Athletic Dept. releases Gameday Information

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
That's a disingenuous response. Reports are that Ames PD told cars lined up last week that Iowa State had emailed them and asked them to break up the lines.

"Fortunately" I cannot arrive until after 12:00 Saturday, kid has soccer. I imagine university Ave will be clear of bumper to bumper by then.

Will be my first time using grass lots (sold my paved), any advice?
Yeah, keep your paved spot...
Just like Burning Man, they can't get out.
They can't get it out out of their mind.

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Overly simplified but
Everything north of Alumni Center and west of CyTown routed to LW west
Everything south of Alumni Center and west of CyTown routed to Mortenson west via Beach
Everything Center to Hilton routed to LW/University north
Everything north of Alumni Center and east of CyTown routed to LW east via University
Everything south of Alumni Center and east of CyTown routed to left lane of 4th or University S
Haunted Forest and everything back there to right lane of 4th
85/S lots to University south
Grass lots to 16th E

I'd think you'd be able to put out cones during the game to make sure traffic can't cross in the parking lot and stop everything but you're still going to have stop light/pedestrian/non game day traffic issues. Plus you're going to have people in every single one of those situations mad as hell they can't go where they want ruining it for everyone else.
I agree with this, and in my small circle over the years we've come to just about the same conclusions. Of course, no Haunted Forest for MBB.
Why make excuses for why it won't work? Why not encourage the adoption rather than (not you, the ticket office/athletics) tell me how what I've brought up is the same as they've heard from many others and what they talk about, apparently for years on end?
Again, I go back to the need for consistency. If the same is expected of everyone, that is what will happen. When you open it up or allow exceptions, it won't work.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I agree with this, and in my small circle over the years we've come to just about the same conclusions. Of course, no Haunted Forest for MBB.
Why make excuses for why it won't work? Why not encourage the adoption rather than (not you, the ticket office/athletics) tell me how what I've brought up is the same as they've heard from many others and what they talk about, apparently for years on end?
Again, I go back to the need for consistency. If the same is expected of everyone, that is what will happen. When you open it up or allow exceptions, it won't work.
You do need a lot of manpower to do something like that. Especially if you don't want cars going into Greek land to turn back on LW east at Buchanan...Or someone turning off LW west at the MU to go back east.

You also aren't in a vacuum...there are other non game day related users. I can see the emergency services people not being terribly impressed by that plan.

You would also need to be able to get the City of Ames on board and they forgot without Iowa State Ames is absolutely nothing.

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Yeah, keep your paved spot...
That's not bad advice, however consider the choice.

I put stupid money on it ($599) on StubHub for lot C1/C2. I was shocked when it sold so happy to pivot over to grass for this one game. Looking at it from the reverse perspective, someone paid me net $500 to park grass instead of paved.

And, if I arrive after noon as planned and the grass is full despite having a parking pass or a cluster F of an experience, I still will have no regrets

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Why make excuses for why it won't work?

Mostly because you'd need buy-in from the City of Ames, multiple law enforcement agencies, and possibly the DOT (depending on which roads you're including).

Frankly, I'd cite RAGBRAI as precedent. Shutting down or altering vehicle access to multiple "main" roads for two days was okay, so doing the same for a 2-hour period six times per year should be also.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
question for anyone who parked in VetMed-

Can you only enter from the west on S 16th and turn right into the lot? Thought I read that somewhere. What about leaving? Only one way out?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
question for anyone who parked in VetMed-

Can you only enter from the west on S 16th and turn right into the lot? Thought I read that somewhere. What about leaving? Only one way out?

That was the case getting out, for sure. As for getting in, I'm less certain. We arrived around 9:15 coming in from the west, anticipating right-turn only. Traffic wasn't heavy then so perhaps they'd have let you turn left from the east. Not sure I'd chance it, though.

Reactions: CoachHines3

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That's not bad advice, however consider the choice.

I put stupid money on it ($599) on StubHub for lot C1/C2. I was shocked when it sold so happy to pivot over to grass for this one game. Looking at it from the reverse perspective, someone paid me net $500 to park grass instead of paved.

And, if I arrive after noon as planned and the grass is full despite having a parking pass or a cluster F of an experience, I still will have no regrets
I liked G7 for the relaxed environment, but I'm guessing it's problem is the same as the other grass lots. You are shown which row to park but not how to park. Meaning that many people take 1.5 to 2 parking spaces with the gaps they leave. Some would do it and throw up tents in the spots and leave them for afterwards. Showing up later to G7 many times meant you had no parking spot.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
That was the case getting out, for sure. As for getting in, I'm less certain. We arrived around 9:15 coming in from the west, anticipating right-turn only. Traffic wasn't heavy then so perhaps they'd have let you turn left from the east. Not sure I'd chance it, though.
Guessing the one way out was back to the east? Right hand turn out.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, how was that? haha

It wasn't great, but it probably took me as long to get from my parking spot in Vet Med to the intersection at S. 16th, a distance of about 300 yards, as it did to get from that point to Highway 30, another mile and a half away.

I considered turning north on Grand and going up to 13th St to catch I-35, but in looking at traffic on Google Maps I didn't figure there would be any time savings. By the time you hit Grand you're most of the way through the traffic.

Reactions: CoachHines3

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Haunted Forest parking is already sold out of RV and gameday parking for this game. They've sold over 100 RV passes for the game. BIL parked his their last night.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Haunted Forest parking is already sold out of RV and gameday parking for this game. They've sold over 100 RV passes for the game. BIL parked his their last night.
It looked to be at least 1/2 full yesterday afternoon already.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
My advice is to go back to your cars and pop open a beer or two, then leave. Or have everyone drive tanks and let survival of the fittest rule.:D

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
credit to jamie, he did reply to email.
so hes not budging on the 830am entry but if you want to get in line at 6am, knock yourself out
seems fair
guess ISU PD is holding strong on the 30 min

email this morning

1694178669290.png

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
guess ISU PD is holding strong on the 30 min

email this morning

View attachment 116502
The interesting part about these instructions is that (unless I'm mistaken) they only go to season ticket holders. So the single ticket buyers and the secondary & transfer tickets don't get this, right? That's a helluva lot of people who won't know the "rules".

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

The biggest parking problem previously with MBB is the A. D. Refusal to utilize existing space, acres of parking go to waste because people aren't the right donor level.
Pushing parking S of the FB stadium while a giant swath of the center went unused was just mean.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron