Article on MLB's antiquated blackout list

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
"Why would Marquee's leadership not have allowed themselves to stream directly to consumers for a subscription fee?"

This was the comment I was referring to. Does MLB allow the Cubs to take their **** network directly to customers? I don't know.
I’m pretty sure MLB rules don’t allow that - again, purely for the regional protection of the RSNs. Even though Marquee is one of them!

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Along these lines, I picture how much MLB threw away with this rule from 2015-2017 when the Cubs were on fire, including the World Series season. At $100/subscription or whatever, there had to be at least a million Cub fans out there (like me) finding ways to watch games that would have thrown our money at them.
This seems like an absolute no-brainer. Throw open streaming subscriptions nationwide, take away all blackout restrictions from mlb.tv and jack up the price … heck, just leave the team contracts with the RSNs and let them market their subscriptions wherever they please. The amount of increased money flowing to the sport would be insane.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
MLB has always been behind the time regarding broadcasting the games. For years they hated WGN and TBS because they were showing the games on cable for free. What they refuse to understand is that broadcasting the games actually brings in more fans, not less.

We are 4 hours away from St. Louis, the closest MLB team to us, few people are just going to jump in the car after working all day and take in a game and then drive home that night. I could see it, if you lived in St. Louis and want to black those people out like the NFL do, but 4 hours away its crazy.

We have DirectTV and for years lived in the sweet zone, where I could watch the Cards, Cubs, Twins, Royals, White Sox and the Brewers, all by signing up for the sports pak at $10.00 a month. Couple of years ago they took the Twins and Brewers away from us, who know which one will be next, but I am sure in the next couple of years it will be St. Louis and that is it.
I have Directv and still get all of those teams that you mentioned including the Twins and the Brewers.
I wonder what is the difference.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I’m pretty sure MLB rules don’t allow that - again, purely for the regional protection of the RSNs. Even though Marquee is one of them!

I'm for whatever kills the Marquee Network.

I used to enjoy catching a few innings after work. Then I went to listening to a few games. Baseball translates well to radio.

Now the sport has totally lost me.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have Directv and still get all of those teams that you mentioned including the Twins and the Brewers.
I wonder what is the difference.

When I first joined YouTube TV we had the regionals that carried the White Sox, Twins, Royals, Brewers and Cardinals. Now we only have the White Sox (which is fine with me as I am a White Sox fan) and I miss being able to turn another midwestern team's games on. Bally/Sinclair screwed up the RSN stuff for Iowa! YTTV finally told them to get bent. The only reason the White Sox/Bulls/Black Hawks channel survived is that they are a Comcast/NBC company and not a Ballys/Sinclair product.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Another reason "protecting" RSNs is stupid is that the visiting team always suffers for no reason. As a Braves fan, I'm pretty lucky as far as blackouts go, but when they do play one of the ******* seven blacked out teams, apparently I'm expected to purchase a package that allows me to watch the games for 3 days?
Yep. As a Reds fan, games against 3/4 divisional opponents are blacked out. It's ludicrous.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Yep. As a Reds fan, games against 3/4 divisional opponents are blacked out. It's ludicrous.
As a Royals fan, all home games are blacked out, the Twins and Chi Sox road games are too, as are the couple against the Cards and any potential ones against the Brewers and Cubs. Prior to the new scheduling for next year, that is a minimum of 102 games blacked out if I wanted to pay MLBTV directly to watch the games. Throw in day games, late west coast games, and games when I am busy and there's maybe 30 games I could reasonably watch on MLBTV. I joked that I was going to become a fan of an east coast or west coast team just so I could see more games.

Reactions: ianoconnor

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

To me that is the biggest issue! An example, a SD Padres fan who lives in Iowa can't watch his team on the streaming service he/she paid for anytime they play (with the "balanced" schedule now) the White Sox, Twins, Royals, Cardinals, Brewers or Cubs! That policy hits Iowans harder than any other region! Why should Iowans have to pay full price for the MLB streaming package?

