***Arizona State Beauty & The Beast Dual***

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Spoon narrows the gap against Valencia but still loses it 2-4. ISU down 10-19 with three matches left.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
19-7 win for Downey at 184. Cuts ASU's lead to 14-19 but short of Tanner Hall falling on his back a win at HWT is out of the question.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Harrington down 2-3 and gets a TD at the buzzer. The refs don't give it to him but they are reviewing. I think he had it.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
The refs disagree with me and Harrington goes down 2-3 at 197. Arizona State up 14-22 with one match left. Meet is sealed for ASU.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
1-2 loss for Smith against #4 ranked Tanner Hall at HWT. Arizona State wins it 25-14.

Good performances at 125, 133, 157, 174, 184, and HWT
165 gets a pass because of who he was against
141, 149, and 197 were just bad and cost us the meet. 141 and 197 especially.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Not a negative meet for NCAAs, but real bad meet for the program.

I think you have to seriously consider Storr's redshirt at this point. 141 isn't just not gonna score us points at NCAAs, 141 is gonna cost us duals.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
I was at this dual, same teams, a few years ago. I can't believe how the programs have flipped in that time. Wow. I know the recruits are coming, it's a tough spot. But, look at the schedule. This may end up as one of the worst dual seasons ever.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I'm curious what wrestling fans think of this type of meet. I love them. The first one I ever attended was when both Iowa State and Nebraska were in the Top 10 of both sports. It was fantastic. Great performances and big moments happening all the time.

I've talked to gymnasts about it and they like it because it is different and because of the fierce competitiveness that is brought by wrestlers and wrestling fans. All the gymnasts I've asked say that they aren't bothered by the simultaneous wrestling going on because they are used to competing while others are doing so also and announcers are talking about something unrelated to their performance. I imagine it is similar to what wrestlers would say about competing while there are other matches happening on other mats at the same time.

However, I have heard gymnasts say that wrestlers tell them that they don't like wrestling when the gymnast floor routine music is playing because they can't hear their coaches.

What have you heard? Or what do you think about the format? Do you like it? Dislike it? Why?

I love the beauty and the beast event. I can convince my girlfriend to go with and it puts more people in the stands. I probably normally wouldn't go to a gymnastics meet but I do enjoy watching, some of the stuff they can do is really impressive. Its one of my favorite events of the year, although tonight was pretty abysmal. I wouldn't be against all of the duals being joint with gymnastics.

Reactions: jmb1498

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
1-2 loss for Smith against #4 ranked Tanner Hall at HWT. Arizona State wins it 25-14.

Good performances at 125, 133, 157, 174, 184, and HWT
165 gets a pass because of who he was against
141, 149, and 197 were just bad and cost us the meet. 141 and 197 especially.

Honestly, you feel a lot better about tonights performance than I do.

125 & 184 were the only performances I was happy with.

133 was disappointing to me because I felt Hall could have scored any time he wanted. A tech fall in the second period would not have been out of the question if he had pushed the pace at all.

141, 197 unfortunately I agree...really bad.

149, Straw was gassed at the end of the first period. He's a Freshman so hopefully he will learn.

157. Colston needs to beat that kid and I think he can. However I don't consider that a good performance and I have a hard time giving him a pass since the season is half over and he needs wins like this to qualify for the dance.

165. I agree with the pass.

174 Leland was better but still didn't score a take down or anything other than a escape. Hopefully he can continue to improve.

HWT. Q didn't do anything other than get a escape and give up stall calls. I understand Hall is good but he had the whole third period to do something. Q, a senior, looked bigger and faster against the freshman Hall who stayed in better position.

• Agree
Reactions: Scott34

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
141, 149, 197: if we'd won even two of those, we would have won the meet. 141 was also where the momentum changed, 'cause we killed ASU in the first two matches. We've had very little production at 141 since Dante R. disappeared in the early part of last season.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Came home from this dual pretty frustrated. Why are we so poor on top? All but maybe 2 or possibly 3 wrestlers - including Hall - essentially allowed their opponent to stand up almost immediately. Virtually no riding time earned in all but maybe 2 matches. And on the bottom, very little explosion after the whistle.

