Are we a tournament team?

• Yes

Votes: 111 89.5%
  • No - NIT baby!

Votes: 13 10.5%

• Total voters

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Drake plays in the Missouri Valley. It's not what it used to be. Sorry. Drake is a nice story, but their competition level is a joke. Iowa State would destroy them.
Competition has nothing to do about it. They have good players who are well coached. Tucker, Brodie and Penn win their position (IMO) and would make ISU better if they wore cardinal and gold instead of blue and white.

They would almost certainly hang with Iowa State. For example, they beat Miss. State (19-10) from the SEC which is going to be a Tournament Team. They didn't have a competitive disadvantage in that game.

Last edited:

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
West Virginia will eat us alive Monday. The only way we win another game is if we get into the tourney as a 10 type seed and get a mid-major like VCU or Florida Atlantic. This offense has been broken for a month now.
Maybe. But I remember a very similar scenario last season about this time.

WVU is coming off a game at KU that they put everything they had into winning, and came up short. Now they have to play on the road again after one day rest. They're actually in a much more must-win situation than Iowa St. But they also have a game next weekend at home against KSt., and they'll likely need one of the 2 to get into the tournament.

Reactions: dahliaclone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Competition has nothing to do about it. They have good players who are well coached. Tucker, Brodie and Penn win their position (IMO) and would make ISU better if they wore cardinal and gold instead of blue and white.

They would almost certainly hang with Iowa State. For example, they beat Miss. State (19-10) from the SEC which is going to be a Tournament Team. They didn't have a competitive disadvantage in that game.
Miss St is firmly on the bubble. Anyone saying they're in isn't paying attention to metrics.

Reactions: dahliaclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Miss St is firmly on the bubble. Anyone saying they're in isn't paying attention to metrics.
I'm sure their win yesterday over Texas A&M did them some good. Point is that Drake is capable of playing with a team like Miss. State or Iowa State. They have good players who are well coached. If they make the NCAA Tournament as their current projected 12 seed, they will be a tough First Round out.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm sure their win yesterday over Texas A&M did them some good. Point is that Drake is capable of playing with a team like Miss. State or Iowa State. They have good players who are well coached. If they make the NCAA Tournament as their current projected 12 seed, they will be a tough First Round out.
Yep don't disagree with you. I like small conference teams and would rather see Drake than Mich St, Penn St, etc.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don’t think we deserve to. That is limping in kind of humiliating
Do you think the same way with football? Say we start out 7-1 and end up 7-5 should we not go to a bowl game?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Yep don't disagree with you. I like small conference teams and would rather see Drake than Mich St, Penn St, etc.

For integrity of tournament selection process, of course I want the best resumes ... if it happens to be a middling p6 team instead of over mids/low-mid with outstanding regular seasons, so be it. (Otherwise, the process would hold no water).

But, as a fan, if it's a coin-flip territory, I'd prefer 11/12/first four slots going to the mid-major & below with stellar seasons. That sort of flies in the face of my first paragraph. There's redundancy with some of the in/out/back in of big conferences on the bubble. I realize that could bump ISU out in some seasons.

It's practicality vs. "tournament spirit idealism."

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
If we lose out NO! I don’t care about NET ranking BS, we don’t deserve it at that

I don’t think we deserve to. That is limping in kind of humiliating
Then don't watch it, if they are embarrassing to you problem solved. They got blown out by 31 in Big 12 tourney last year. It was embarrassing and yet still enjoyed run to sweet 16

Our fans can be really interesting sometimes

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I don't know about that. Tucker, Penn and Wilkins could score at will from behind the arc, and Brodie would be just fine against Jones or Osunniyi. The Bulldogs actually run an offense and are good at it. Drake would be a very tough match-up for ISU.
I think everyone is a tough match up rn.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
If I have to read one more post about how we shouldn't be in the tourney or don't deserve it I might have an aneurysm. We are like top 5 in Quad 1 wins. And have beat multiple 1 and 2 seeds. We're playing poorly right now and it's brutal to watch but we have absolutely earned a spot in the tournament. Go look at the bubble teams and it isn't even close to our resume.