Ash Tree Advice

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
If anyone is a tree expert here, I'm looking for some advice. I have an 8 year old Ash Tree (or what I believe to be an Ash based on some internet research). It is in my front yard and is finally big enough to provide some shade, landscaping, curb appeal etc. But not so big that it would be a major project to remove it.

Do I cut my losses now and remove\replace it. Or let it continue to grow until there is an issue? I don't want to treat as it is costly.

Is there even a chance it won't be affected by the EAB?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Had a nursery look at one in our yard and his statement was to do nothing. The cost to cut it would be similar to the spray to protect it if it's hit. This is more mature though. If it's not big, you could zip it down fairly cheaply and start over.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Yes, it will get the ash borer, I will be shocked if it doesn't. Check with tree services and lawn and garden places to find out who does treatments. There is stuff you can sprinkle at the base, but that usually works with the smaller trees. What's the diameter?

All we take down at work is ash trees because they're all dead.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Just had a 35ft ash tree removed and the stump ground. Was only $400-$500 bucks. Not bad at all. Also have had the treatment done on a slightly larger ash and that was $200 which you have to do every two years. The only treatment that is effective is the arbor jet system.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Yes, it will get the ash borer, I will be shocked if it doesn't. Check with tree services and lawn and garden places to find out who does treatments. There is stuff you can sprinkle at the base, but that usually works with the smaller trees. What's the diameter?

All we take down at work is ash trees because they're all dead.

Right now it is 8" at the widest point. It is maybe 15 feet tall. Didn't grow well the first few years we had it. So, while 8 years old, it really just started to hit a growth spurt the last 3 or 4 years.

It pains me to think about removing it. Not only because it is getting big finally, but it is the center of our front landscaping. We'll need to remove lots of other plants and some stone work to put in a new tree.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have two ashes between sidewalk and street. Not looking forward to losing them at some point.
Since they are in that location and planted when the subdivision when in, are they technically the city's?

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Not an arborist, but I have done some research, since I am on the board of my HOA and we have 30 ash trees. We're treating them because that's what the homeowners wanted. I would have cut them all down and started over, because IMO they will all die and in the mean time it costs about $100/year to treat them. Any arborist who says the ash borer will die out (and they are out there) is being irresponsible, because there is no evidence to indicate that it will.

If I only had one, and it was only 15 feet tall, I would pull the plug and start over

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Right now it is 8" at the widest point. It is maybe 15 feet tall. Didn't grow well the first few years we had it. So, while 8 years old, it really just started to hit a growth spurt the last 3 or 4 years.

It pains me to think about removing it. Not only because it is getting big finally, but it is the center of our front landscaping. We'll need to remove lots of other plants and some stone work to put in a new tree.

8 inches is probably too big for the sprinkle stuff. It's definitely worth it to get it treated. If you notice dead branches at the top and/or woodpeckers in it, it has the borer. We charge $8/inch for treatments, but not sure what the market it like in Iowa, so shop around. Getting it treated twice will probably still be cheaper than having it taken down.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
The city cut a pretty big ash tree between sidewalk and street at their (city) expense at my neighbor's right next to me but treated mine for no charge since it is younger and very healthy. I treated another in my back yard that is huge but again very healthy - about 375.00-worth every penny to me to give it a try.

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
Just had a 35ft ash tree removed and the stump ground. Was only $400-$500 bucks. Not bad at all. Also have had the treatment done on a slightly larger ash and that was $200 which you have to do every two years. The only treatment that is effective is the arbor jet system.

Not bad for $400-500?!? Holy ****. I have 37 ash trees in my 8 acre yard. Better start saving I guess.

Last edited:

rudiskilz

Apr 28, 2010
West Des Moines
i spent an entire summer two years ago driving around and assessing the health of all the cities ash trees.... will never get that time back....

If you had a tree that was tagged with a silver tag or spray painted pink... that was me!

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
If anyone is a tree expert here, I'm looking for some advice. I have an 8 year old Ash Tree (or what I believe to be an Ash based on some internet research). It is in my front yard and is finally big enough to provide some shade, landscaping, curb appeal etc. But not so big that it would be a major project to remove it.

Do I cut my losses now and remove\replace it. Or let it continue to grow until there is an issue? I don't want to treat as it is costly.

Is there even a chance it won't be affected by the EAB?
I've treated two trees larger with a liquid pesticide order on Amazon. It was around $50 for two years for both trees, so good so far.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I bought a Maple and an Elm tree last year because I know my Ash is going to go. Have been buying a pour on Bayer insecticide that is supposed to work on Ash Borers and it's about $25/year. If it can buy me a few years will get that much more size on the new trees.

Hate to see the Ash go. Such nice trees. Now I know what they felt like a couple generations ago when Dutch Elm disease went through and killed the American Elm.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I'd dig a big hole and bury it. Mostly so when people ask about the hole you can say it's an ashhole.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Why not plant a tree or 2 to replace, let them get going and keep the ash around until it does die?

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
Check out the pdf here: https://store.extension.iastate.edu/Product/Emerald-Ash-Borer-Management-Options

Treating yourself with a imidacloprid soil drench is not very expensive. 3 of the 5 trees on my property are ash and I treated the two in my front yard (one about 14" diameter / 40+" circumference and one probably similar to yours) using an imidacloprid product I bought at Theisen's a few weeks ago. I think the gallon jug was $40 or so and I used about half... so treating a tree the size of yours should be <$10/yr. Going by the extension publication you probably want to get on it NOW or else wait until fall for maximum effectiveness.

My plan is to keep up the DIY applications for the near term, and when/if actual infestation occurs make a decision then on using a more expensive "professional" product. I had seen some pretty promising information on Tree-age / emamectin benzoate but I understand it's WAY more expensive and only available to pros. I think it's also a relatively new product--believe the study I saw a year or two ago from Ohio State was the first one that tested it--so I was a bit curious to see if others found similar results but haven't really looked into it since.

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
I would make plans for when the Ash trees may be gone.

We lost most of our Ash trees years before they confirmed the EAB's were in Des Moines. They had the tell-tale stripped bark and evidence of their presence. We reported it to the city and extension services. The local news kept saying that "the ash bugs are coming!" but they came and went through the property I lived on well before the news reported it was a problem.

The smartest thing my landlord did was to plant a red oak and regular oak in the yard directly West of the house while the Ashes were meeting their demise. Their shade grew year by year and replaced the Ash tree responsibilities.

Also - for the Ash wood - use it in the burn pit or the fire pit or the above ground fire pit. Just burn it. It has no value and may have some critters still roaming around. Kill it with fire and make hot dogs or S'Mores. Let that infested Ash pay you back for its service in your yard by burning it.

Good luck on your venture - just get started now.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

At that size, it is really a gamble leaving it, as it can be so cheaply removed. We have one that's maybe 30'.

Help Support Us

Become a patron