Came home and watched taped dual between Iowa and Michigan in BTN. Michigan lost pretty bad to Iowa, despite having some pretty good wrestlers, but what impressed me was the effort and aggressiveness in each match, in each period. Reminded me why I love to watch wrestling, why I loved to wrestler back in high school, and how much I am missing watching the Cyclones the last few years.

Gotta love Downie though.

I have no "inside" information but have to think there is a lot of frustration in the wrestling room right now. Or at least there should be. But I will continue to support these kids. You are either a Cyclone, or you are not.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Honestly, you feel a lot better about tonights performance than I do.
157. Colston needs to beat that kid and I think he can. However I don't consider that a good performance and I have a hard time giving him a pass since the season is half over and he needs wins like this to qualify for the dance.

I was okay with Diblasi because Shields is an R12 guy give or take one match and Colston was right there with him. Colston has been right there with multiple guys who have a legit shot to AA, or in the case of Kemerer be a finalist. So it isn't a fluke of just 1-2 matches being close. As soon as he can get that last thing to click for him to starting winning those matches instead of just being in them to the end he's gonna be really good. Since he's a freshman I'm okay with him not having figured that out yet. If he's still doing it as an upperclassman I'd hold it against him.

As far as needing the win for NCAAs. A win here or over the Oklahoma kid would remove any doubt, but I think he's still good as long as he beats the unranked guys on the schedule. Straw, on the other hand, really needed that win at 149.

• Agree
Reactions: HitItHard58

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I was okay with Diblasi because Shields is an R12 guy give or take one match and Colston was right there with him. Colston has been right there with multiple guys who have a legit shot to AA, or in the case of Kemerer be a finalist. So it isn't a fluke of just 1-2 matches being close. As soon as he can get that last thing to click for him to starting winning those matches instead of just being in them to the end he's gonna be really good. Since he's a freshman I'm okay with him not having figured that out yet. If he's still doing it as an upperclassman I'd hold it against him.

As far as needing the win for NCAAs. A win here or over the Oklahoma kid would remove any doubt, but I think he's still good as long as he beats the unranked guys on the schedule. Straw, on the other hand, really needed that win at 149.
I can see your point. I'm just disappointed because they are both freshmen and this was an opportunity for Colston to pick up a quality win. Maybe Shields will surprise me because I didn't have him pegged for a R12 guy. I loved watching Colstons funky style and appreciated his efforts but he seamed to give up his legs a little too easy on his feet. I'm sure they are working on cleaning that up.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I like to watch Colston, but guys are going to scout that Williams roll the 2nd time around. He needs some more offense.

Downey looked good for his first match back. He wanted bonus and really went after it. Not many of the guys have that mentality. His opponent obviously knew to stay away from the upper body ties. Zeke is probably pretty familiar with Pat's style.

Simmons is a big 125. I think he wins a few matches at nationals this year.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
While there are a few exceptions, this team lacks aggression and conditioning. If any opponent is halfway decent at top, we are screwed. We're not great on top but seem to be ok. My frustration remains at the direction of the team. We have no depth and there is no way that in year 8 should that happen. Instead of going forward, we seem to be regressing. I'm sorry but if you think Jackson is still the guy that should be in charge of this team, your greatly mistaken. And I'm tired of hearing about recruits. Recruits dont mean squat when your results are what we have right now. A change needs made and it needs made at the end of the year.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
One point to make. Chase Straw was pretty sick. Puking, etc I was told. I have watched a lot of Chase's matches this year and I told my wife that something is wrong with Chase. Went from controlling the 1st period to not even being able to get his head off the mat.
That is not the effort you get from Chase and I think you will see a completely different effort in the future matches

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
One point to make. Chase Straw was pretty sick. Puking, etc I was told. I have watched a lot of Chase's matches this year and I told my wife that something is wrong with Chase. Went from controlling the 1st period to not even being able to get his head off the mat.
That is not the effort you get from Chase and I think you will see a completely different effort in the future matches

Thanks Buf. I was wondering in that match how it turned so quickly against Straw. This makes a lot more sense than all the explanations I was dreaming up in my mind (isn't that generally the case?)

Reactions: buf87