Article on Lorenzen

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
So do we have any chance at all? Having Lorenzen's daughter jump ship would be an eye opener. Is her father still cozy with the Hawks?

907CY

Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
So do we have any chance at all? Having Lorenzen's daughter jump ship would be an eye opener. Is her father still cozy with the Hawks?

I think we do. She played with Buckley last summer on the All Iowa Attack team in Ames. A one in five chance is better then what we had with Stokes. The "Vanilla Gorilla" is still a big draw at any Hawk outing. But, I think she will decide on which coach fits her best.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I think we have a better chance than it might appear. A lot will depend on how our seasin stacks up against Iowa. My thoughts r it will be between Iowa and ISU. Same as Disterhoff a lot of pressure to stay at home, but a general like and admiration for ISU and Fennellys. Clear that both ISU and Iowa both need a star post. Also clear that ISU is the WBB program in the state. In the end she will probably be a hawk. When Bludder was asked if the rivalry game affected the battle for in state recruits she said no, you either grew up a Hawk or a Cyclone.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
... When Bludder was asked if the rivalry game affected the battle for in state recruits she said no, you either grew up a Hawk or a Cyclone.

That's probably true in many instances. However, there are exceptions in which people have switched colors. Think of Dan Gable. Sometimes it's by necessity, say, if ISU does not have a men's swimming program and Iowa does, and someone wants to stay in state. I assume Gable was just a matter of career opportunity. ISU WBB had Coach Abe a while back, and she played at Iowa for a couple of years. Is anyone aware of switching of in-state "loyalties" by wbb players?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Stacy Frese would be the poster child for WBB.

Yup, yup. She played her freshman year at Iowa, then transferred to ISU and became an All-American here. It's doubtful she would have flourished in Iowa City the way she did in Ames. Angie Lee's system did not fit Stacy's abilities particularly well. Still waiting for her jersey to be hanging from the rafters in Hilton.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Stacy Frese would be the poster child for WBB.
Though she did not play here, she wanted to. Ames High's Trisha Nesbit was not offered by BF, I suppose because he had just loaded up on guards the likes of Williams, Yackley, Rockall, then Schroll and Cole in her class.. While she probably wasn't any better than some of them, at least she stuck with it. Same can't be said of four of those five.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Per her twitter, Lorenzen just verballed Florida. So much for "next summer."

To be fair, the article just said "by the end of next summer."

Last edited:

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Well, while we may or may not have had a chance on her, I'd consider this a real slap in the face to IA. My recollection is that her dad never gave ISU a good look as he was a Hawk from early age; so assume the ties are still strong with IA. From outside looking in, similar to the Stokes situation.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
It will be interesting watch her and other potential impact players who are leaving the state. Some in the past who left came back as transfers.

I would say going to Florida is substantially different than Stokes to UConn or Greenfield to Stanford or Wright to Notre Dame. These are national powers with final four and championship records, and in the case of Stanford and Notre Dame, school credentials that are a big draw.

Florida is good but not great. Sure, there is location. This seems more like a decision not to go somewhere, as opposed to going somewhere.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
It will be interesting watch her and other potential impact players who are leaving the state. Some in the past who left came back as transfers.

I would say going to Florida is substantially different than Stokes to UConn or Greenfield to Stanford or Wright to Notre Dame. These are national powers with final four and championship records, and in the case of Stanford and Notre Dame, school credentials that are a big draw.

Florida is good but not great. Sure, there is location. This seems more like a decision not to go somewhere, as opposed to going somewhere.

I thought this as well. Definitely avoids having to choose between Iowa (family/friend ties) and ISU (friend ties).