Apple Airtag

8thfloor

Aug 3, 2021
We bought a new to us vehicle one week ago. Tonight when I pulled into our driveway I had an alert pop up on my Motorola phone that said there was a tracking device nearby. I clicked on it and it said there was an apple airtag near me. I hit a button to play/connect to it and I can hear it beeping in the car! The airtag seems to be on the interior passenger side somewhere near the center portion by where your lower left leg would be.

Any ideas or do you want to take bets on what and why it is there?

I did have the police come over and they opened up a case number for me. He was not able to find it either but we are both thinking the same area for its location. I didn't want to start tearing apart the interior and not being able to put it back together. He did ask if I had a crazy ex-wife/lover or if someone has a vendetta against me. I let him know I'm a pretty boring guy...
TIL Motorola still makes phones.

charlie_B

Mar 21, 2017
And that a non Apple device can see an AirTag...
Apple agreed to add it in when they were being used for stalking. I think 1 day around, an air tag will alert any smartphone now. Not exactly sure about the timing aspect but close to that.

• Informative
Reactions: wxman1

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
The beeps are coming from inside the car!

That's a reference to the original Scream movie 20 years ago for you young snappers.

This will always be a bud ice reference to me.

bewarepenguins.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: CloneFanInKC

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Story solved. Dealership could not get to it so I went to a specialty shop. We pulled up the rug/carpet on the passenger side. Still could not see but it was louder. There is another layer under that that looks like aluminum foil (sorry I am not a car guy) we dug around in that and found it.

I dropped it at the police station, turns out the previous owner had some mental health issues and run ins with the law. His mom had a mechanic put the air tag in the car without him knowing so she could track him and make sure he wasn't getting too crazy.

Pretty exciting stuff in this boring guys life.