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
When I first joined YouTube TV we had the regionals that carried the White Sox, Twins, Royals, Brewers and Cardinals. Now we only have the White Sox (which is fine with me as I am a White Sox fan) and I miss being able to turn another midwestern team's games on. Bally/Sinclair screwed up the RSN stuff for Iowa! YTTV finally told them to get bent. The only reason the White Sox/Bulls/Black Hawks channel survived is that they are a Comcast/NBC company and not a Ballys/Sinclair product.
I'm a Cubs guy my wife never had a team but since we got married and use YouTube TV she's a whitesox gal. That's the only team we can get so our house is fun :rolleyes:. Then again she's a Bears fan and I'm a Lions fan abou the only sports thing we agree on is the Clones thankfully.

• Love
Reactions: cyfanatic

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
"Why would Marquee's leadership not have allowed themselves to stream directly to consumers for a subscription fee?"

This was the comment I was referring to. Does MLB allow the Cubs to take their **** network directly to customers? I don't know.
I believe yes....but they are still subject to the same blackout rules. So, if you are in Iowa, see my previous post, you are still blacked out from seeing those teams on any platform, except their linear cable channels as always. They would use your IP or billing address or whatever to blackout the games from your location.

This I believe is the problem and they now are finally realizing it, and several teams and networks are raising issues with MLB about it. The Cards for instance are part owners of their RSN and they can't stream their network to Iowa, etc. And they realize as more and more people cut the cord it is costing them a huge amount of money. And several RSNs are in serious jeopardy risking bankruptcy. Which is bad for all involved.

It sounds like there may finally be some changes in the near future. But it is yet to be seen as to what, when and how.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I believe yes....but they are still subject to the same blackout rules. So, if you are in Iowa, see my previous post, you are still blacked out from seeing those teams on any platform, except their linear cable channels as always. They would use your IP or billing address or whatever to blackout the games from your location.

This I believe is the problem and they now are finally realizing it, and several teams and networks are raising issues with MLB about it. The Cards for instance are part owners of their RSN and they can't stream their network to Iowa, etc. And they realize as more and more people cut the cord it is costing them a huge amount of money. And several RSNs are in serious jeopardy risking bankruptcy. Which is bad for all involved.

It sounds like there may finally be some changes in the near future. But it is yet to be seen as to what, when and how.
Ballys started their streaming sub last season, but if I recall it was a flustercluck and the gambling overlays were obnoxious.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Easy solution is for MLB to end blackout rule for first months. If attendance deviates from the trend in any meaningful way, then that tells them blackout rules have an impact. If attendance doesn't change, just delete the rule.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

This stuff changes so fast, but here's an article. Maybe this is totally outdated. Baseball has lost me, but the economics of professional sports is pretty interesting. MLB seems to be extraordinary in ******* it up with television

"Marquee is readily available on a number of cable providers, but the only thing that’s really missing is its own standalone streaming platform for games."

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Easy solution is for MLB to end blackout rule for first months. If attendance deviates from the trend in any meaningful way, then that tells them blackout rules have an impact. If attendance doesn't change, just delete the rule.

Again though...the issue regarding blackouts isn't really attendance at games...it is the amount of money the RSN's can or can't make after securing the rights to televise a team's games.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
My family and I usually get to one or two Twins games a year just because we like the ballpark experience, but go to a lot more St Paul Saints games . With two young kids. It’s so much easier to get in and out. And at 12 bucks a ticket and beers under 10 dollars we don’t feel compelled to stay for the entire game if the little ones get tired.
I loved going to Saints games when we lived there pre-kids, can you still tailgate?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Easy solution is for MLB to end blackout rule for first months. If attendance deviates from the trend in any meaningful way, then that tells them blackout rules have an impact. If attendance doesn't change, just delete the rule.u

Attendance hasn't grown during the blackouts, I doubt it will much if blackouts end. I would guess 8-12 ballparks have good attendance.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE