At what point...

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
Maybe that isn't a JP issue, is my point. He doesn't actually coach. His job is to hire a quality candidate and give them everything they need to succeed. When has he NOT done that?
I disagree that it's not a JP issue. We have evidence that he hasn't evaluated coaches properly with our poor record during his time. That's like saying Rhoads shouldn't have been fired, cause his players weren't very good. Rhoads was responsible for the players he brought in. Just like Rhoads recruited players to carry out his gameplay, Pollard "recruits" coaches to carry out his. If people can win in Lawrence, Manhattan and Lincoln, then it's possible in Ames.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I disagree that it's not a JP issue. We have evidence that he hasn't evaluated coaches properly with our poor record during his time. That's like saying Rhoads shouldn't have been fired, cause his players weren't very good. Rhoads was responsible for the players he brought in. Just like Rhoads recruited players to carry out his gameplay, Pollard "recruits" coaches to carry out his. If people can win in Lawrence, Manhattan and Lincoln, then it's possible in Ames.
I'm far from a JP fan but all of his hires have been home runs except two. One was Hoiberg who we all know turned out to be a home run anyway. The other was Rhoads who did well but couldn't capitalize on it.

• Agree
Reactions: ExCyment

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
What I don't like that is on Jamie is the smoke that is constantly being blown up our asses. I am fine that we are terrible. But don't do this whole stupid storm crap and all these stupid videos. Just tell us it's going to take some time and go to work.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you probably didn't major in marketing at ISU...

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Matt Campbell didn't suddenly forget how to coach.

What if the key to all of Campbell's success was his OC at Toledo, which isn't at ISU now?

Manning, after game one, doesn't appear to know what he's doing yet, which isn't surprising since he's never been an OC before. Not sure a P5 program should be hiring a guy who has never been an OC before as their OC. We play in the Big 12, we should be able to get a VERY experienced OC in here.

Reactions: CyBobby

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
What if the key to all of Campbell's success was his OC at Toledo, which isn't at ISU now?

Manning, after game one, doesn't appear to know what he's doing yet, which isn't surprising since he's never been an OC before. Not sure a P5 program should be hiring a guy who has never been an OC before as their OC. We play in the Big 12, we should be able to get a VERY experienced OC in here.
You mean like Mark Mangino? That worked out well...

Maybe Manning will figure it out. Maybe he'll be the second coming of Courtney messingham. Maybe it boils down to sloppy QB play once again.

All I know is that the only thing jp should be taking heat for is scheduling UNI, and scheduling them often. This game should only happen once every 10 years. Iowa State needs more games against the Western Illinois of the world

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I'm no JP lover but judging him based on football results isn't fair. This program has a long history of trainwreck Saturdays.

At least he's upgrading facilities and hopefully found a great one with Prohm.

Time will tell on Campbell, but he and Chiz were good hires at the time.

• Agree

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Maybe that isn't a JP issue, is my point. He doesn't actually coach. His job is to hire a quality candidate and give them everything they need to succeed. When has he NOT done that?

Yep. I'd like to know who we could have gotten that was better than Campbell. Obviously the guy had to be a head coach because you all would have rioted had he hired another coordinator.

Campbell pushed all the right buttons. Head coach. Brought almost the entire staff with him. Offensive guy.

It is far to early to say that the Campbell hire was the wrong one. He and his staff coached a very poor game last night. The good part for him is that my expectations are so low for them now that if the team loses by 50, but it appears that the coaches have set foot on the football field before, I will feel better about things!

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone5050

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
One game and people are questioning everything about the new staff?

I don't think anyone is bailing. For me, I am disappointed that they appeared so clueless last night. Hiring a proven head coach who has some insane attention to detail, one would think it wouldn't be quite the **** show it was.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
If Matt and CO. have not fixed the OLine and run game in 3 years we have an issue. Rhoads and CO. had the most dysfunctional OLine staff and OC situation I have witnessed.

Can't be fixed overnight. They did pass protect at least adequately so we are going to have to adjust our Offense accordingly or hope they get better at run blocking.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Not sure.
Campbell hasn't failed at this point. He walked into a train wreck.

At the same time, I'm not sure that the coach exists who can make this place successful in the college football. It might not be a JP problem. It might just be that it can't actually happen.

The bolded is more apparent after yesterday's game. Rhoads should have been gone a year earlier, which didn't help us, and we are 2 years away from building up our lines to where they need to be. It is going to be a lot of up and down till then. I trust Campbell will get us on the right path, but it is going to take some time, unfortunately.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
One game and people are questioning everything about the new staff?

A lot of it is unfair, obviously. I didn't have any issues with play calling like some on here. However, there were two moments that didn't make any difference in the outcome but were frustrating coaching screw-ups. The 12 men on the field on the kickoff was awful and should be embarrassing for whichever coach screwed that up. The other time was when the defense was going on the field after a tv timeout and had to take a timeout immediately. Like I said, neither made a difference in the outcome but neither should ever happen.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
I'm far from a JP fan but all of his hires have been home runs except two. One was Hoiberg who we all know turned out to be a home run anyway. The other was Rhoads who did well but couldn't capitalize on it.
Absolutely not. They're only home runs if they work out, the rest is just hype/success not associated with Iowa State. None of the football coaches have won consistently, so they proved the were bad hires.

• Dislike
Reactions: jkclone

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Absolutely not. They're only home runs if they work out, the rest is just hype/success not associated with Iowa State. None of the football coaches have won consistently, so they proved the were bad hires.
Do you expect him to predict the future and who's to say they haven't done the best of the options we had. You can't blame someone for making the home run hire.

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
This was a bad game. Embarrassing and ugly in nearly every facet. However I'm not ready to question CMC or his staff quite yet. I feel like a lot of our frustration as fans is frustration bleeding over from last year. Hell, it's frustration from the last several years. It's like being a Cubs fan (not this year obviously), when we were constantly in a "rebuilding" year. It takes a while to drag a program in a tail spin out of the cellar. It won't be a pretty year this year. It may even be a crappy year next year. But we need to give it time. IMHO

• Agree

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Not sure what Jamie could've done better. Campbell was a highly-sought-after coach with a very bright future. He brought in the best recruiting class in school history without even coaching a single game. Jamie did his job by hiring the best candidate available. Most national writers thought Campbell was too good for Iowa State.

• Agree