared and tentative to shoot. I'm sure they were told to try to get it inside, which was often well defended. They were tentative there also, and telegraphing what they were trying to do.

I don't know how many times I said to the screen, while watching, "shoot it", or "shoot that". They'd pass it up, trying to get some intricate pass inside or some other 'perfect' shot. It never happened.

They can't be afraid to shoot within the flow of the game. Like you said, normal urgency, and work the midrange more. Limit the 3's from your poor shooting guards if they are missing their first 2- 3 attempts.

The next game should be a lot better. Hopefully the next game against good competition will be also.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Can we get a couple of those guys from Grinnel? All they do is chuck up threes and they know how to run up the score

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
There's a reason P6 teams dont recruit JUCOs anymore
A good player can be found anywhere and a lot of Juco players just need to get grades in order! I’d take another Hogue every day of the week!

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
A good player can be found anywhere and a lot of Juco players just need to get grades in order! I’d take another Hogue every day of the week!
Those 2 mentioned from Indian Hills make some sense! 1 from Milwaukee and 1 from Chicago where we recruit pretty well!