Anyone know of a way to split an app like roku to two tvs?

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
Have an Insignia tv loaded with the roku app. I also have an hdmi cable splitter that I run from my 55 in LG to my smaller Insignia for sporting events. Problem is the LG is older and can't load Cyclones.tv. I'd like to split the feed from the smaller Insignia to the larger LG, but not sure if it is possible since there is no real "input". Doubt it's possible, especially cheaply, but I figured the guys on CF would know.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Have an Insignia tv loaded with the roku app. I also have an hdmi cable splitter that I run from my 55 in LG to my smaller Insignia for sporting events. Problem is the LG is older and can't load Cyclones.tv. I'd like to split the feed from the smaller Insignia to the larger LG, but not sure if it is possible since there is no real "input". Doubt it's possible, especially cheaply, but I figured the guys on CF would know.

So are you saying your LG only has 1 HDMI input? It sounds like you could benefit from a matrix-HDMI switcher. You can usually find them on Monoprice for around $100. They are usually 2-4 inputs with 2 independent outputs. You would wire the Roku to the matrix switch and then could route it to either TV or both.

Attempting anything else could get overly complicated with splitters and in-line switchers and you could run the risk of losing your content entirely due to the various content protection protocols that are involved with HDMI cables.

Edit: Here's one I found for $50. With your setup you could have Roku, and three other sources (like cable/satellite box, game console, and blu-ray player) and be able to switch between the TVs. Warning: read future reviews before buying. I've heard that the video can drop out for a few seconds when switching between inputs. http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/pro...categoryid=10113&subcategoryid=1011310&cpncd=

Last edited:

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
The LG has 3 inputs I believe. The problem is I don't have an actual Roku, it's just an app, so I'm not sure how I would split it.

The tv on the right has the Roku app. I have an hdmi splitter coming from the tv on left to the one on the right. Im just not sure how to do it with the Roku

Attachments

• IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    330.3 KB · Views: 7

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The LG has 3 inputs I believe. The problem is I don't have an actual Roku, it's just an app, so I'm not sure how I would split it.

The tv on the right has the Roku app. I have an hdmi splitter coming from the tv on left to the one on the right. Im just not sure how to do it with the Roku

Reverse the setup and see if it works? Your TV on the right would need to support HDMI out and sometimes they do allow it but block all the "smart tv" apps from it.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Roku to TV Tuner within a computer, stream content to the mini-computers that feed your separate TVs. All it takes is money and time.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't think you guys are getting it. He has the Roku APP on his Insignia TV. Not a physical Roku

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Without tearing the TV apart, I don't believe there is any way to do what you're describing. The built-in apps do not have a video output.

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
I don't think you guys are getting it. He has the Roku APP on his Insignia TV. Not a physical Roku
Exactly. What they suggested may work but it's WAY over my head.

Without tearing the TV apart, I don't believe there is any way to do what you're describing. The built-in apps do not have a video output.
That is what I assumed. Thanks. At least I have it on one tv!

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I know you already have the app and probably aren't looking to drop more cash, but it's worth noting a Roku 3 can be had for $50 if you find one on special (they're about $90 full price). If you had that, then you could snag an HDMI splitter for about $25. If you plan on doing more streaming, that's an option and you could use it on any HDMI TV you wanted.

The Cyclones.TV channel on a Roku box has worked perfectly for me the first two games. Beats the hell out of Chromecast.